1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

So after 3 years of development the AI still can't pass slower cars???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by HoiHman, Nov 25, 2016.

1. HoiHman

HoiHman Simracer

That's totally unaccaptable.

So this morning i want to do a quick race with 17AI in Zandvoort. I was on pole at the start, but i had to adjust the cockpit view. So i started up the race and left my car standing on the grid, with my foot on the brake and used the app to adjust my cockpit view.
    About 45 seconds after the lights went green only 7 cars overtook me and the other 10 AI cars were still on the grid behind me :(

2. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Road cars and race cars is a weird combo though. Zandvoort is quite narrow, maybe that causes an issue.

At Spa with road cars they passed slower cars on Kemmel and start finish, they had a look at other places but didn't make it stick.

3. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

We all hope that the AI will improve still and that they will be able to deal with cars slowing down in front of them whatever the reason, as you are correct, this also happens in real life, same with cars with different performance, it would be great.
    When you say the AI have not improved much, I have to disagree, we have seen tremoundous improvement with the AI, to a point that for many of us this is the Best AI available in SIM today, some more improvement are still needed and if history teaches us anything, Kunos will not let us down, this aspect of the SIM will get better, like all the other aspect.
    Although a great track day simulator, the greatest really!, AC is much more than than. I spend most of my time with AI on track and enjoys it tremendously and when I am not driving in AC, it is mostly because I want to have access to a track that we do not have access to in AC, but then in the other SIM, I do only hot lap because their AI is nothing like real driving. The other AI might be considered entertaining, but driving realistically, not a chance!

4. davperes

davperes Rookie

Some improvements have been made, but they are minor and not very noticeable when racing... although I've only got into AC this year so maybe I would have had a different opinion if I had been playing since the beginning. Regardless, it seems to me that there's still a long way to go for the AI in Assetto Corsa to reach a "good enough" stage.

Well... I couldn't disagree more, but everyone has different opinions. AC is currently the sim I spend the most time with, for a number of different reasons (content, physics, laser-scanned tracks, constant development, mods, etc) but AI is definitely not one of them.

I'll shut up now because it's not my intention to complain too much about this... just a little bit so that Kunos doesn't forget that some of us want better AI :p
    And the game will still be supported at least until the end of 2017 so let's see what happens... 2016 was an amazing year for AC so I can't wait to see what comes next!

Linus27, Cote Dazur and rge75 like this.
  5. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

If I had started AC sometime this year, I would have the same opinion about AI improvement, the last 6 month has been less rapid. I started since day one, so I have seen out standing improvements.
    I will assume that since you rate the AI as being a low point of AC, it is because you prefer an other type of AI from an other SIM, fair enough, but since none, that I know of are any near perfect, to me AC AI imperfections are the best compromise. Perfection would be heaven, assuming perfection looks the same for you and I, which I doubt it does.
    I hope AI in AC reaches a state you find satisfactory so you and I can have the same fun racing the AI.

6. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

The AI has come a long way, but the big improvement happened ages ago. I got the game around 1.0 and for long time AI was terrible, totally ignoring the player and snaking around the tracks, like a freight train on murder spree. Now it's much more lively, and doesn't try to kill the player all the time. But it took a step back at 1.8. At 1.7 it was best it's ever been IMHO, maybe it caused some problems but I didn't notice them.

Compared to that video, it was dialed down a notch I think (?) but some of that made it into 1.7 and AI was pushy and aggressive in good way. But not after 1.8 --> present day. I do most of my racing offline so for me very big deal, better AI and new LS tracks that's all I want from AC anymore really. Cars sure, but I have enough already tbh

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Stepy, MsportDAN, Cote Dazur and 2 others like this.
  7. Kopiller

Kopiller Simracer

8. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

One thing I spotted is that the AI line at Brands Hatch isn't quite right. They always go far too wide at Clearways, take a strange shallow line with a late sharp turn at Paddock Bend and approach Graham Hill Bend from the middle of the track rather than moving to the outside.

ALB123 and MsportDAN like this.
  9. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

i hope he doesn't break the "AI drafting and actually out braking out "down straights thing. That really impresses me, as most sims the AI dont actually do this. Racing at interlagos (good mod btw) and actually being taken down the straight and out braked into t1 - by the ai - was a great feeling in the ex's!!

Just fix the slow down thing with the AI behind you... and i think its on to being a strong AI!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Louizf and arthur666 like this.
  10. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

I have to admit that, even if I'm pretty sure this will be improved in the near future, I'm quite surprised that AI cars can't take the decision to pass me when I'm in an outpit lap or other situations like that : I'm slow, they don't overtake me, I slow down to say : "Hey bud pass me plz, I'm in an off lap" : they still don't pass. I'm almost forced to stop in order AI understands it should just not to pay attention to me. It's quite un-immersive.
    Still, if game developement has to suffer some speed shortcomings, I prefer this to endure this way and that the team continues to focus on new cars/tracks/other improves because i's not that important.

arthur666 and MsportDAN like this.
  11. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I've started to race with damage set to 0%. It may be placebo, but I notice the AI more fearless and better competitive, but it could just be things I ignored and were always there.

However about an AI situation where the cars get stuck behind. Is maybe they think there's an accident and they can't go past since they don't actually have eyes and a brain like humans, so common sense for them is definitely not the same for us.
    So until the road gets cleared or more specifically the AI line gets cleared, then they resume the race.

I think it really has to do with obstructions on their AI line, and then don't know what to do next or that there's an alternative, as long as no cars from behind are coming at higher speed.
    This may also influence their decisions in multi class racing and not being very good at passing slower cars ahead, usually the other AI cars on their line.

12. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

I prefer to race against AI then go online, unless I'm with a group of people I know.

The AI in v1.7 was awesome. Was it 100% perfect? Probably not, but it probably never will be. I saw some awesome moves by AI vehicles back then. I still do occasionally, but because of the inconsistency I really don't even run races anymore. Instead I run Track Day setups with Content Manager and I've found that if I set an AI range, lets say 89% - 93%, and use a wide range of vehicles (performance wise) I get some really good performance from the AI. The last session I did was around Riverside and while there were a couple of dumb moves from the AI, overall it was an awesome session. I ran 30 laps and had a blast.

One thing I experienced a couple of times during that Riverside Track Day. Let's say I come up to a McLaren MP4-12C riding the back bumper of a Lotus Exige 240R and I'm in a Corvette Stingray. As soon as I catch up to them and pass them, the Mp4-12C immediately follows suit. I experienced that a few times in that session. But, the point I'm trying to make is my own personal experience with Track Days, where I always use a wide range of cars and as many as there are spaces allowed, if I set a low and a high percentage for AI drivers, maybe 4% difference, I pretty much always see good driving from the AI. If I try to use all the same car or only a couple of cars with equal performance capabilities, I see much more nonsense on the track.

So, for now...Assetto Corsa is my official Track Day Simulator! :) ...and that's just fine with me. :cool:

davperes, Louizf and arthur666 like this.
  13. fabT

fabT Alien

Hope to see some improvements ...

14. deci

deci Simracer

half off-topic-ish. is there a way to limit AI to a certain type of tires? i want to have different types of cars running on a "street tires" race weekend, but usually the AI choses semislicks if available. would be nice to have the option to limit tire choice for an AI race (just like server).

15. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Don't think so. Would force street tyres for street cars always, if I could

arthur666 likes this.