1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Are there too many cars in AC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by WallyM, Jun 6, 2016.

1. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Some features should be global and not car specific. The tires are an example where there should be a central tire definition according to its characteristics, (ex: GT3 tires), and not a tyre definition for each GT3 car as we see in the SDK folder, that means that every single GT3 car has to be maintained each time there is a change.

Edit:
    There should be;
    Pirelli Pzero - 320/55 - 2015
    Goodyear xxx 190/70 - 1960
    Etc

A car should point to a specific tire and not have a complete tire definition in it's config.
    We can have a 100 cars but only 25 tires.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    GCCRacer and mistery like this.
  2. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

New tyres.ini:

Pirelli_P0255552016_SS
    Pirelli_P0255552016_M - [D] //Default
    Pirelli_P0255552016_Hard
    Pirelli_ST230602011

Pirelli_P0255552016_SS = Pirelli PZero 255/55 2016 super soft.

Single tire file: Pirelli_P0255552016

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  3. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

Yes, tires could and should be centralized.

That would be one benefit of implementing actual race series... i.e. if you add playmates for the Lotus 98t then you use the same tires. Adding five more different years of F1 cars instead adds new tires.

Generally it seems preferable to me to have fleshed out multi-manufacturer race series (like we have in GT3) than spread the car map all over the world and eras with only one example each. It gives more options for like-real-world racing and it makes overseeing and updating physics changes easier.

4. Omelete

Omelete Racer

no cars, no gran turismo and forza competition.

bad news for a true simracing players......

5. I am currently working my way through the entire list of road and classic cars @ Brands Hatch Indy at the moment. I would love to be able to race all of them online, but the AC population does not seem to be all that enthusiastic :(

f1webberfan likes this.
  6. As it pertains to the op question, I would easily choose more tracks and game enhancements over cars, especially if updates are more difficult or delayed due to the volume of cars. I agree with you as well that people mostly want gt2, gt3, mx5 races and leagues and it is a shame. I would love to race the F1 gtr, RUF, 72D, Formula 3 or even the stage 3 458, but unless it's on the Nords (or boreds as I like to call it) there isn't the demand. I am actually in a gt3 and mx5 league so I DO enjoy them (except that dang Lambo! Gives me fits) I just wish the other cars would get some love. Maybe we could start an "ultimate league" that has a different car/track every week? Wonder if it would sell?

If we were to get another car added, I would love the Skip Barber. Logically though i would think a gt3 ferrari was coming.

chalminho likes this.
  7. fabT

fabT Alien

Sure, let's reduce the number of the cars.

We just need a 1908 Ford T.
    Black.

8. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Too many cars? Are you serious? All of these cars is causing too much work for Aris? Are you serious. I mean this with all due respect to every Kunos employee, but that's their job. They started a software company with a certain goal (create the best driving/racing sim they're capable of). If Stefano adds a new feature, like the brake temperatures, Aris is going to have plenty of time to figure things out for each car. And if, for some reason, they really, really want to push the update out to everyone and Aris is only halfway through tweaking the new brake temperature settings then we'll get half of the cars with working brake temps and half won't have working brake temps. Or, if they want it all or nothing, we'll have to wait a little longer. Trust me. The people at Kunos know what they're doing. These are professionals we're talking about. Not hobbyists. They know how to manage workloads. We users do not have to worry our little heads on the daily task assignments of Kunos employees. :rolleyes:

alex72 likes this.
  9. AC_RAF

AC_RAF Hardcore Simmer

The craziest thing with AC for me, what is nearly magic, is that I can enjoy driving a Lotus 98T at 300km/h on Monza... And then take the Alfa Romeo 4C on Magione and enjoy the same way.

In other games, when you actualy "unblock" more powerful cars, it means a goodbye to your previous, slower cars.

