1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Car set-up wisdoms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by bap, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Lol! Marakatti, you silly! :D

liakjim likes this.
  2. For me, getting time from a setup is on a negative exponential curve. There are quite a few major changes which will help get a better time and shave a second or 2 off in combination with driving that setup the fastest way, but after that the returns from tinkering are very much diminishing - especially when driving in changeable conditions.

Rodrigo Pires likes this.

3. That was a tough one.. ..not perfect by any means. I think I still have some valuable info for beginners. Once again, if you know setups well, there's nothing to see really. Video should be atleast 3 times longer if done more accurately. At the end I still had some things I would liked to improve but given the fact that your capacity of memory card and battery keeps going down so you had to take some shortcuts.

As said I'm not happy with the video and the pace I had, so someday I might do a revision for this video. You never know.. Still not familiar with the recent physics changes...

At the moment I'm writing this Youtube still process the video but there should be already 30FPS 1080P available. Might take some time to get the full 60 FPS...

Edit: Just tried in RSR optimal conditions that this setup with a couple of fine tune clicks is capable for high 1.44's race pace (medium tyres & 30l of fuel). Raised the car 2 mm's and increased 1 click for front ARB.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    kofotsjanne, snyperal, Octane and 4 others like this.
  4. PuffTheMagicBelgian

PuffTheMagicBelgian Hardcore Simmer

Hi Nahkamarakatti,

First of all, thx for those videos!

About those crashes...i experienced those 2, turned out i had a broken memory stick. I tested all my ram sticks one by one and one gave me errors.
    I left that out of my Pc and went from 16 Gb dual channel to 8 Gb dual channel and all is well again, no crash has occurred since then.
    Maybe u have a bad ram stick!

Hope u find the problem!

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  5. Thanks. Not impossible theory. Still I think it has something to do with the Windows key because I havent had any crashes ever since..

6. Well... the silver lining could be that your video might have given the Drama Llama (they spit if you piss them off) James from PRC something to write about, which is a good thing, meaning of life stuff and all that.

Excellent video, it's always a pleasure to listen someone talk about facts with good 'ol "Häkkis" (from F1 world champion Mika Häkkinen) english :p, which these days does have a cooler name based on the History channels TV show Vikings "Viking english".
    The GT cars, which I haven't got so much into as of yet, are very interesting cars. I love watching them racing 'cause of the diversity and competitiveness within the series. Very nice clues how to tackle pretty much all cars with Aero setups.

Anywhoo, keep it up. I like! ;)

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  7. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I read and learn. Problem is to keep all that in my memory chip. :)

Octane likes this.
  8. For me this kind of video is a nice challenge. 10 years ago my English teacher would've got an heart-attack if she would've seen me doing this kind of things public. :D
    I was the young and stupid who never took the opportunity to learn something from the school.

These days I'm just wondering why we tried to learn how to book a hotel room when we would've done something we are motivated to learn. Same things goes to physics lessons. The friction between race car tyre and road surface is much more interesting than the friction between your shoe and the icy ground, if you know what I mean.. :)

These days I'm old enough to not to be ashamed of the lack of English skills and therefore I don't give a sh*t what others will think of it.. :) I feel sorry for the native English speakers though.. :)

I'm proudly defending the spirit of Finnish motorsport, viking english. These days it feels like those Spanish motobike youngsters have stolen our traditions. They took the speed also... :D

Anyway back to the topic, thanks for the feedback.

9. Well said. Quite well discribes my school years as well. Later the hunger for knowledge has kindled and I seem to absort everything about everything.
    English as a language always stuck to my head like a tick, and I was relatively good pronoucer even in school.
    Today it is second nature to me, and should be since my wife is from good 'ol USA, so I've been speaking english more than any other language for the past 10 years.

