1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

So after 3 years of development the AI still can't pass slower cars???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by HoiHman, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Skybird

Skybird Alien

If "mixed classes" means not to have categories like "hypercars" mixed with "small sportcars", then okay. If that means to not mix several different GT3 cars in "GT3" category, but having 24 MP4s on track, than that is a lame workaround not worth the time.

2. BinMaler

BinMaler Gamer

I'm a Quick-Racer and my favorite "mixed" combo is KTM and Lotus 4-Eleven. I drive at 100% and since 1.9 I'm more than happy with AI. They don't bump me, they go side by side and fight, they repass and sometimes they make errors. It's a real challenge to win a race.

OK, they are still too slow at Eau Rouge, which is sad... I really like Spa. But all in all I would say KUNOS did a great job on AI.

For those who don't drive at 100%, do it in a Race Weekend Training, you can learn much from AI.

3. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Although I recognize that the statements about the AI are true and even though I usually race the AI between 90 to 95% depending on cars and track combo, I am having a great time with AC AI. If you are about the same pace, they will pass you back if you make a small mistake, if you are erratic it seems to confuse them, if the speed differential is too much they also get confuse. AI in PCars is entertaining but never feels like real racing, too much goofiness. By real racing I do not mean racing online, as multiplayer is totally not like real racing to me, 99% it is reckless due to lack of fear for any consequences.
    AI in AC although not perfect gives the closest to real racing and to me adds a lot to the immersion. Other SIM have reckless AI, driving like people drive online, I am glad AC is different. A comment was about AI being more resistent to contact than us, they should not be any contact, as when this happens in real racing it usually means your are out of contention.

4. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

yeah when I meant mixed I meant a 500 versus a f40 and the like. . I like one off cup races - for me its the tightest racing you can get (blame f1 for feelings here!) no excuses all the same machinery and purely down to driver skill!

As said above if u race hard against them they seem to work properly. If u start slowing down on parts of the track it can hold em.up
    As for pitting- no sim gets ai pits right. I haven't used pitting in a game since race pro on the Xbox.I've had my frustration with that enough. Would like to see some mistake from Ai causing spins, not just go wide or brake lockups.

ac Ai has untapped potential

5. AccAkut

AccAkut Alien

With the mixed field of machinery AC has in its roster it's AI should be focused on this. I interpret the silence towards this topic as a sign that they are working on this behind the scenes.

6. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Surely no one would suggest limiting AI races to single cars.

I do think grouping the cars could help with testing though. No one needs to race modern F1 against the 250F for instance. The console version has the AI restricted a bit I think.

Hopefully now the console version is released and the PPs are out they can look at the AI again.

Louizf likes this.
  7. Quffy

Quffy Alien

There is a new special event that has a multi class race at Monza. 3 Porsche 919 vs rest GTE class. But the porsche start at the front and over the span of 5 laps the AI doesn't have time to outlap the slower cars. But I did the event on Easy and I outlapped the GTEs, when I reached them I was so fast passing them with the 919 it was like they were kids on bicycles.

But you could test this in a custom race with more laps or put the porsche LMPs on the back on the starting grid.

8. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

Very True!
    Thats also, why it kinda makes me feel sad, when discussions about the AI derail into ranting and only focussing on the things not working properly.
    Nobody, and least of all the devs, would deny, that not every aspect of the AI in its current state is perfect.
    However, the unique approach of having the AI use the players physics, makes it so much nicer to race with them. I can follow them, learn their lines, their braking points, its just much more immersive.
    So if I'm not looking for ways to exploit their flaws, but rather learn to know their behaviour, I can have a really great time.
    Yes, AI is not perfect, but already much much better then in every other sim
    And then there are the rumors about custom championships being worked upon, or planned, or thought about...(could a dev confirm this? pleeeeaaase:))

Dookie, rge75, Cote Dazur and 3 others like this.
  9. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Stefano have confirmed it. He hopes it get into the game with pp3.

Louizf, matz_AUT and MsportDAN like this.
  10. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Exactly. I try and drive against them as if I'm driving in a real race series, in my own car. If I cause contact I find myself apologising to the AI sometimes lol... :D

I know there may be some first corner shenanigans so I tend to brake a bit early and see how things unfold. Once things straighten out I can get to work. There are corners where on entry they're slower than me, they might pass me on some straights though, I make a strategy out of that which entertains me. I don't want overly aggressive AI, if I mess up or they are way faster then I want them to pass me. I don't want them making rash moves and dive bombing, if a sim has an AI aggression slider I'll set it to low.

Dean Ogurek and Cote Dazur like this.
  11. TomSc

TomSc Gamer

Sure, I don't mean to suggest that I'm having a bad time with the AI. Recently I've been running a field of roughly ~20 Cayman Clubsports with Maserati GT4s and had some fantastic racing with AI set from 94-100 (using Content Manager). No doubt, in sprint races between closely matched cars, we do have some of the best AI behavior.

