1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

1.11 and PP3 Impressions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ALB123, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Me too, downshifting until the end: got it in Reverse, great driving backwards 600BHP 'fwd':D

917k in AC what-a-car, the balance is just godlike imho.

Cheers
    Robin

TDS, Seria17hri11er and Orne like this.
  2. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Can't really comment on if R vs GT3 RS are more planted. The R is based on the GT3, not GT3 RS, don't know if the different handling makes sense or not.

I think what's remarkable is how different the Carrera S, Turbo S, R and GT3 RS feel. The Carrera S and Turbo S feel surprisingly quite alike despite different track/wheelbase and AWD - while the R and RS have each very different personalities and need to be driven differently. The RS feels to me like it has less grip at the front when compared against the R. Meanwhile understeer doesn't seem to be a thing in the R. Comparing them all at Mugello the RS was a pain to keep on track despite all the aero, Carrera, Turbo and R are slower but seem more effortless to drive. But I'm sure I haven't really learned to drive them all properly yet so it's hard to assess any of that.

Seria17hri11er, arthur666 and Orne like this.
  3. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Do PP1/2 cars have updated inertias? If not then I would not compare these cars yet.

4. Berry

Berry Alien

They must've done something because I'm faster with the GT3 RS now, 2 and a half seconds to be precise, 7:18.820 on the Nordschleife.
    @Epistolarius: Kunos quality, I like how the GT3 RS feels on edge, angry, it will bite, drift, move its *** while braking, while the 911R is much more stable, it makes sense, you'd want a very active car on the track and a more stable one for the road.Even though I might complain about AC's few flaws, I'm still awestruck whenever I take out cars like the Carrera S and GT3 RS, and even the FFB feels so different, let alone driving characteristics.Bliss! :D

Epistolarius and Orne like this.
  5. Orne

Orne Alien

I can dig that. I just thought the GT3 RS should be a bit more stable considering it has that massive wing on the back. Although it might boil down to driving style. Hmmmmmm

6. Berry

Berry Alien

It's setup to be less stable than the GT3 chassis, driver envolvement and whatnot, it's still massively fast, and you can feel the aero working really hard compared to the 911R.

7. Orne

Orne Alien

I ran 6 laps in the RS and R at Mugello. RS is 2.5+ seconds faster. Numbers don't lie. Aero is putting in the work on the RS for sure. So much for my lame brain theories, ha! Perception is a deceptive thing at times. Trippy!

8. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Does anybody feel the the stock GT3 setups have changed recently. Maybe become a little looser? I've been trying to force myself to drive GT3 cars more often. I do enjoy them - always have, but I struggle. Anyway, I know that Kunos is frequently trying to improve the Tire Model and I think that's awesome. I'm not good enough to detect and report verbally differences the way some people are. Even if my laps are slower or faster than usual, I chalk that up to either 1) I drove really crappy that day, or 2) I drove very well that day. I do like to lower the default TC settings, but I still leave a few clicks buffer at all times. I feel like I'm losing the back end more often. It might just be my driving style is changing and I'm not fully aware of certain adjustments I need to make. Who knows? I just figured I would ask to see what you guys thought. :)

9. xela1

xela1 Racer

yes Alb123, also loosing back end when pedal to the metal and steering wheel isn't in straight-line position. Haven't that "issue" < 1.11

10. There were some nice updates this time, the effective radius thing kind of "unlocked" the front end, which used to be quite limited in AC, now the cars like to rotate more, there is better feel and control over the front end, and still in a balanced way, which is good. The lower inertias are something that probably also helped, as well as the continuous TM10 finetuning.

And yeah I usually focus more on the negative things (I hope the feeling over kerbs will improve though :D) but when I see clear improvements I like to give credit too :) I think the physics are now in a solid state where they can focus more in updating all the content up to last tire model specs (and maybe some more inertia tweaking in more cars) and leave it there.

mms, Dookie, ALB123 and 6 others like this.
  11. Yes, I think the current setups (talking about GT3s) are now in the "oversteery" side of the balance since 1.10, due to the tire model tweaks. I recommend to play a bit with the suspension, use stiffer front bars and/or softer rears, and lower a bit the differential on power and increase a bit on coast. And perhaps add a little bit more of rear wing.

LChaves, iVG, ALB123 and 2 others like this.
  12. All cars have the inertia change. It is a core change that applies regardless of car or tire model.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  13. No, that's not a core change.

