1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AC tire model explained

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Gabox01, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Gabox01

Gabox01 Gamer

Hi,

I wonder how advanced the AC tire model is compared to other sims.

-I don't know much technical details, but I know that iRacing has a pretty advanced one. You can feel it best by driving the RUF. It's like no other in my opinion.

-I know that the physics guy from LFS wanted to implement something similar that iRacing has, but obviously failed on the task, as LFS is pretty much dead now.

Thanks

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Feel of New 2020 Tire Model and Updated 18/19 Tire Model Jan 27, 2021
    ACC Physics New tire model = understeer? Aug 19, 2019
    ACC General Discussions I love the 5 point tire model, and haven't tried it yet! Jul 20, 2019
    ACC Physics Understeer handling - tire model? Jun 2, 2019
    ACC Physics Is traction control hiding tire model issues? May 11, 2019
    ACC Physics Physics and tire model of build 0.6.5 Mar 30, 2019
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues no tire models in multiplayer Jun 19, 2018
    General modding discussion About legacy car mods (tire model 4,5,6..) Sep 22, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Tire/tyre model is not realistic in sliding state (non grip state) Sep 21, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Tire model v10 Aug 15, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues HATING NEW TIRE MODEL. How do I go back to the 2015 tire model? Thanks! Jun 2, 2016
    Chit Chat Room What are the practical differences between the various tire models? Jun 2, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Some faster cars like LaFerrari EVO599XX losing rear grip to easy since tire model V7 May 6, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Lotus 2-Eleven brakes on v7 tire model Apr 11, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Cars with tire model v6 Nov 28, 2015

3. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

4. Stereo

Stereo Alien

AC and iR are fairly similar in features. The only major difference I know of is that AC includes dirt buildup when you go offtrack and iR doesn't. They both have tire temperature/wear affecting grip, and a reasonable model of rolling friction. I think they handle low-speed (as in under 3km/h) differently but I don't like either one so.

Most differences you feel between them are probably going to be down to specific tuning parameters set per car. And some might say that AC does better at large slip angles but that's not super relevant to racing.

5. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Racer

pretty sure rf2 is the most advanced out of the bunch, at least thats how it feels. I love AC though anyway. Each sim has things to love about it.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Simracer

Have the devs also said they had a more advanced tire model in house? or was that the .4 tire update model we got way back?

7. Gabox01

Gabox01 Gamer

I think you are dead wrong when you assume, that AC or even rFactor, has the same kind of tire model that iRacing has.

Watch this video from 16:15 where David Kaemmer is talking about the new tire model (version 5) of iRracing.

This guy has been making the best sims around for 20 years, and yet he has no problem to confess, that developing this stuff was extremely challenging, and long process. We don't really know if any development of LFS is still going on, but it's very likely that Scawen (LFS physics guy) realized that he isn't gonna make it without reading some advanced physics books which takes x years to digest and realize in code.

I think AC is doing a pretty good job on physics, but you just don't get that sensation of driving the RUF on the new tire model of iRacing.
    It's like another level.

8. Requiem84

Requiem84 Simracer

I raced iRacing for about four years: 08-12. Dave was already famous for his 'brilliant' physics, because of GPl, Nascar 03 etc. But still iRacing had ahorrible tire model. The introduction of the NTM even made things worse. IRacing now is on NTM 6? It shows they really messed up a lot frankly.

I do believe IR is moving in the right direction now though. But I have the impression they are converging more to AC's tire model. Mind you, I haven't tried it. Just heard others talk about it.

Dave k isn't god. And complexity does not equal good. AC's core mathematical model is quite well developped. Featurewise, like flatspotting etc there is room for improvement.

9. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

I think AC's low speed physics are still a work in progress, I'm sure I read somewhere on here there will be improvements to come.

10. BenC

BenC Hardcore Simmer

Disagree entirely. The iRacing tyre model is junk. I literally can't go back to it anymore, its so stupidly bad. At the limit, it does the most bizzare things, I find it immesenly frustrating. I quit this years road WCS because of it, and dozens of other top level drivers have done the same thing, for exactly the same reasons.

AC is far superior in the tyre physics department.

11. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Yeah, it's not final, but from what I hear iRacing's is never finished either, they keep tweaking from season to season.

