1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AI in 0.6

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by eobet, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Xez

Xez Simracer

Apart from all the other points above relating to the AI cars rear-ending you, intentionally taking you out, brake-testing you, just stopping mid-corner, etc., etc…. I'd like to know why the AI cars don't get penalised for going off track or causing accidents, but the real drivers do!

Also, are the AI cars starting on cold tyres or heated tyres? Seems to me they have much more grip in the opening laps.

2. *SUPERCRAZYRAGEMODEON*
    After being crashed out at Magione about 14 times, I conclude that the AI there are the worst I've ever experienced... Sorry.

They brake too early, go too slowly at the apex, defend their line as if you weren't there. Jesus....

I might add that at Monza they're much, much better ;)

And I still don't understand this start at the back thing.... AND the skill of the AI exponentially turns down as they go further down the grid, so you get stuck behind some idiot that either hits you off of the track, or slows you down so you can't catch the leader.

*SUPERCRAZYRAGEMODEOFF*

Sorry about the rant, but this is the angriest I've been at a game... ever :confused:

Everything else about AC is awesome though :D

Horus, Xez, GhettoRice and 1 other person like this.
  3. AugGust

AugGust Racer

I don't know why so many people are trying to defend the AI. Personally i got very little experience in multiplayer, but i'm simply doing the same and comparing them to the AI in other sims. I have good battles with the AI in other sims, and in here they just take me out blindly

4. It's because they can be really enjoyable in some situations, but in others they do as you mention.... We'll just have to wait for it to get better. Good luck Kunos ;)

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  5. No you are right.

6. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

I find it absolutely fascinating how there are such strong different reactions about the AI from both sides. On the one hand those that find it impossible and "the worst I've ever experienced", whereas there are others, including myself, who find it some of the best AI experience ever had, even if a work in progress.

Not saying either one is more valid than the other, and the latter may well be to deal around the issues with AI and still find enjoyment, but fascinating all the same.

7. I have a feeling that those who rage at the AI would rage at other players in MP as well: I've started to pause the race whenever I crashed because of the 'manic' AI and lo and behold that most of the time, not always, it was MY fault.

waxweazle and Cote Dazur like this.
  8. I'm just saying for at Magione with the cars I was running... Other than that, I actually like the AI ;)

9. I've been racing against the AI almost exclusively at Magione....fastest car I've used is the 458 and Mclaren though with most races uses Lotus Exige Roadster or E92 M3.....Hang at the back for half a lap and then spend the the next 4 and a half laps seeing how far up I can get; usually somewhere between 4th and 1st on 100% difficulty.

Maybe those of ya'll that are having a bad time are using Zonda's or GT race cars or something but 10 AI in the slower cars is good fun after the first lap.

10. plaid

plaid Alien

I dont get why some praise the AI. There should be much improvement in the future, to call it really good.
    Most that critise the AI probably dont have any antent to "bash/rage/whatever".

Its an early version and for that, it isnt bad, but there are still things wrong and especially if its about AI there is - in all genres of games - often much room to improve.

It all comes down what you define a good AI and what is necessary to make a AI good or at least OK. And you preferences regarding aggressiveness

There are clearly still weaknesses, where the AI makes big mistakes, no matter if pure driving skill, reactions regarding other cars and some for example play a bigger role in a longterm, so in long race too many time costing mistakes or a tendency to extreme spaces in the field.

What really doesnt help is this "its all ok", "its enough" like we would talk about a child that didnt archive much in some regard and we have to pamper it, so it doesnt feel bad.

There is clearly an improvement regarding the awareness of the player. But before and more so now, they are easy to fight/overtake. And still they often ruin a race, by hittinmg you, btw less cause they are aggressive but simply not competent.
    There is the problem, its no solution to compensate with making them being faster while they drive alone with no car around.
    Its usually where racing AI's simply suck: Not being fast around the track, but reacting to others and be demanding regarding overtaking and prevent overtakes especially from a smart person.

If you make a long race and concentrate on one AI car from its own perspective you can count all the mistakes and there are many. There seem to be a selectiveness regarding the observations here, for me at least.

In many cases the reason people dont like or care about AI are the established standards in AI are quite low after all. But no reason to dont make it better.

Sorry for the meta-post. :D

11. Smolnyi

Smolnyi Gamer

Not only AI is terrible in 0.6 but the handling become a crap.
    I can't drive and have fun and have no nerves anymore.

