1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Tyres! oh... it's raining...

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Alien

FLAT SPOT MOTION DATA....Oh my.

2. RS10

RS10 Simracer

If the puddles etc predetermined as is the racing line in the wet etc, how dynamic will be the weather or specifically: is partial rain possible? it's not uncommon at Spa for example

Epistolarius likes this.
  3. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

yes the rain can have various amounts of err... force (?). 1st release will have some predetermined scenarios but only because of time restraints. Soon enough you'll get full control of weather.

Tim Meuris, Jebus, AurusCE and 16 others like this.
  4. WAIN

WAIN Rookie

Keep the info coming, nice to see this in-depth info with EA so close...

5. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

All this info from you @Aristotelis is making me so hyper and giddy to be able to drive ACC, it feels like birthday, easter, Christmas and winning lotto at the same time :)
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

6. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Just keep in mind guys. It's Early Access 1st release. The physics are there, but the whole game is still WIP. Hype is good, but keep expectations realistic and spread the word :)

7. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

Don´t worry, boss, we´ve got this …
    … aaaaaaaaaaaaand it´s out of control :p

8. chemako85

chemako85 Rookie

I agree with you! I don't want the app in real time but, in real life, when I return to the pit i can check the pressure of car's tyres, and if i have a temperature probe i can check the surface temperature (maybe IMO too??), also i can see tyres wear...

So I hope ACC will be similar to real life then when we go to the pit, we can use some of these data if is it possible.

What do you think about this? Is your idea?

Thank you!

JKI likes this.
  9. martcerv

martcerv Alien

So in ACC will there also be tyre limits for a race weekend? also allowing to re use older tyres. Even for a sprint style setup this would make it interesting in mp if there was just a qualy and race giving 1 or 2 sets of tyres. People couldnt just keep chucking tyres at it in qualy like they do currently. ;)

10. WallyM

WallyM Alien

And all on a home PC. Incredible.

I welcome the hiding of data not available in real life, that helps you cheat to get to optimal settings. Heck, I've written several such apps myself, because hey, data. I have felt a tiny bit guilty about that. So that's a good move towards a more realistic simulation of setup black magic.

11. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

But for that we need to get that available info when in the pits. AC previously the little info on the tyres like hot temps/pressures and grain/blister don't seem to be work 100% once you go back to the pits and it "resets" the car, and in in-race pitstops it obviously tells the driver none of that info. Since we don't have a team backing us in real time it would be great to have the virtual team engineer telling us after a pit stop over pit radio how badly we were wearing the tyres for example so as driver you could adjust your driving in the following stint. If that's how teams do it IRL?

Tim Meuris and Ernie like this.
  12. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I think the question was, can it rain locally on one side of the track but not on the other (with the weather front moving through)? That obviously happens a lot on larger tracks and is one of the major challenges for race strategy in changing weather conditions.

Looking forward to how this develops in the future.

13. Carla

Carla Rookie

Amazing. What a treat this is! Thank you all.

14. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I'm hanging on everybody's words here...not only Aris'. Great discussion with great questions.

One thing about the "cheat apps". I like how we'll be able to only read realistic values while racing - simplify stuff and enjoy it more is a good mantra. Especially so if it makes the sim more realistic.

I have an idea what caused this data obsession on Kunos' side, though. I have the impression from AC that the temperature went "out of green" too easily. I remember debates about some road cars that had their semis at maybe 60 degrees with decent grip and some folks cried "broken" because it wouldn't turn green. Other folks said that these cars can't really get the tyres any hotter IRL but none of that was acceptable because "not green".

The power of colours @Aristotelis ...think twice about your palette in the tyres app ;-) If they provide decent grip across a very wide temp range, "blue" doesn't do that justice and might confuse the racers.