But like many others in this thread, my time is 99% spent offline, and I really want to be able to create WEC style races, or even just run GT4 races that require a pit stop. With the current AI, those just aren't feasible.

Mogster likes this.
  12. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I set up trackday scenarios sometimes, 23 random road cars and me on track.

Just watching the AI at Spa and although I wouldn't say they won't pass they struggle with much slower cars and you come upon a snake of cars behind an Audi S1 or one of the SUVs. It's not as bad as it was a couple of years ago when they wouldn't pass at all but it still looks weird. I noticed them appearing to wait for the Spa start/finish and Kemmel, the slower AI appeared almost to move offline and let the faster cars through??? I had a faster AI car behind and backed off on the run down to Eau Rouge, the AI moved offline and passed me smoothly, I wasn't going particularly slowly it was just a lift for a couple of seconds.

It's hard to imagine what's going on. Does a slow moving car indicate a crash and make them drive more cautiously? The AI drives the softer set up road cars with its elbows out, does this make them more difficult for the other AI to pass? The Levant seemed to cause a particular problem and the AI does throw the SUVs about...

13. davperes

davperes Rookie

Kunos has been doing so much good work with Assetto Corsa and the game is getting very close to be everything I want from a driving/racing simulator, but I have to agree with the complaints about the AI... specially now that custom championships are apparently confirmed I think a bigger effort should be made to improve things on the single-player racing experience front (with better AI being the priority) otherwise people will just forget about the championships feature shortly after the initial excitement.

Racing against the AI on it's current state is simply not very fun and/or immersive, therefore a championship feature, as much as I want it (and I really want it) will also turn out not to be very fun. Also, after 3 years of development (or 4?) AC still has the unfortunate stigma of being just a "hotlap simulator" for some players, specially those who don't care much about online racing (like me), and I feel that the AI is the main reason for this criticism.

If I race perfectly from beginning to end, never making any mistake, then the problems with the AI might not be apparent, but as soon as I make a mistake and lose speed or something then the AI just brakes behind me and drives slowly until I regain my speed, instead of just driving around, even if I'm not in their racing line. And mistakes happen, both in the virtual world and the real one, so AI has to be able to deal with them at least to some extent, otherwise the experience is just lifeless.

I don't know what's going on or why the AI is still like this after so long, but Kunos has been listening and improvements have been great in most other areas, so I'm sure something will be done about this eventually... after all, for as much as we want things to improve, I'm sure Kunos guys want it even more :)

PS: I still enjoy the hell out of AC even as a simple "hotlap simulator" :)

AccAkut and HoiHman like this.
  14. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Maybe the upcoming custom championship have a positive impact on AI aswell? :)

xedrox and TomSc like this.
  15. Kopiller

Kopiller Simracer

I'l love to have different ai "personalities" I think that Stefano talked that is one possibility to work on that the day that he accomplishes an air that works as he wants.

xedrox likes this.
  16. F2kSel

F2kSel Racer

I don't bother much with the AI as they just don't behave in a realistic manner, apart from passing slower cars they are still very much driving in lanes especially at the start.
    They also miss most of the apexes by a cars width which makes it too easy to slide up the inside.
    Id still like collisions to have more of an effect on the AI as well.
    They're not the worst I've seen but very robotic.

17. rge75

rge75 Simracer

Yes, not everything is "bad". I think track and series also have a big influence as I just noticed today when I tried the career mode once again. While I was outdriven completely by the first 2 cars, I had some decent racing with the Lotus Eleven. Battling for 2nd was just nice - going side to side into Parabolica in the last lap, being outbraked by the AI, but then being able to pass him again on the outside to get 2nd was just epic ;-) So light and shadow are extremely close. But very often, once you're leading a race, the AI isn't able to pass you again unless you make a very stupid mistake. They really lack of some aggressivness.

18. djtopa

djtopa Hardcore Simmer

This is so much fun!I do that all the time on Ring and Lake louise,Coste road.But I alwas try to set up AI from fastest car(same as mine) and then all te way to slowest.I put 2 of each in total of 23 and setup my start at last place.Souch fun to pass all cars on the Ring haha .When I want real challange I put all cars same as mine and to me AI is good (Im not a alien so around 93% )I almost never play onine...

Mogster likes this.
  19. Mogster

Mogster Alien

It is fun and adds a little more to a hotlap session. Kunos should make it more straightforward by allowing adding AI to hotlap sessions.

I think the AI experience is very dependent on the car/track combo, maybe the difficulty setting also.

djtopa likes this.
  20. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Yes, I must agree on this. With the current way an AI race goes, a championship mode - which I had asked for from beginning on - is pretty much pointless. At least for me it holds no attraction this way. You either go all the way - championship plus much improved AI - or you can save your time about the championship.

I mean there is a reason why I only do endless practice sessions in AC, almost never regular races - and do regular races in Raceroom instead. Race presentation and AI events during the race are the main reasons.