1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Are there too many cars in AC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by WallyM, Jun 6, 2016.

1. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I ask for the sake of Aris and the devs. The more cars you have in the game, the longer it takes for the The Physics Guy to integrate new physics features into each car. Do you reach a point where it's just not feasible to introduce new physics because of the effort to add it to all the cars? Or do you end up with a whole raft of cars on different physics levels, like we have had with different tyre models. It seems to me like we might have enough cars already for this reason.

mantasisg 2, Omelete and iVG like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay Career saved game JSON too large and lap time wrong after loading samed game or restart the match Mar 24, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions McLaren 650 too slow Aug 8, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Are Controls Locked for too long May 30, 2021
    ACC Gameplay [1.7.5] AI on wets/medium rain are too fast still Mar 4, 2021
    ACC Gameplay [1.7.5]ENG message for "slicks are optimal" is too early Mar 4, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Career Mode Pit Cycling too First Jul 2, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC Career Mode using G29. Share your experience too :) Jul 1, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Are Night Races too dark? Jun 12, 2019
    ACC Physics Are slicks too good in wet conditions? Jun 6, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Career too easy (how to change it?) or AI not "smart"? Jun 2, 2019
    ACC Physics Either my ride height is too low or the kerbs are too high Jan 24, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Track Cameras are 'Too Fixed' Sep 13, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Took a few photos of some fantastic race cars this weekend that are also in AC and some I wish were. Sep 5, 2017
    Chit Chat Room AC DLC's Are Too Cheap Sep 3, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues GT3 RS different suspension height and tyres are too thin Feb 18, 2017

3. hazardic

hazardic Alien

No way, so many beautiful cars to explore:D

arthur666 likes this.
  4. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I thought the physics was build "intuitive", so there´s no such thing as a "new" physics feature would pop up suddenly in a new car, that would have to be implementet to all cars? Sure, there´s been smaller corrections during development, like aero/stall, but all that is history and part of the physics base now.
    Tyres/tires are apart, but chassis/suspension/aero physics are shared and just numbers. They were key right at the beginning as the base of AC. As Stefano once said about constant changes to other titles physics, it puts up the question if they know what they´re doing.
    We´ve got features added, like AWD, because of a given car entering the pool, not that it affects all other cars etc.

It doesn´t seem to me that KS would/should stop adding cars just because of the work involved, not at all. Why would they do that, they want cars of their dreams in AC as much as possible, right?

cheers

alex72 likes this.
  5. I wonder what the situation is with physics modellers in AC - I mean is it still just Aris doing 100% of the work, or does he have an assistant aiding him, leaving Aris to work on the more complex stuff? Maybe its a bit like the 3D modelling where they have a number of people who are outsourced, then Aris just refines/fine tunes everything.

6. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

From a player perspective, of course not. There is never enough, people always want something new to experience and want something that's not implemented yet. I certainly do and I'm sure the devs do too. From a developer perspective I assume it's not necessarily the implementation of new features that's time consuming but the testing, taking longer and longer the more content they have to deal with. But that's just the way it is and something that can be combated to a degree with more efficient testing, automation and more testers. Don't think that's a good reason not to implement more content or new features for the simulator. Content is something AC should expand upon in the future, tracks more so than cars even. New content is also what keeps the game fresh and alive and makes it more attractive for people who haven't picked it up yet. And it's also what offsets the costs of further development.

Omelete likes this.
  7. AC_RAF

AC_RAF Hardcore Simmer

I think new cars are welcome as every car in the game has its own physics model.
    It creates a bit of excitation and freshness, to discover the behavior of the new ones (the best evidence for me is the popularity of the Mazda MX5 on RSR, even if I still don't try it).

On the other hand, it takes so much time trying to master the cars (I said trying) that I haven't drove more than 10 cars, in 4 month.
    It makes me laugh now, when I read articles about AC on videogame websites, and that they regret the lack of choice. :)
    It's clearly the Gran Turismo effect, where having 1000 cars is a commercial argument.

So, in my opinion, we have enough cars to enjoy ourselves, but new ones are very welcome :)

alex72 likes this.
  8. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Well yeah, absolutely. Assetto Corsa is full of content with lots of enjoyment to be had, each and every vehicle and track is unique and offers opportunity to be mastered through many, many laps. Don't think most people playing AC actually even tried every single car that's featured so far, yet alone mastered them all. But new ones are always welcome, as you say. =]

A3DR and AC_RAF like this.
  9. WallyM

WallyM Alien

In one of the recent streams, Kunos spoke about the new brake temperature modelling. The way it works is that Kunos builds the model and defines the parameters that are available to model brake temps. Then Aris has to develop values for the brake temp model for each individual car. It's Aris that dials in the physics values and makes them work, for each car. The more cars, the longer and longer it's going to take Aris to apply to each car.

As players, on the surface it migth be great to have new cars to play with, but the cost to us is either:
    a) longer and longer times between physics features being implemented, or
    b) more and more cars on different versions of the tyre or physics models.