Here, we can see that a lot of people use the Abarth 500... but who still use the Mazda Demio in Gran Turismo 3, after completing the first race ? :)
    (sorry for the old reference, but I still recall this first car) :D

So yes, I prefer less cars but more enjoyment.

alex72, Cote Dazur, chalminho and 2 others like this.
  10. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I do not really buy the "console racers need more cars to compete against GT and Forza" argument. Two months ago or so somebody wrote a first glance article for some online site, and he voiced the expectation after the test drive that AC will carry a fight to any console title not due to number of cars, but driving quality. It''s the physics and how much they will be welcomed by the console crowd or not, that decide whether AC successfully manages to break into the phalanx of long established console racing titles. Quality over quantity, so to speak. The author did not hide that he thinks that AC will mop the console floor with GT. Maybe he is too enthusiastic there, but the driving experience for console players will and should be lifted to a completely new level that before has not been known on consoles. And if that calculation proves right, then it might be more important for Kunos that they get the handling of the gamepad control damn right to transport the new quality via that input device, too. Because although most of us here probably agree that AC and according titles are pointless if not being driven with a wheel, a very very huge group of console players nevertheless do not own a wheel and will not invest into the sometimes absurdly high costs to get a wheel.

The above also means in reverse, that if the physics fail to do the trick for AC on consoles and fail to attract people, it will not matter whether AC has 20 cars more or less.

The greatest danger for Kunos is that fan crowds tend to have a tendency to stay with what they know, many players stick to a series that they know since years and they will balk over other titles easily just because they are not their favourite series title they feel for so strongly now. You have this often on the tech market, too. Somebody releases a new technical standard, and because he is first, he establishes himmself nad gets a high market share. Then comes somebody else who does it even better - but he has no real chance to succeed because he cannot beat the huge market share the first one already collected. A good example is video systems, VHS versus Video 2000. 2000 was the superior system with better cassette technology and better image quality, but when it appeared, VHS already had over 70% market shares. A couple of years later the superior video 2000 system was done and disappeared - undeserved, unreasonably, but that was how it went. Gran Turismo is such a dominant name on consoles. Since 20 years. It indeed will need the proverbial Italian passion for cars to successfully charge against this dominant competitor. I wish them well with it, they deserve it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  11. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

I see the point you are trying to make.
    But the fact that the console version is nearing ... and we see 2 of the most popular american brands coming to AC ... leads to only 1 conclusion.
    If you are hardcore racer ... you like the physics more even if you have to drive Abarth from 1364.

If you are more casual 1 ... like the most of the people ... you will look for the Porsche ... and then look for:
    A. EU West - Aston Martin/Jaguar
    B. EU North - BMW/Merc/Volvo :)
    C. EU South - Ferrari
    D. US - Corvette, Mustang, Ford
    E. EU East + ANZ - Opel :D

12. ouvert

ouvert Alien

no such a thing as too many cars .. if quality is not going down with quantity .. I guess with raising amount of cars I`ll be deleting some folders as I don`t need them all but more options - more happy customers .. and since cars are one of the faster parts of sim to create, divided between more people, it is just natural to keep em comming if there is a licence available ..

@Skybird yep .. cars won`t be an issue on consoles and I don`t think physics either .. some might be let down with tracks though (I don`t think AC will support mods on consoles?)

13. David Wright

David Wright Hardcore Simmer

Kunos do not need to match Forza or Gran Turismo sales to be successful. If you can sell just 10-20% of what they have sold you will have outsold the PC version of AC several times over.

14. ouvert

ouvert Alien

given that GT5 sold like 11 milion copies .. 10-20% would be pretty decent and optimistic .. lets hope :)

15. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

I think AC will double that. :D

16. ouvert

ouvert Alien

I wish .. that would surely bring some $$ for licencing and scanning more (non-EU) tracks :)

17. alex72

alex72 Alien

Of course. Quality always trumps quantity for a proper simracer. The cars we have now would take a lot of time for a newcomer to master. And i mean even a pro because there is a good mix of slow, middle and fast cars. And the slow cars like you say are FUN to drive compared to arcade games where its just a pain and you want to get away from them asap.

I dont know about that Kunos takes on too much. I havent seen evidence of that. I guess those that nitpick every little thing instead of enjoying themselves think so. If a car isnt 100% finished because a new feature is introduced - pick another car and enjoy. You can always get better, and racing your buddies for fun or serious is always fun no matter what car. Just pick the right track. :)

18. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I don't know, but TBH I'm not 100% satisfied with the JDM pack. AE86 looks a bit weird to me. I don't like how the pop-up headlights look and make me wish we have multiple light sources. Maybe it's just me. But anyways I still don't think 1) we have enough cars or 2) doing more cars is dragging the development for other features.

BTW sorry for being OT from the question OP raised in my first post in this thread.