1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Adding working headlights

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Sgt.Kanyo, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Berry

Berry Alien

The leagues I've went through have all been pro-rain and pro-night, this community constantly demands and whines about rain and night (not always justified), there surely must be some demand, it's not all in our heads.I would ABSOLUTELY use it in races, it adds much more excitement to have varrying conditions.This is totally out of reach for the current AC development, that's okey, but it should be taken into consideration for the next game, ofcourse, in my opinion :).

2. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

I'm in the same boat here.
    After the WOW effect is gone, most people (me included) will enjoy dry weather and bright sunshine 90% of the time.

3. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

Again though, it's not about the three or four people that make threads about it. It's the 10,000 players that never once mentioned it.

You have to make your invested time pay off, and frankly I've never seen anybody want anything more than more cars, more tracks, better graphics and things of that nature.

Although night racing and rain racing is cool, the vast, VAST majority of people playing could care less. That's the point...and why to date nothing has been done about it.

4. Warlock

Warlock Hardcore Simmer

By far the best looking graphical game out there, it is on PS4 and yes, it is locked 30fps, but PS4 has really weak hardware compared to PC :)

This is one of many videos of Driveclub. Day/Night cycle, dynamic weather, reflections on road, reflections of cars on other cars (maybe not seen in this video), reflections of mirrors and spoilers on a same car (maybe not seen in this video), this game is marvel when graphics is in question, and as I said, it runs on really low hardware.

I know, with support guys from Kunos have now, maybe we'll see something like this :) And I really hope if AC2 comes out, DX12 will be the thing there.

Cheers...

5. Sgt.Kanyo

Sgt.Kanyo Gamer

Well the reason I'm asking is because I noticed myself cruising at night 30% of time. I mean, you want to tell me people that people wouldn't want to unleash their ferrari V12 in the tunnels at night?
    Also I did my first ever night race on sebring in AC and my god, even though I couldn't see a thing, it was hell of a lot of fun. It's even more intimidating to see bright lights in your mirror.
    And I know, I've read that AC only has 1 light source, but come on... a little more imagination please? We all know it's possible to implement it, we just need to ensure kunos that people actually do want it. And I'm certain I don't just want it, I would actually use it.
    12 hours of Sebring or 24 hours of le mans anyone?

6. chakko

chakko Alien

I don't care for night races. But i want rain. Badly. A sim without modelling realistic weather conditions isn't a sim.

7. mms

mms Alien

This has been discussed several times, yes it is possible to implement it, however this would practically mean to rewrite the graphics engine from scratch, which is out of question for the current version of AC.

If you want to know a bit more about why it's this way, here's an article:

https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/forward-rendering-vs-deferred-rendering--gamedev-12342

8. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

Rain should be easy to implement. It's not much graphically to do it at all. The only thing would be coming up with the proper grip setting to apply when using it.

9. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Rain done properly isn't just a loss of grip across the whole track. You have water pooling in different places, changing grip level with the road surface and of course the effects of tyre wear as the tread blocks deteriorate. Then if you go the whole hog the transition from wet to dry needs to be dynamic with the effects of temperature etc taken into account. Most games/sims model the funky graphics but all you get physics wise is a grip drop off...

Personally I think loose surface physics and tyres would be used more, or features like rolling starts.

Marco21_SVK, Ace Pumpkin and mms like this.
  10. Warlock

Warlock Hardcore Simmer

Don't mind my previous post, but you guys do imagine how much work it is? I am not sure how current tyre model would work with rain, or snow, and yet Stefano would need to spend a lot of time coding new things in order to simulate this, also Aris and others would need to make tons of testing in order for this to work. It is not just make it happen, it needs a lot of time and resources. And there is not just implementing it into engine, they need to rework complete tyre model, track dynamic grip grid, eventually hydro planing and this is mustgo to track and wait for rain and test it. And it goes on and on... Since Kunos devs stated they wanna have a sim, not some kind of hybrid.

Then regaeding night races, implementing another light source gives 2x more shadowing, now imagine on full grid track, where each car has 4 lights and there anre tons of track lights and ambient lighting(not that there wouldn't be compromises and optimizations, bit still) it would be a lot of stress on gfx cards.