12. As far as tyre model itself goes, I'd say LFS has best one.
    It has some big flaws though - as tyre temperature handling is all wonky.
    But, it has (what others are missing) tyre flexing - which is missing in AC, and other sims.
    To be honest, tyre feeling is still best in LFS (well, at least for me). Though, as said, LFS has some issues too... which will maybe be fixed in some 10+ years ;)
    However, AC is next in line out of other bunch.
    iRacing has really weird feeling. rFactor is decent, but below LFS/AC.

Robin_NL likes this.
  13. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

14. Gabox01

Gabox01 Gamer

Why I feel that most of these comments are not based on objective judgement, but superfluous theory making.

The very idea that LFS has the best tire model out there, is a joke. OK, it bends, but that doesn't mean anything. It could be just a visual thing.

Don't afraid do admit that you have no idea what's under the hood.

Maybe some AC dev could help us out here.

15. Gabox01

Gabox01 Gamer

16. Requiem84

Requiem84 Simracer

AC simulates tire flex! It's just not visually. But the model behind the tires takes the flex into account.

17. AC Support

AC Support Official Support Staff Member KS Dev Team

Exactly.

18. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Everyone will always prefer one sims physics over another, I havent driven the latest I racing TM but to say they are the best and the guy clearly know whats best but has needed 6 NTM versions and many other sims and all those up to NTM4 I personally hated. The RUF has apparently been a good step forward going by the comments and it seems they are finally on their way. Ironically many strongly defended each of their earlier tyre models when even they are admitting how flawed it was by having so many revisions.

LFS was good in its day but its quite outdated, graphical flex doesnt say much but it along with RBR are still pretty solid.

I think RF2 may technically have the most detailed tyre physics and yes they also have graphical and phsyical flex included. This doesnt meant it still feels the best with only the karts actually feeling like realistic tyres. RF Pro is still one of the most commonly used sims in professional racing teams including many F1 teams. I think the model has great potential but the actual implementation with most ISI content and over exaggerated real road kind of let it down.

AC I think is a big step from NKP, to me feels the best especially on the limits only the RF2 karts give me the same type of feel allowing you to throw cars around. This doesnt mean its the quickest way but as in most real cars I have driven it not like in many sims where there is max performance then nothing. You can normally go way beyond the peak tyre grip it will just slow you down lots. Any car should be able to be driven sideways to a point and to go quick in most of them you need to real this in and stay clean. AC still has a long way to go in other parts but tyres are on the right path as is the handling of cars weight which I think is the other part it really stands out from the rest.

No tyre model or sim is perfect or even close to it, eventually as they are all trying to simulate the real thing they should all end up quite similar even if they have different ways of reaching a similar end result. The main thing is that a car should have similar performance to its real twin and also you should be able to just jump in and drive. There should be no reason to need to re learn the physics in order to drive any sim. If you have any real track experience then it should be a natural feel but there are obvious limitations with the setup and hardware we use. Of all current sims AC still has this natural feel the best for me though I do try them all as they are all getting better now. The ones I really don't like I just want run much but glad to support all devs as the more competition the more they will push to try and outdo the others to our benefit.

As long as they strive for realism and not simplified arcade physics to keep the kids entertained then the extra competition should be welcome by all sim fans.

Snarffu, TheWhiskey, Gusztav and 2 others like this.
  19. Bo-Göran Larsson

Bo-Göran Larsson Hardcore Simmer

You can probably have the most complicated model and still dont get it right. Its when the tire
    gets stressed the problems begins. In iracing the tires overcook in a way that I dont like.
    The gripp will gradually lose or regain traction in a way that it would in real Life to get
    god in my book. Asetto does this better than most off them. In iracing you get to a critical Point
    when you have it and then lose to much at once and it will not respond enough when correcting or
    reducing speed when the actual sliding begins. And the real problem is when this critical Point
    cant realy be senced Before it begins.

20. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

What bigger appraisal of Kunos's approach would you want? Big racing school choosing their simulator is not good enough :)

21. Mogster

Mogster Alien

In AC I can actually feel the tyres, for me other sims I don't have that .

Too cold, hot, different types and compound it's like wow I can feel the difference. I hardly need the tyre temp monitor, just try and brake, you can feel how warm the tyres are. Drop the tyre pressures a lot and you can feel the side walls swaying. Previously I've found driving sims to fun but basically a string of exploits, you're controlling a car with a wheel but what happens only has a passing similarity to real world driving. With AC I feel I'm closer to just driving, not gaming the game to go fast.

I love driving in real life but although I've enjoyed previous sims I haven't felt inspired to drive for hours, but that's how I feel with AC :)