1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AI in 0.6

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by eobet, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Asilo_Driver

Asilo_Driver Racer

No, it's called workaround for a game issue. Let's not to paper over cracks.

Lol, you must be kidding. There's no point to call it racing if the opponents are mental. This sort of non-sense statement is not productive, let people "whining" as you say because it shows how problematic is a certain game feature. Let's not turn this forum like "others".

Sebastian Wolff likes this.
  2. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

maybe you guys should read this..... taking particular notice to the bold red...

source: https://en-gb.facebook.com/Assetto.Corsa

So, it's that day of the month again and a new update is ready.

Let's have a look at todays "particular" update.
    As you might have guessed, we won't release any new cars or tracks today. We understand that this might be a bit of a let down for some of you, but then again we have already released 35 cars and their upgrades and 12 tracks... considering AC's physics engine depth, I'm sure there's more to explore than simply jumping from one car to the other.
    So what's in this new update? Lot's of core work to make AC better, some of it very evident, some of it under the surface but very important.

First of all we are enabling AI Quick Races for all cars, all tracks. You can select whatever car you like, whatever track you like and whatever number of opponents (up to the track limits). Most importantly you can select different opponents to race against. Multi-class, multi-era, multi-performances, multi-whatever.. err...no scratch that, multiplayer is not ready yet (we're working on it, you know we do!).

So this is very important, we worked very hard to enable all cars and all tracks to enable the AI. Tons of data to process, but we didn't just stopped there. We have laid out the ground to build a better AI that understands better the intentions of the player. On some cars you might see a better behaviour, on some others more or less the same, but the work is there and slowly we will update all of them. Your feedback is valuable and that's what early access is all about, so thank you in advance!
    What's next? Collisions. You can lean on your opponents now, bump door against door, push and get pushed and the experience should be far better. Most importantly no more landmines and you can go over high kerbs with far more realistic behaviour. That also permits us to make the terrain collisions more accurate and this means more setup work for you, as you might need to make the setup stiffer, user bumpstops, or raise the car height to make sure the car is not bottoming out. If you hear strange scraping noises and experience unexpected spins on fast turns, it might mean that your old setup was way too low... AC is getting more mature and this means that it requests from you the drivers, more skills and more setup work. We are sure you're going to have fun limiting bottoming, without affecting car balance

Sound engine. We have worked on the sound engine to improve the sound of the opponents cars in AI races as well as taking advantage of 5.1 systems. It's been quite an extensive work, way too long to describe, but let us know what you think and if you find any bugs.

As usual lot's of little fixes, bug hunting and optimisations as usual, but also new much requested features like steering wheel hiding, look behind, smoke rendering on mirrors with on/off option, penalties system selectable from UI and more. We are listening the community and working out all the small little details, one by one.

Last but not least, a very important and very complicated theme module management for the UI. What does that means? Modders can now write their plugins and connect them inside the User Interface (like the amazing "Rivali" suite). Theme modules are then saved inside the username/documents/assetto corsa folder. This is very important, as we can update the user interface everytime we think necessary and users will not lose their installed mods and UI modifications (if made following our guidelines). Also, users can now select which UI mods can enable from Options/General menu. There is also an example with documentation for modders. This is far more important than it might seem, and opens the door to modders to create amazing applications that work seamlessly inside Assetto Corsa User Interface.

Hope you have fun with this new update, looking forward to hear your feedback.

The Assetto Corsa development team

3. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Yup, I read it.

Eric, RelapseUK and MsportDAN like this.
  4. plaid

plaid Alien

I overall hope they concentrate on advance the AI's awareness and reaction if they are cloth to others first and drive cleaner lines/makes less mistakes first. This would take some time.

At the point they drive clean and are competent to avoid crashes and heavier bump the next step should be to advance their offensive skills and increase their aggressiveness (+ slider to set).

The archived awareness and skills to handle dangerous situations, should make their attempts of overtakes and defending their position then safer for them and the player.

Thats the vague formula I would have in mind, without any idea of the practical development.