And after all this is done, it needs to work on xBOne and PS4, those two consoles are running it on edge, so...

...it is a no go for now. Too much work for something... Donno...

Cheers...

11. chakko

chakko Alien

Netkar Pro had it. So, Stefano at least remotely knows how it is done. :) Not sure, how much work he put into it, or how much work it is in general. It felt good. But, somehow, wet felt a bit better in Race 07.

12. Warlock

Warlock Hardcore Simmer

Generations of diference between those game engines. It's same as comparing DX9 and DX11.

Cheers

13. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

While true, for what it's worth I've done quite a few rainy track days at multiple tracks there's usually like 1 small puddle on the whole track and it's not even on the racing/driving line. Tracks are generally sloped/cambered and run off areas have decent drainage. So the grip level is fairly consistent, but the berms are like ice. But obviously this is highly dependent on the race track. While interesting and somewhat fun, Forza's rain weather with all the puddles felt extremely over-exaggerated.

Honestly setting the track grip lower and making the road surface look darker and more reflective would probably be pretty realistic. :)

SMOKING__MONKEY3 likes this.
  14. chakko

chakko Alien

Not quite.

15. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

But it´d get really interesting only if it´s dynamic, when like half the track is dry, half is wet, taking rain tyres you´d have to search for wet parts not to cook the tyres, taking slicks you´d avoid anything wet.

I watched one race at the Ring, VLN, where rain set in in the part of the track I was at (Brünnchen) and the cars had so much trouble staying on track while still driving slicks, really interesting.

But that´d need a new system for dynamic track by where cars are really driving on the track, a puddle physics system, testing of all cars and tyres on various moisture conditions, water drainage physics for the tyres in general, dynamic weather, reaction of puddles to cars driving through them,... List goes on forever, not that easy at all, I´d guess.

Edit:

The effect you described is delivered quite well by the Aosta track mod, where you can set rainy conditions. Add Good and Bad weather mod to it with Content Manager and it´ll be as close as it will get in AC.

16. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

http://www.simnewsdaily.com/assetto-corsa-exclusive-developer-statement-interview/
    The addition of laser-scanned tracks to the title brings a huge emphasis on realism to the title. What features do you have planned for circuits such as dynamic surfaces/drying lines localized weather etc?

We do have the code in place and we have created the graphic engine and physics engine in a way that dynamic weather and drying track can be implemented. I’m afraid though that we won’t be able to include it at v1.0 of Assetto Corsa, simply of time constraints. We learned the hard way some lessons in the past with netKar Pro. We tried back in the days to include as much features in the game as possible. The end result was that the sim was buggy at release and people couldn’t enjoy it.

This time around we want to create a software that has a very strong and stable core that people can enjoy and then start building and adding extra features on it. If you don’t make an enjoyable software for the community, then the community will abandon you and no matter what you do later, you won’t be able to win them back.

So yes we are working on it, we already going to have better grip on the ideal line and different grip on various asphalt patches for version 1, and we definitely want to include dynamic drying line and weather for future versions.

:D
    Its an old interview, about 5 years

Parminio and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  17. Warrior4Jah

Warrior4Jah Gamer

The devs have stated over and over that night and rain isn't going to come.
    Regardingless that old interview; I remember a "look what the cat hacked in" youtube session where Stefano stated that it is not possible to add such features due to choices they made designing the "engine".

Although I see the appeal of night and rain; the devs have so often stated that this is not going to happen...
    If my kids would nag on like that, I would put them in the corner :).

18. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Its night that cant be added without changing the graphics engine, not rain.

Warrior4Jah likes this.
  19. Warrior4Jah

Warrior4Jah Gamer

I stand corrected about rain; was a while ago I saw that stream.
    Even though; I do remember that the devs have no plans for rain.

20. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Its because it only supports one light source, which is used for the light ingame. :) Yeah, I dont think we will see rain in AC(1) neither. Even if id like to see it, its a good selling point for AC2!

Who knows, they might surprise the **** out of us. We all thought Porsche was impossible.

chakko and Marco21_SVK like this.