1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

So after 3 years of development the AI still can't pass slower cars???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by HoiHman, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Nobody speaks of that player should have an easy pass on the AI. Its just that currently the fallout from the stupid behavior of the aI when braking way too early at lower AI settings is more visible and obvious to the player, than an AI hat brakes and accelerates properly and then gets limited in top speed a bit on the straight. Player should also not lower the AI to always win or race up and away. But if the AI leaves player trailing behind 6 or 10 seconds per lap, than player obviously has disconnected from the pace. And if player does not care to fiddle with setups, just want to have his daily dose of quick fun, then the AI slider is what he uses. Its been like this since 25 years. Most players are not fanatic hardcore enthusiasts. They just want to have their daily dose of fun.

And its no fun to lose to the aI on a long straight, only to compensate those 4 seconds lost easily because the AI starts to brake into the next turn three times earlier than it should. You all too clearly then see that yiou race against an AI driver who is stupid but sits in the faster car. That is fun? Not to me. As I said, the AI currently gets tuned by making it behaving stupidly. And player'S eye catches that in these situations. That the AI misses 40 PS in its engine'S top output, or more or less, while still fighting the player in turns and braking manouvers - that is far less obtrusive to player'S perception. The player only sees that the AI is easier to be kept up with, and he is always free to adapt to that by increasing the AI level again so that on the straight he has parity only, for example. The braking and turning behavior in my suggestion would not be much affected by changing the AI setting. Lowering and reduction of AI laptimes are only be achieved by increasing or reducing engine output/top speed.

2. rge75

rge75 Simracer

That's why I always wish the AI to automatically adjust its speed instead of that percentage lever. No matter if you were a fast or an average driver in GPL. Beating Clark was always a challenge. And that's why a championship was fun. You didn't win every race, but you were able to be in the top 6.

You're correct with many of your points and I'm also not a fanatic (I always run default setup), but I still disagree with the point of reducing the engine output as a valid strategy to lower AI laptimes ;-)

3. Turk

Turk Alien

I did the Porsche suv challenge last night against AI at Imola, the AI can be a bit bonkers at times. Now in fairness I was taking huge liberties with track limits to "test" the SUV. But the AI was darting left and right in the braking zones making it almost impossible to avoid a collision into the first corner.

Another thing that annoys me with the AI is they don't seem to have any warm up period, and act like asses coming out of the pits, immediately going to battle.

Sometimes they can be excellent, one on one they can give a fair fight. The more cars in the equation though, the more they become very obviously computer controlled.

They do still get stuck behind slow moving traffic. In the race I mentioned at Imola I had a tip with one of them and he just had a hissy fit, stoped the car in the middle of the road and none of the cars behind would overtake him.

I can see that there is the makings of really good AI in there, but at the moment it's hard to get anything consistent out of them. I always consider the AI as something to practice against though, if I want a proper racing challenge online is always going to be the place to go.

4. Tom 00

Tom 00 Simracer

The Ai was awful last time I tried it, just play online and hot lap.

5. Louizf

Louizf Racer

The AI was starting to get really good indeed. I remember being passed even trying to block the AI sometimes, the AI keep their lines while you try to overtake... even on modded tracks.

Anyway... custom championships are coming next year and I think that Kunos may give some attention to the AI to make things more interesting to this mode.

6. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Biggest concern to me is the behaviour of AI on Spa. Always do Eau Rouge and Blanchimont too slow. Its just create a easy overtake point on the track, I just wait for one of these two corners to do my overtakes.

On other tracks like Nurburgring GP or GT the AI is fast on all corners and the race become very challenge, you real have to create a situation to overtake, like it is on real racing.

7. HoiHman

HoiHman Simracer

Besides that the AI doesn't clear any backmarkers, i also have a problem with the difficulty settings. Sometimes you need "Alien skills" to beat the AI at 80-85%.

Good AI isn't the same as AI driving fast.

PCARS for example does a much better job and i can really have some intresting battles with the AI. They also have their flaws, but at least they overtake you and don't give up easily in the corners.

The whole reason i started this topic is because i'm genuinly supprised that stuff like mentioned in the OP still is not fixed yet after such a long period of development.

8. Skybird

Skybird Alien

^ This. And again.

Repeat.

MsportDAN likes this.
  9. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I think the mix of cars available makes it hard to create really solid AI. There's weirdness even in single series sims/games, in AC they have to deal with cars as diverse as 60s Fiat 595 and the Porsche 919...

I'm more of a hotlapper than a racer but I've been running some 3.0 RSR special events with them lately and I've had fun. They aren't perfect but it's a big improvement from that awful period 2 years ago when they were unusable...

10. Linus27

Linus27 Simracer

I'm frustrated with the AI as well, especially as I generally play offline. The issues I have seen are,

1. Getting stuck behind a slower car in a multi-class race.
    2. Stopping on the start/finish straight when another AI car enters the pits.
    3. Driving in a a line and not attempting to overtake.
    4. Too slow at certain parts on certain tracks, for example Eau Rouge.
    5. Crazy braking on starts or going into corners when other cars are nearby.
    6. Way too slow at starting and getting off the line.

11. arthur666

arthur666 Alien

As a 99% offline driver, this issue is by far my biggest problem with AC.

dodge33cymru likes this.
  12. xela1

xela1 Racer

yes also think so AC turns into a "hot lap racing simulator" cause a lot- really a lot of great racing cars haven't got opponents

13. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

but even something closer to Raceroom, yes its not brilliant but its the nearest to rf2 anyone has gotten.

14. TheBoss

TheBoss Hardcore Simmer

The AI is taking a lot of work and never feels good, I wish they had invested that time in putting together an online iRacing style.

15. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Yup. I wish we could change like maybe an .ini setting to "Aggressive AI = 1" so AC would also have the old AI code, 2 AI codes new and old. It was just... better

Thing I like about the current AI is how they lose stability control if you hit them. But isn't it possible to have that, and adding the old code. The slow AI in Eau Rouge, seems they don't take the optimal line (clearly over the first kerb on left side) and thus have to brake too much

16. Louizf

Louizf Racer

If you run really long races, they will get stuck behind any slower car, even if in theory they speeds are consistent. The only chance they got is at straights and that's it.
    If a car can overcome another by cornering speed, forget it, it will get stuck behind the one with better top speed for the rest of the race unless some crazy event happens.

17. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

This I agree with.

I keep bumping the physics topic on it, so it doesn't get buried.

Hopefully after Porsche pack 3 they won't be under huge schedule crunch so they can look at the issues in January.

I am okay with AI racing but the slowing down/stopping on straight while other AI pits or exiting pits is absolute killer.

Makes me want to punch my screen.

You can have amazing 15 lap race with Cayman GT4 AI and than one of them pits and others bunch up like idiots.

Jebus and MsportDAN like this.
  18. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

It would be interesting to take my telemetary (as an 85% driver), and that of an alien driver - the "difference" is what should be used to slow down the AI drivers, be that braking too early, or not accelerating from a hairpin hard enough, or not hitting a fast apex. But not to simply reduce the AI top speed.

Or maybe the game engine could analyse my 50 quickest laps and extract my "lameness" to make the AI more like me. So 100% would contain no "human", and as you reduce the difficulty the sim adds more "human".

19. AccAkut

AccAkut Alien

I just came back to a AI race on the Ring I had left running (20 laps)... all cars (all Porsches) were following the Cayman GT4 roadcar bumper to bumper, including 919 and both short and long tail...

20. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

maybe don't race mixed class?

sacredaardvark likes this.