I'm betting we'll see b). Kunos already said that initially some cars will have the new brake temp modelling, some won't. We've already seen it with the recent tyre model versions.

10. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

No idea what you mean, all the cars (except the Lotus Exos possibly) are on V7. And if it takes some time to implement it for all cars so that they have to do staggered releases of features for the cars then so be it. You don't lose out by this process, the cars are drivable with or without new features. Do you want them to stop development? I'm sure they want to continue expanding the game, plenty of new cars have been announced already and costs are offset by console versions and DLC (I hope?). I don't think there's need to worry.

alex72 likes this.
  11. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Well, the best way to try out an experimental feature is to limit it to a few cars... there's no logic in experimenting with a change to every car all at once.

I say bring on more cars... and hire a physics-b*tch or two for Aris to delegate the tedious stuff to. (Hiring? :D )

12. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

More than enough, yes, as even after 2000 hours I have not driven all of them and some I have driven very little, and I am only talking about the Kunos original content, not even the mods.
    Too many? Not possible, there is never too many, since disk space limitation does not exist anymore.

alex72, Lgt.t, Minolin and 1 other person like this.
  13. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

They have to keep releasing cars because that's what make $.

From perspective of a selfish player, we are far from too many, because interesting cars for me aren't here... yet. :p

Also agree about manpower, *cough* I'm good at copy&paste *cough*

Racert46 likes this.
  14. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The thing is new dlc's fund the continued development. More new content helps sell the base game and also other dlc packs. If it wasnt for new content generating more sales there wouldnt be so much of any continued work on the base and evolving new features along with extra simulation aspects.

Also the console release they decided to add even more content and there are plenty more licenses to go. Sure Kunos are now very busy but if it wasnt for the continued success of the game and the dlc's keeping up interest in the mainstream, then they wouldnt be busy with ac and would already have moved on to another project. Staying busy is a good problem to have for them I think. :D

The way I see it AC will continue development as long as interest is there and it still pays the bills. If the console release goes well then there may still be a few more dlc's to come after and a bit more development. Surely they dont plan to just release the console version then abandon ship.

There will be a time to start focusing on a new project but sims are alway an evolving product. What they have made now can be in some ways used in ac2 if that ever happens but that would only be if there is enough reason to rebuild the base engine enough to warrant a full new release version. This time will come but I dont see any reason to hurry that along as AC seems to be still doing quite well and likely a fair bit better then Kunos may have expected just after NKP amd announcing AC.

Epistolarius likes this.
  15. [LYN] Cheesenium

[LYN] Cheesenium Hardcore Simmer

There will be never enough cars in AC. And updating physics doesn't mean you have to update each car one by one. A GT3 update would probably applies to all the cars in that class.

16. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Still dont have Mclaren F1 road car and Ferrari 288 GTO, Im not satisfied yet.

Collin, f1webberfan and liakjim like this.
  17. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

Driving sims are interesting in that there's so much personal preference in a car. I tend to stick with maybe 3-4 cars that I drive all the time. But those few cars are probably completely different than what someone else really enjoys. So the more cars the better for the community as a whole. I would think physics updates are a global change in general and then certain cars might need fine tuning after.

AccAkut and AC_RAF like this.
  18. and there will be more cars.. so blame it on Marco

19. St3fan

St3fan Alien

At first I only care whether the cars I want to/might be able to own in real life are in the game or not, such as Ferrari 458, Porsche 911, Lotus Elise, Subaru STI, Mazda RX7 etc. Many of them are already in AC so at that time I thought there were enough cars in AC.

However, when more and more classic cars are introduced in AC, I start to wish to have more cars in AC. I wish AC to model all those beautiful classic cars. IMO AC offers the best road car driving, so I really hope that I can in AC drive cars like Toyota 2000GT, Porsche 356, Mercedes 300SL, Ferrari 250's, etc that I could never possibly drive IRL, or newer cars such as Lexus LFA, Porsche Carrera GT, Ruf CTR3, etc that I could never possible drive IRL either. I could look at those cars in AC showroom or make fancy screenshots in AC all day.

Also I find that most people who are "potential AC player/simracers" (mostly console gamers) care a lot more about how many cars there are in a racing game. Whenever I introduce AC or whatever racing sim to a friend, the immediate question they ask is "is there [insert car brand/model]", and "how many cars are there". None of them are satisfied about the number of cars in AC, and hesitate to buy AC and enjoy the fun. So I think to sell more copies, AC still needs more cars.

f1webberfan likes this.
  20. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

From what I see in Stefano's streams, the guys have developed some smart tools to help them calculate the impact of some physics variables, so hopefully Aris' work won't be THAT manual.
    Plus now that Stefano has come up with the "Controller" abstraction, it will be even easier for him to code in any impossible new feature he/Aris wants. At least that's what I understood from his stream.

Need. Moar. Cars. Mainly Hondas pls. Yea, @Michael Hornbuckle sue me for turning this topic into another wishlist

21. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke Alien

To many cars NO!!!....not enough competitive, competition racing FWD cars YES!!!

f1webberfan likes this.