1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

A chance to influence the development of Assetto Corsa 2.0...

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by VFX Pro, May 31, 2017.

1. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Yeah, I know, but my plans start with "L" rather than "W". ;)
    (That is and will be my main desktop. I've got a lot of experience with it and I want to stay there.)
    Given that Valve continues to support that (and Vulkan), I am confident that things will look better there in a couple of years.

But I really didn't want to start an OS discussion here. As I said above, the main thing I wanted to point out is that there is Vulkan, which does support very OS and also supported by many game engines these days.
    Support for Vulkan in games is much more likely than it was for OpenGL.

2. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Wow. At least you are the winner of the most effort made for a wishlist thread ;)

Very nice to see how there is so much individual preference that in total no conclusion can be made - to the contrast what everyone thinks bias by their own preferences.
    I mean look at this:
    upload_2017-6-2_12-37-19.png

The clear winner is
    upload_2017-6-2_12-37-39.png
    because it only has one 100% vote. Anything else is statistical noise.

Schnipp, mms, Ace Pumpkin and 3 others like this.
  3. fr13del

fr13del Racer

It would be interesting, who is voting there - Rookies vs Veterans(in gameplay-hours)... ;)
    And it should be obvious that every one below 300h is not allowed to vote! :p

4. for the same reason why gamedevs dropped opengl on Windows: bad drivers, missing tools, broken programming model, terrible documentation and a much better alternative: Dx.
    Generally speaking the graphics subsystem API-layer is a small-ish part of a videogame.. the reason to support or not a platform goes way beyond the graphics APIs.
    For example, for AC console we used on the PS4 whatever it is used there to do graphics, we did not say "oh well, it's not Dx11 bummer we won't do it".
    The process of commercial game dev is basically:

1) Identify a platform to support (because commercially viable)
    2) Identify the API that will offer the best ecosystem for the platform in order to maximize sales and reduce dev time

So, in other words, understand the problem and find the best solution to solve it.
    Forum warriors and amateur game devs do exactly the opposite: they find a possible solution (in this case vulkan, linux.. whatever the latest trend is) and go look for a problem :D which is pretty funny to watch.

Finally, I doubt we'll ever see Dx12/Vulkan used in smaller "indie" videogames. The idea behind these APIs is to move complexity away from the drivers into the hands of the programmers. This, in theory, could bring more performances.. in theory, but it comes at a huge complexity cost that is unlikely to be taken by smaller software devs and probably will remain relegated to the "big boys": EA, Ubi and so on.

EDIT: sorry for the OT.. but at least this is an interesting topic compared to the useless poll :D

5. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Stefano, totally understand your point there and of course that perspective is totally valid.
    Small nit-picking though: you answered the wrong question. :D
    That is, because the question was about the user's perspective, while you outlined the dev's perspective. :p

But of course the answer is still interesting, thanks for that. ;)
    Well at least for once I can claim that I didn't follow a trend but was there a long time ago. :D
    (Being a Linux user since 1999-2000 and running my main desktop on Linux since about 11-12 years now.)

The main reason why I do mock about Windows sometimes is that I'm really not used to it anymore.
    I've changed my habbits etc. such that they align with Linux and I'm cursing Windows every time I have to use it (quite frankly every day because company/work …).
    Well actually, I'm cursing both of them, but for different reasons. :D
    I guess you know how it is with software (you didn't write yourself) …

6. linux has been a trend (with forum warriors) for 20 years :D
    The Year Of Linux on the Desktop anyone? :D 2018 FOR SURE this time :p

7. Whatever it takes for AC2 to be realised i will support . If u dont want to upgrade anything on your pc and demand devs to accomodate you , can u not see how you are going to hold back whatever vision the devs have . I dont care what they do as long as they make AC2 as good as they possibly can. And im pretty sure what areas and features that they need to feature and improve , afterall they do read the forums and facebook .:D

8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Haha, no, that will never happen. :p

(And it's fine with me. ;))

9. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Just remembered these words from you when reading this article:
    While in the end it's possibly more about them wanting to deprecate OpenGL rather than favor Vulkan (hence Direct3D would remain the default on Windows), it's still interesting as this choice should mean that they want to make Vulkan easy to access for developers, right?
    Note that this doesn't say anything about performance gains (over DX11/OpenGL), so it might be that they'd sacrifice (some of the) advantages of Vulkan to reach this goal.
    (Also note that *****ix isn't always the best source to get reliable Linux-related news and information, but that's a different topic …)

Personally, I was impressed by how fast the open source driver in Mesa for Radeon/Vulkan developed, but it's hard to judge this properly when keeping in mind the huge effort that went into the OpenGL driver, which surely was used as a basis.
    But then, it's been said that Vulkan drivers should be less complex than those for OpenGL, so might not be comparable after all.

10. exactly.. they are very very thin drivers, the game dev is writing the driver now :D

Vulkan has a very nice story with Doom, where the performance gains are spectacular. UE4 on the other side doesn't seem to offer many gains by running in DX12.. which shows to me how important is that the engine is either designed to run with the new APIs from the start or does some peculiar things that happen to get huge advantages with the new toys (I think this is the case with Doom).

We'll see.. I am writing some test stuff with Vulkan during the weekends.. and it's SO DAMN HARD compared to DX11/OGL.

Jaood, Dookie and Berniyh like this.
  11. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I've read that Microsoft wrote the DX12 renderer for the Unreal engine. Now I don't know if that is true and also can't tell you if that would be a good or a bad thing. o_O
    Nice, hope it doesn't end with you throwing your PC out of the window. :D
    So, good luck. ;)

12. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Laying on our elevationbed with the ipad, are we?
    Nerd time is the best time :p

Berniyh likes this.
  13. Mathieu Labbé

Mathieu Labbé Hardcore Simmer

Dont forget Linux on phones, this time it will happen for sure. Or maybe not...

14. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Android is barely a Linux system. It runs on top of a Linux kernel, but everything else is as close to a Linux desktop system as a 595 Abarth is to a 911 GT1. :p

The Linux desktop improved massively over the last few years or at least I'm not cursing it as often as I used to do 10 years ago, but I doubt it will conquer the desktop world any time soon.
    Maybe (hopefully) on the Steam machines as Valve continues to push that, but then, that's not quite a Linux desktop either (possibly the closest reaching out for a mass market though).

(Don't get me wrong, I love Linux and I love using it. But quite frankly, everybody with at least some experience with computers knows that you have to love and hate your OS. Or at least I doubt it's any different for anybody else. :D)