12. 10 AI at Magione with street cars works pretty good...They do some weird things the first lap that needs to be sorted out but after that they can be quite fun to march through on the way to the front. You can get away with putting it in the middle three wide and make passes on the outside and generally get away with things that would never happen against real people.

I get spun out or pushed off course by them if I try to race with them on the first lap but after that they aren't that bad....They still need work and all but I don't understand people saying they are no fun at all and call them "crap" and worse.

13. BMASTER

BMASTER Hardcore Simmer

It's not that I don't agree with you. But for me, the AI is pretty good for this early stage. Sure, they have a long way to go from here.
    And don't forget, AI is just a code that goes through many option, checks which option meets the most condition for the actual situation. Mixed with some randomness you have an AI. It's simplified, but more or less, this is how AI works.
    We need more sliders for the AI, not just the overall strength. More like rFactor (it's the only game I can compare the AI against) with aggressiveness and additionally some more sliders like driver awareness, constancy and individuality.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

Backmarker likes this.
  14. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Ive Been racing Faster cars at Magione and been fairly good. 599 is quite a brutal battle but they are pretty darn quick there and I had some good 10 lap races. I have easily beaten all my PB's racing AI as I needed to in order to catch some of those buggers and my hotlap times weren't so bad to begin with.

Get too many of them and the starts can be a nightmare but had good races at Magione, Silverstone, Vallelunga and Monza Mugello only track that really struggles is Imola because they keep hitting pit straight and they are quite slow in sections there.

Best to avoid mixed classes or cars with too big a gap in speed and braking, P4/5 599 can be good Z4GT3, M3GT2, Forumal Arbarth and pretty much all the road cars except the F40 and Zonda seems to have more issues staying on track.

Give them some racing room and dont force your way in mid pack coming into t1 and you should be ok, they make a few more mistakes then Id like and over 10 laps especially if you are right on their bumper most cars will have a lockup giving you an easy pass. I just retried the special event e30 at Mugello in 0.6.2 and they seem better into t1 but still a little slow, giving the leader a gap I couldnt catch him. One race I did 4 laps in a row 2:04.04 to 2:04.7 and didnt gain the 2 seconds I lost in the first lap to him, next race I beat him as I got closer earlier and battling the leader slowed us both down quite a bit with my fastest lap being the second as I caught him with a low 2:04 then was about a second slow each lap trying to get by as he slowed me down in some spots.

I think the slower levels will give more people trouble as there will be bigger speed differences between you and them, at 100% they are pretty solid just slow in a pack and a couple of corners. I think the AI are better then most others in terms of pace though are still very rough around the edges. Multiplayer will be much worse then racing AI if your not aware of the cars around you.

15. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

do you need some hankies?

back to the topic: i think some driver should drive different, when they fight against AI. You cant drive always on ideal line and have to adjust your driving style (like you do in the mp;)). I agree that the AI could drive some corners faster and on another brake better, but when i compare to other ones, its not crap!

16. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

think this thread is blowing it out of proportion a bit... its not that bad, and a few tweaks here n there would help, to say its the worst AI ever vo, bit much....

imo

Rather have this AI to build on rather than the lifeless AI of forza and GT, that are just boring drones on rails...

17. Deh

Deh Racer

The AI is better, but not good enough yet. When the AI is trying to overtake you, you better get out of the way, they WILL crash you and it seens like they never spin.

18. bromstarzan

bromstarzan Hardcore Simmer

Good post! It sums up my thoughts on 0.6.2 pretty well. That said, I've tested mainly the slower cars, focussing on the E30 series. Apparantly, there are big differences in the development stage for various cars (and tracks too, I guess), as KS also pointed out along with the 0.6 update.

I'd like to highlight especially (8) and how I noticed this frequently at Silverstone International (this time in Lotus Elise). Have not tested the long track enough to compare. As for (15), almost feels like an exploit at the moment, especially at Mugello/Vallelunga. Also noticed the substantial improvement you mention in (5). The side by side (parallell lanes) issues is another thing I pointed out here (in red).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  19. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

KN need to adjust the AI swerving... blindly

20. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

not always, try the 1M or KTM or Lotus Exige (my examples, that i say over and over again) they brake really cool in my races atleast.
    BTW they spin too, just ram them on the side and not from behind ;)