14. Well there is the changelog entry

- New formula for effective radius calculation

And the entries

- New V10 tyres and updated physics and inertias for all GT3 cars
    - New V10 tyres and updated physics and inertias for all GT2 cars plus Glickenhaus P4/5C and Evora GX and GTC
    - Updated V10 tyres and updated physics and inertias for Hypercars (LaFerrari, 599XX, FxxK, P1, Aventador SV, Huayra, Zonda R), more experimentation
    - Corrected Porsche 917/30 inertia values

Then GRFOCO asked rather non specific question

And he didn't mention anything specific to V10 tires. I thought the "New formula for effective radius calculation" was a significant change in car behavior across all tire models. And I thought it changed the inertia that they have been talking about.

But, going back through the above, it seems I misunderstood. It seems the inertia changes only apply to the cars listed on the change log, as well as PP3--and GT40, which they forgot to list in change log:

- New V10 tyres and updated physics and inertias for all GT2 cars plus Glickenhaus P4/5C and Evora GX and GTC
    - Updated V10 tyres and updated physics and inertias for Hypercars (LaFerrari, 599XX, FxxK, P1, Aventador SV, Huayra, Zonda R), more experimentation
    - Corrected Porsche 917/30 inertia values

ALB123 and marcinmarcin79 like this.
  15. No, the inertia is a totally separated thing, it had nothing to do with the tyre model. It was changed (car specific) as a consecuence of something that doesn't really matter now.

Anyway I think they forgot some cars, the Lotus Elise for instance has less inertia than before.

SunBro and Seria17hri11er like this.
  16. Robert M525

Robert M525 Gamer

Finally got a chance to edit the three clips I recorded Wednesday.

I did a few quick laps of the Nürburgring GP (2-5 laps for each car) in the 911 R, the Turbo S, and the 911 GT3 R. Not impressive laps, mind you, but here they are. Onboard cameras then external cameras.

I got a 2:19.570 with the 911 R, 2:20.075 with the Turbo S, and a 2:03.536 with the GT3 R.

For reference, on the same track with the GT3 RS, I got a 2:19.147 on November 23.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  17. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Not in game video ;) but would be nice to have a proper version of this track if Lemans isnt going to happen. Perfect match for many PP cars and many other historic cars in AC.

18. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Thank you for the responses regarding my experience with GT3 cars recently. :)

Would anyone like to explain to me what is meant when something like this is listed in the Change Log (I'm focusing on the bold):

I'm aware of Newton's 1st Law - an object at rest...blah blah & an object in motion....blab blah. What does it mean to "update inertia" for cars? And, for that matter, what does it mean to "update physics" for cars? Is that implying that maybe they weren't completely calculating something but rather fudging it for simplicity and now they've gone and started to calculate something they weren't before? I'm not being a wise-arse...I just like to learn as much as I can about the one game in my life that I love dearly. (I think I could actually hear Stefano's eyes rolling all the way here in Massachusetts as he read this question :D). Truthfully, I know both @Seria17hri11er and @David Dominguez have a very good understanding of the underlying physics in sim racing games. Stupid me, when I think "physics", well there is only one set of "physics" in this universe that I'm aware of (outside of supermassive black holes) ...so, I need to start grasping this stuff better. I appreciate any responses. :)

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  19. It wasn't fudged, simply the input parameters were a bit off (high). Each car needs its own parameters for moments of inertia around the X, Y and Z axis (resistance of rotational acceleration about those axis), being the Z one the key here (yaw).

[​IMG]

Depending the car's design, dimensions, how far the heavy objects are from the CoG, etc, each car will have its own parameters. In Assetto Corsa, those moments of inertia are calculated as if it is a cuboid, where you input some lenght, height and width and the engine calculates the moments. That is useful because it's easy to use, for an amateur modder that doesn't know much, just adding the dimensions of the car is enough to get some reasonable results, and I say that it's useful because we've seen how messed the inertias are even in very popular mods like Enduracers rF2 mod (with ISI engine you have to use the end values, with its own units, kg*m^2), creating fantasy physics. The problem with AC, as far as I know, is that they were using a parameter called dynamic index, as reference for the yaw inertia calculations, and apparently they used a wrong calculation (click here if you want to learn more). And as that index wasn't giving fully accurate results, that meant that some cars (not sure how many) had a high yaw inertia. Now they have updated some cars, with more realistic parameters (and thus, inertias), improving car handling.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Methee, Cote Dazur, rycil and 9 others like this.
  20. ZethGAF

ZethGAF Simracer

Anyone have setup tips to make the 911R drift better? That challenge is really frustrating me - I've been able to drift the other non-drift cars successfully in challenges, but the 911 is just too sharp and peaky and the tires don't help.