1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Adding a motion seat for more immersion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by McClusky, Oct 31, 2016.

1. McClusky

McClusky Gamer

Before I bought the GS-105 I researched many DIY motion seats so when I looked up ‘Desk Racer Motion’ I was reminded of what steered me to a pre-built product; Quotes from a ‘motiondave’ build “I calculated the total space taking into account thickness of steel and wood sheeting”, “I welded some up supports for the motors to connect to”, “I welded a plate on the end and drilled holes for bolts to mount to it”, “Then it was a matter of wiring jrks, power supplies, wiring motors, and bolting it all together” and this from another builder “I have problems with the construction of a 2DOF, I am using a R3 Arduino and motor controllers IBT-2, but I cannot make engines, and install the SMC3, and does not work to move, I made the connections according to its instructions, set the simtools as indicated, but still does not work” and it goes on.

Yes you can save money on a DIY but how much time is invested on any given build doing research and troubleshooting? If I convert the time spent doing all of that to $$$ it adds up, time spent away from family, other projects around the house, time away from playing my favorite sims (the latter may be the most important ;)). Bottom line: If you have the time and resources do a DIY if you don’t have a lot of free time or knowledge or the proper tools and/or if you have the $$$ buy a pre-built. Either way you go the end result is worth it.

ShredatorFIN and Tim Meuris like this.
  2. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

Are you aware of this things existence? http://www.pro-sim.co.uk/product/h-pattern-shifter/#tab-description

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  3. Jack_NL

Jack_NL Simracer

Spoilt brats with there motion rigs (kidding!)

Back in the day's of Fia GTR1 we only had "Human Force Feedback" to simulate motion
    check out who is the human that applies the Force Feedback :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  4. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Seems interesting indeed. 2 questions, out of curiosity:

- Do you feel the backend coming loose on oversteer? It differentiates just turning left/right VS. back end stepping out realistically?
    - How long warranty?

5. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Alien

If your not willing to learn a new skill/Knowledge base, a Commercial rig isn't much better, You still have to learn and teach yourself How to tune and How to setup a profile for said motion rig, DIY might be a higher learning curve, but I honestly cant say that we've had a Single DIY User come through the ranks and Not Absolutely love the process of building his or her rig. Your seriously missing out just "throwing money" at the problem.

You start off quoting dave who's got the most simple legit method for a Desk racer which is Easy peezy to build and wire up, A Jrk 12v12 has 7 wires to connect, 2 power 2 for motor and 3 for feedback, You cant say the same for a old school Arduino setup. Research and troubleshooting, well the Research comes from reading other's project threads and getting a feel for the type/style of rigs out there and whats possible, The Trouble shooting will be limited if you read a few guys threads and comprehend what your doing....this isn't rocket science....its basic building skills with some welding tossed in. (tho you can do it without a single weld if needed)

Geko will have No traction loss motion.

No idea on warranty to be honest...tho as other's have said, its pretty basic mechanics hidden under the leather/pleather.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  6. McClusky

McClusky Gamer

I don't understand why people want to "hammer" what they feel is the best way to do something. I made this thread to share my experience, not to get hijacked and bicker or defend my reason for not going DIY. I didn't miss out on anything and I didn't waste my money either and maybe my mind cannot comprehend a DIY, maybe I have a learning disability (which I do) so frankly I’m offended by you saying “this isn't rocket science....its basic building skills”, I’m sorry I’m not on the same level as you.

7. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

No I didn't. Pretty cool.
    I have something quite different in mind and I have to see if it will work.
    All my ideas don't always work. My wife doesn't let me forget about those. Probably because I hate to throw anything away. :eek:

bondyboy likes this.
  8. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

the warranty is one year by the way

9. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

saw the shifters posted by bondyboy before
    steep price the last one

but will a h-pattern be on your schedule as well?
    haven't seen one of these in ffbform before

10. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

I'll start with H pattern 5 speed North America. Because of where I live. Probably the most fun but I'm open for anything. I don't know if there is much point making a jamming long linkage front wheel drive shifter but someone here may call me on it.
    The most important part is gears fitting together for me.

Does anyone have the clutch feeling right? I don't have much of a slip engagement but more of a light switch on or off.

11. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

No? In this video he catches a few slides and the seat seems to react to that somewhat.

But maybe it's not felt/perceived as sideways slip, just silmilar as any turning? On their page they do say it simulates "all forces on horizontal plane".

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  12. McClusky

McClusky Gamer

Here's an answer from Julien at Gekosystems (I would answer too but it would be long-drawn-out, but I totally agree with below):

Yes you can feel at the same time the cornering force (trajectory force), and also how the car is behaving (handling forces).

In this video you can click in the description at 0:32 you can see what happens when oversteering. Same thing at 2:22

After some time you get a very clear feeling of what the car is doing by listening to your back. You intuitively learn what force feedback to expect from the GS-105 for a given wheel input, and every little discrepancy warns you about oversteering/understeering.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  13. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Alien

Nope, All your seeing there is a little Sway kick back, I dont see where and or how with the mechanics you could justify adding in any TL data. It would just be muddled over due to the lack of mechanics to actually give said TL sensation.

14. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Hmm, the Geko Systems guy seems to claim it does. Maybe it's not realistic to expect real traction loss feel from product of this price range. People on Racedepartment who have it seem to like it: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/does-anyone-have-experience-with-a-geko-gs-105.86977/

Here at 3:57 rear end stepping out seems to cause pretty "violent" effect, looks quite believable.

But don't know if it would feel right at all, because it's only affecting your back. Too bad there is no way to test this thing in any store here.

15. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

yup, the 'bottomfeel' isn't there
    so i bolted two buttkickers underneath the seating panel

16. McClusky

McClusky Gamer

Agree, its not a seat of the pants feel. I can "feel" the small step-outs at times but not the longer ones, when I feel it its like the back rest gets lighter (maybe a frequency setting?).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  17. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

got the same feeling here at those moments
    I know, it ain't perfect, nothing is
    but I haven't complained yet about the purchase
    takes some getting used too but I just friggin' love it!

McClusky likes this.
  18. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Alien

again that is sway and nothing more...slowing down to .25 speed might help you understand the forces at play in that TL/snap back moment.

There's 5 logical Forces a set mover/full frame or what ever have you style frame will tend to try and simulate/replicate.

Pitch, Roll, Heave, Sway and Surge. Ive heard of Dbox and the likes claiming to have TL motion, but its the same deal as a seat mover/Full frame, You dont have the mechanics to Go in a TL axis, therefor all your doing is muddling up the profile with a Axis that it Really cant even simulate let alone replicate.

19. achristoffer

achristoffer Racer

Thank you very much for sharing this! I have been thinking about ways to get g-forces into my simrig and I wanted to buy the simxperience G-Seat but from what I understand it is still unavailable. I had looked at the Gs-105 at the time as an alternative but ultimately did not pull the trigger.

In the beginning of this year samsung announced their Entrim 4d headset and that directly stimulates nerves in your inner ear to create the sense of real g-forces. This apparently works with g-forces and rotation on all axis, think about that for a second. In theory that thing would let you feel pretty much everything.

Here is a short article about it: http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11220836/samsung-etrim-4d-headphones-movement-vr-inner-ear

I think that is where I bet my money on at this point in time.

20. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

This looks REALLY cool and may change/replace motionseats forever. However, first i wanna test it out myself before i believe it. How far is it from becoming a consumer version and what's the longterm consequence for your body? Last question is one which i always ask when i see new stuff popping up...

Cote Dazur likes this.