1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Brake squeal? Seriously?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Snowman38, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob capewell

Rob capewell Simracer

well sadly you've just discovered a bug in my character. My bitterness does absolutely nothing and i should remove it.
    Sorry about that... turned out i was the one mistaken :-/
    Edit...
    oop's that didn't sound at all sincere... idle hands are the devils playground!
    if only i had something else to do with my freetime!

More edit...
    and to be fair the good lord got his hand forced...And listen, we all make mistakes but i'd be more inclined to give credit after the mistakes are rectified.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Horus likes this.
  2. SkechBG

SkechBG Racer

To remove this "things" go to AUDIO SETTINGS AND TURN UP ENGINE SOUND BRAKES AND EFECTS DOWN... LATER TURN UP YOUR TV , SOUND SYSTEM OR HEADPHONES and you go listen only the engine (if this is realistic for you) about the screen dirt...the solution is only one ...stop crying and go play Pcars,Gran Turismo or other game, and leave the sim lovers enjoy AC...with all sounds,dirt, and bull****s...

JesterDay likes this.
  3. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

4. well turns out I wasn't wrong after all. The setting is already gone in v1.09 which is currently out for PS4 and sadly not out yet for XB1 and the guys already removed that "brakes" thing back in October. Infact the guy who posted the screen is on XB1.. so the world makes sense again :)

I think we used to have brake audio slider back in the Tech Preview or in Early Access and that was removed long time ago on the PC... very surprising to see it was in the console GUI... genuine WTF moment for me.

5. liakjim

liakjim Alien

You need to hear the Vulcan's brakes on Grand Tour's 2nd episode or here :

6. Snowman38

Snowman38 Hardcore Simmer

You should bring a working brake slider back :)
    Really though, please don't let the direction this thread has taken, or perhaps my overly blunt approach suggest anything other than the fact that I truly love this game and what you guys have done! The physics are top notch, please keep up the hard work :)

7. Snowman38

Wow.. I stand corrected. That's piercing..

I'd still like the option to turn it down though.

uHu likes this.
  8. Pleite

Pleite Simracer

It would be incredible to see Aston Martin coming to AC. How I'd love to drive them in a SIM like this! Some Dodges would also be welcome.

9. Horus

Horus Alien

Did I just read a 'Suck it up buttercup' moment. Love you Lord Kunos. LOL :D

10. it wasn't my intention at all. As KS and AC get bigger my "parts" in the game get smaller and smaller so there are many situation where users might know more about the game than me... my character is to be totally open, I enjoy my weekends writing here sometimes but I don't pretend to be infallible.. some people might appreciate this some might find it funny and take pleasure of seeing somebody else writing something wrong and there is nothing wrong with it.

11. Larryf1951

Larryf1951 Hardcore Simmer

Funny, just this past Sunday my truck was making that sound. It turned out to be a ruined throwout bearing. Hurt my ears to drive it.

12. Horus

Horus Alien

Apologies Lord Kunos. I was being facetious. Suck it up... :D

bradleyland, Grijo and Larryf1951 like this.
  13. MBK72

MBK72 Hardcore Simmer

Good to read this, the only approach to improvement that really works, be open to the feedback, see if there is anything in it and what can be done if there is an issue.

Why some forum users get overly defensive of the game on your behalf is difficult to understand.

kofotsjanne and Larryf1951 like this.
  14. bradleyland

bradleyland Hardcore Simmer

You should really visit a real race track some time. It doesn't really matter if you go on a test & tune day, where amateurs are out running their own cars, or if you go to a major sporting event like an IMSA, PWC, WEC, or FIA GT race, just get out there and see some folks racing some time. You'd be amazed at the noises the cars make when driven on a track.

Specifically with regard to brakes, the demands of racing are different than the demands of street driving. I have an E92 M3, which is a sporty car, but it is far, far from a true sports car. If I put Pagid yellow pads (track-duty brake pads) on my car, the squealing is so loud people will try to tell me something is wrong with my car. The thing is, when you're racing, you don't care about noises, you care about performance, and race-duty pads often squeak and squeal. If you go to a track, you'll hear a ton of it, even on little cars like the Miata (which you'll see a ton of).

Another interesting thing is that the perception of brake-squeal=bad is far more prevalent in the US than it is in European markets. BMW uses different brake pads in the US market than they do in Europe. The US pads are much quieter than the European pads, but the US pads also generate a ton more brake dust. Lots of guys will buy the Euro pads to cut down on dust, even if they make more noises.

So, all of this is a polite way of saying that you've done a lot of ranting out of ignorance. I don't mean that in an offensive way. I mean that constructively. Before you go ranting about how sports and racing cars should sound on a track, you should spend some time around the real life counter parts. Seeing the occasional Ferrari, Porsche, or Lamborghini on the street doesn't count, because it's extremely unlikely that they're equipped with track-duty brake pads.

15. Plato99

Plato99 Simracer

From experience, most Lamborghinis on the street are equipped with a 19 year old website designer "steering wheel attendant" with a brain the size of a walnut.

Larryf1951 and bradleyland like this.
  16. Snowman38

I visit my local racetrack 3 or 4 weekends every season for the past 10 years. I rarely hear brake squeal. :rolleyes:

I say rarely because yes i HAVE heard brake squeal from a few cars.. But the majority of the time I'm not thinking wow that guys brakes suck.. Whether thinking that out of ignorance or not, I rarely think that to myself while watching cars round the track.

I've also watched a lot of in car videos, and again, rarely do I feel like the brakes seem loud or squeal too much... Out of ignorance or not.

I don't take offence to the term ignorant, like most people.. But everything I've said here is the truth, I'm not embellishing or lying. So I'm more confused now than before, as to why so many people feel like brake squeal is totally normal. o_O

17. bradleyland

bradleyland Hardcore Simmer

Because brake squeal is completely normal. Or maybe more accurately, it is not indicative of a problem with the brakes. It is merely the sound of the pad oscillating as it grips the rotor.

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  18. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

I really like it :) I consider it to be AFB (audible feed back) and, yes, it may not be 100% realistic, but neither is most wheel's FFB. That doesn't mean I would want that removing just because my wheel doesn't behave like a real wheel would.

Anything that helps me to drive or adds to immersion is okay with me :)

19. Larryf1951

Larryf1951 Hardcore Simmer

Was at a traffic light next to a lime green gallardo. Light changed and I expected the car to scream off. Nope. The guy revved and went nowhere. I pulled away and he was still trying to find the gear.
    He lurched up to the next traffic light looking confused and embarrassed. Poor dumb soul.

20. Chaospunx

Chaospunx Rookie

Brake squeal doesn't mean the brakes aren't in tip top condition it's to do with compounds I don't drive fast cars but I do trackdays and race motorbikes the carbon matrix pads I use squeal badly just the way it is

Oh and just to add the pads I use in the wet don't at all

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    bradleyland and Fat-Alfie like this.