Finishing on a compliment: I appreciate very much how you openly acknowledge the work-arounds you take during ACC design - for example the drying line and the puddles/rivers. I understand that you simply "don't know enough" to have the positions, lines fall out of the engine and how could you? You'd spend a year with a team of engineers and geologists on one track to make that happen I guess. Since you follow every Blancpain race I suppose, you certainly will be able to update ACC in case there will be new rivers/puddles forming frequently in specific spots.

15. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

as @LeDude83 wrote above: a lot of high quality questions and outstanding information from aris. :)
    must calm down and breathe. :p
    and must find more space on my hd - too much mods and so on. time to do some organisatory stuff before EA. ;)
    many many thx to aris - you were not so present in the forum for a long time - missed this "style" of information/discussion a lot. :oops:
    now everything is good. :cool:

Alistair McKinley likes this.
  16. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Hopefully later option to randomize it too, for real unpredictability during long races. And preferably not pCars 2 way, where it can snow in summer Barcelona. But automatically taking track location into account

Sorry for acting like parrot, have repeated this wish couple of times. But imho it's very important and don't understand how pCars 2 overlooked this, despite creating LiveTrack

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  17. Sba

Sba Racer

I see. The fact that the line is "scripted" I guess isn't too much of an issue since there is only 1 class of cars which should all do exactly the same line.

So, from what I understood, the whole track starts at the same "green" grip but as cars drive along the racing line gets rubbered quicker, regardless of where drivers actually drive? Is this correct? So, if say a bunch of noobs :p were driving along and using a completely wrong racing line, the rubber would still get laid out on the "scripted" racing line, right?

How is marble formation/collection handled? The more cars pass on the racing line, the more marbles collect outside of it, but if I drive outside the racing line to collect marbles, am I also clearing the track from the marbles? Am I throwing some marbles on the racing line as well? Does rain clear the marbles or do they stay there? (disclaimer: I'm also asking how this works IRL, I don't know how "dynamic" marbles actually are!)

Really looking forward to driving the sim. I love the Real Road™ in rFactor 2, especially for tracks that start at very low grip and build a grippy racing line. When trying a pass you really have to account for the fact that outside the line you have less grip, now with marbles and everything racing will be a lot more dynamic.

The thing I adore about Assetto Corsa (1) is the handling, but at competitive levels I've noticed it becomes much more of a "learn the inputs and repeat them" than in other sims, it's more about muscle memory than actual feel. Which is a shame, as for me the AC FFB is the most communicative I've driven! All these new changes should spice up things quite a bit.

18. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

Your explanations make for a fantastic read @Aristotelis, thanks a lot for taking the time to write this stuff down.

I think the non-dynamic generation of the racing line and forming of puddles and streams on the track makes complete sense,
    as long as the scripted racing line also takes into account different possible lines through corners where this applies.
    In RL, there also is only one racing line, and it does not change from race to race, its always the same, and eventually the asphalt develops cracks and grooves and needs repaving, because the strain is so concentrated. This is similar to the grooves that we have on our roads and highways these days. All cars and lorrys basically drive in the middle of their lane, so the grooves form out accordingly. Thinking of it, to make the racing line not dynamic should actually be considered a great decision to save a lot of CPU cycles that can be used for where it really maters, e.g. physisc, AI, weather.

The same thinking (imo) applies to the puddles and rivers. From the road I travel to and from work each day, the places, during heavy rain, where the water stands in corners, or the strechtes of different asphalt that absorb the water more or less effectively, that is all rather static. After years of travelling there, I have memorized the most of it, and it does not change really, not that I noticed anyway.
    I also have a suspicion, that calculating in real time the build up of the water based on the laser scan data, may not be possible with current hardware and with all the other calculations that have to be done also in real time, at the same time.

19. Very good point. There are many places where more V-shaped line and shorter distance is quite equal approach but if you rule that out with one strict static line, it's not good.

20. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

Will have to take sick leave from work when acc is out... Who knows how long will I be infected with ACC. :D I Just hope I dont get fired :D

sissydriver, gandlers and Jack Taylor like this.