Short: Before making them challenging, they first should know how to drive.

Which makes AI hard for Sims, opposite to arcade-games, is, that mistakes while next to each other or incompetence when overtaking, got heavy consequences. So you turn around get off track and the race is over, while in an arcadegame the car is to heavy/doesnt turn or its easy to compensate. If you compensate it with passiveness it becomes boring on the other hand.
    Based on that fact, I wouldnt mind, if the AI and player cars are handled differently.

Just at the end it should be challenging withlout much potential of frustration, inculding longer races.
    Its no drama to ruin a 5 lap-race on Imola afterall.

5. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

The AI should use also every colour (look at attachment). Its looking really stupid, if the selected car got only 3 colours available.

AI wont shift down on Imola too and are too fast for the highest gear:

Example of my speed to compare:

Attached Files:

6. Jenna Tailya

Jenna Tailya Gamer

Hi all.
    AI and I don't get along; If they could be just a little less aggressive it would suit me just fine. I've been spun, rammed, flipped and pushed so far off track it was unbelievable.
    While most of the racing is great fun sometimes AI can be sooooo frustrating.

Robin_NL likes this.
  7. Deh

Deh Racer

The supercars race seens to be fine, it depends on the special event u are playing. The bmw race was frustating, they just don't care for you racing line.

Enviado de meu GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk

8. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Yesterday night I tried E30 DTM and 11 opponents @ Vallelunga @ 100% strength. I almost wanted to throw my G25 out of the window after 30 minutes of > 10 times resetting/restarting and not trying to brag but I'm not a sim apprentice imho.... Frustrating is just an understatement and I 'm with Jenna on this one:)

Cheers
    Robin

9. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

I didnt read the whole topic, but quick read the last 4 pages.
    Popular phrase was "I dont get why people defend AI".
    Well, I dont get why people bash it.
    Yes, its not the best there could be, and yes it can get alot better, but its in a pretty good stage atm and certainly moving in the right direction!

I wonder how many of those complaining about the AI aggression, actually respect them.
    Having BEEN in MP races (in other sims) I have spent up to 3 laps following someone, before even considering trying an overtake, just to learn how he drives and where he is slow, so that I can pass SAFELY.
    Apart from some VERY RARE occasions of mismatching, I have NEVER started an MP race last and finished first!

Those of you complaining about getting rammed, did you watch the replay after?? Did you try to find out who and what went wrong??
    I am willing to bet 99% of those incidents were caused by the player and not the AI!

Anyway, normally I wouldnt bother, but the way I see this is going, there is great danger we end up with something like moving chicanes (Gangi TM), and I would NOT like that!

10. I just ran the same combo....First race I was up to 4th at the end of the first lap and made my way up to second and spun myself out going for the lead and hitting the leader a couple laps later....The next race I made it all the way up to 2nd halfway through the first lap and ended up going on to win. I'm not that fast (first couple laps in the 1:45.xx with the last couple in the 1:44.xx range) but the AI are pretty clueless through the first kink and hard right hander. They also don't start very well at all; I got past at least half of them around the start/finish line. They swerve side to side for no reason when you are behind them and they brake pretty early and take a weird line out of a couple of the turns but never did anything especially aggressive.

11. Asilo_Driver

Asilo_Driver Racer

:D

I laughed.

It seems you've never played against AI yet.

BugA and Robin_NL like this.
  12. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

I thought the same, but you wrote it down.;)

9 out of 10 times AI is to blame. Trust me.

Cheers
    Robin

Asilo_Driver likes this.
  13. What kind of lap times are you running @Robin_NL? The only time the AI are spinning me out is if I am really slow mid-corner because I dive-bombed them. They brake really early so I don't see how they would rear-end you when braking into a turn...Going down a straight and entering a turn you need to hold a steady line or they get confused but most of the time they are overly cautious and back off rather than be aggressive. Are you just getting wrecked by them the first half of the first lap when everything is crazy or is this happening after the first lap when everything is strung out and you fight with them one on one?

14. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

In bold: This.

I won a few races(Silverstone, Magione, Mugello etc) @ 100% strength , but not at Vallelunga. It's a mess the first (2) lap(s)...

And I remember at the end of the 5th lap an AI car braking me out the last bend as well, impossible braking distances and impossible angles of attack/driving lines...

But in bold is what is going on yeah.

Cheers
    Robin

15. At Magione I don't have alot of the first lap problems...Between them getting horridly sluggish starts and then parting like the Red Sea at the kink (Curva Grande I think it is called) and then braking really early for turn 1 I end up really close to the front more times than not in the DTM E30. I have been spun out in the kink but if it has happened to you 10 times in a row you have to at least be partly to blame.

In other combo's I have rode around in the back not passing a single car for the first lap and then seeing how far up I can make it before the checkered and have had fun. Once you get them with at least a few car lengths between them they race pretty good IMO. They do unpredictable things every few turns but alot of people on-line do the same stuff. Sorry to hear you're not having fun but saying that they are worthless and a waste of the devs time really isn't the type of feedback that will produce any positive results.

My biggest complaint is that they always seem to have perfect traction when accelerating. No matter how bad their corner exit is they get perfect grip and execute shifts at the perfect time and will almost always win in a drag race down a straight-way.

16. Each time I get hit by the AI (I never try to get a jump on the pack in the 1st turn, it's just silly in there) I evaluate weather I did something wrong, like trying a pass on a corner when I'm too far back to make the maneuver. After coming back on the track did I pull right into the fast lane like I owned it. Much more often than not it's my fault I got hit.

One collision I do blame the AI for is when I have to break hard in a corner to prevent hitting the car in front only to have the car behind me take me out. Taking cars down one at a time is awesome, when your trying to get past 2 that are close together is madness.

17. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

I dont know how to respond to such a juvenile reply, other than:
    No, it seems YOU've never played against AI yet!!!
    And maybe start pulling some hair....

What saddens me, more than some trying to push Kunos into making AI a useless feature, is that I will probably have to meet most of them online, when MP gets released,
    and I can just imagine all the bickering and whining...
    (you hit me, you rammed me, you got in front of me, you didnt stop by the side of the road to let me pass)

18. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Anyway...I love AC, I adore the F40s, the E30 DTM, 599, 1M , 458 etc. etc. I love Mugello, Sliverstone, Magione... I drift (Joux Plane, I 've been a die hard RBR racer , ranking 17th some 10 years ago at some stages ...) do hotlaps, look at the replays, try other setups , practise a lot, and have A LOT OF FUN for 35 euros.

---->It's the best 35 euros I EVER SPENT, and it's only getting better! Almost every night 1-2 hours driving fun... My wife doesn't even know me anymore lol.

But I have to say the AI isn't like the AI in GTR2 , LFS or even GT5 imo.

Cheers
    Robin

19. Eric

Eric Simracer

Anyone who thinks the AI is good needs their head examined.

Im sure Kunos is well aware of the ramming, brake slamming good time the AI delivers at this point. They will fix it. Patience

20. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

I posted a number of statements earlier saying how much I loved the AI, it's only fair to also report some poorer experience for context.

I was tired and a bit irritated yesterday, but after spending some time working on a skin, I ran a couple of 10 lap Silverstone GT races with a mix of BMWs (also with a few F EVOXXs, in the beginning, but eh, those are crazy still). Tired, not too careful, and racing with a "get out of my way, I am quicker" attitude. (instead of careful and deliberate, and reading opponents)

Well, it was a wreck fest. Finally decided it was enough and went to bed, when I hit/got hit after trying to force my way through the 1st corner in 6th gear, with cars already on the line, and actually got spectacularly bounced into the sky and rolled over.

A completely different experience from driving carefully, anticipating AI's moves and giving them room.

So yes, it needs work, but your racing experience will be a lot better if you drive carefully and prioritize clean racing over speed.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    Fat Rich likes this.