That "shame" you mention is an odd thing, because it is us Finns that feel it and native english speakers do not understand why. They hear us speaking english, and to them we just have an accent, when we hear "Häkkis" or "Rally" or "Politician" english (have the vocabulary, but pronounciation is very phonetic using Finnish alphabets, which to us makes it sound very awkward and clunky) .
    A lot of people, even in my immidiate family shy from speaking english because of that shame they feel for not sounding proper in their heads, but it is not real, it is only in the peoples heads that think that native might hear their language being abused.
    I have had a lot of conversations about this with my wife and other Americans, they have no clue what we even talk about when we say we sound weird.

So, Viking English all the way... there is a lot of people who actually think it's sexy, so people don't let your inner demons shy you away from using your mother tongue colored second language.

10. Arch

Arch Alien

I tried to get rid of the accent, and it worked for a very short time, then it came right back.

Now I'm studying Japanese so the English speakers don't feel that their language is the only one being *****.

11. Come on, finns. Let's go back to the topic which is universal thing: setups. :)

12. Skybird

Skybird Alien

13. lionbest

lionbest Racer

I'm struggling with BMW m235i and Paul Ricard. If anyone has a good setup and maybe some advice, that would be great.

14. Wow interesting thread :D I actually came here to get to know what toe in and out actually does and found it out with the guide which @Skybird linked up here. Also found @Arch 's first post really interesting! Even though i basically know what almost everything in the set-up does, i don't use it. Except for aero and gearing (so that the car has it's maximum speed at the end of the longest straight, and/or have moderate downforce in quick corners), i don't touch anything much, because when i do, it feels worse than before or the default setup. For example: When a car has it's camber at like 1,5, or more, at the rear i lower it to maybe 0,5 or lower with having in mind that it will oversteer less. But all what happens is that it get's worse?! So for me, the default setup kind of "feels" the best, except for gearing and aero. I don't know though if the default also is the fastest, because i just drive for fun most of the times.

15. sarabwt

sarabwt Simracer

hahaha yeah, lowering camber at the rear means from --->-1.5<--- going to -1.8. camber is a negative value, so if you want to lower it, the number is higher, but it is negatively higher :D

16. Oh sorry :D This is kind of confusing with all the negative numbers and english not being my native language:D I actually meant it like this: going from -1.5 to -0.5 for example ;)

snyperal likes this.
  17. sarabwt

sarabwt Simracer

Yeah, thats what i said. it is supposed to get worse if you do that. if you want more grip in the rear, you have to decrease the camber. if you go from -1.5 to -0.5 it will oversteer more.

snyperal likes this.
  18. Arch

Arch Alien

Camber angle is always measured as negative in the racing world, and increasing camber means more negative camber.

Decreasing camber, or increasing positive camber, is when they're referring to taking away negative camber.

19. sarabwt

sarabwt Simracer

That is true, but when you are doing setup you arent pressing the + button, that is why i said that you are "decreasing" it. Less negative camber rarely does you any good in circuit racing... except tems and tyre wear, but if you dont have any cornering grip, you achieved nothing.

20. michael_

michael_ Simracer

Yes, but Lewis isn't riding the simulator. We are. And one that is considerably simpler. So all of that hand-waving real world thing is immaterial - and really whatever you want to imagine about the drivers doing their setups the brains of the operation aren't in the car. Bearing in mind that Lewis Hamilton can't even beat his brother when it comes to a computer game. It isn't like driving and I believe it's a mistake to approach it as if it is.

Engineers probably smile sometimes and say "sure, we'll change it" a lot of the time. (insert placebo comment/gag here)

The point was to show that the complexity you imagine that "takes years" simply isn't there.

Of course, in practise we can't really do it except as a thought experiment. Putting aside there's no nice interface
    or way (as far as I'm aware) to say "run laps as fast as the computer can, not in real time" the AI are simply not fast enough.

At least not the couple I've checked. Stefano has said on twitter (or maybe in his videos) that the AI have beat the record time but I wonder if he isn't simply looking at track/car combinations where humans have not posted fast times (one downside of having a 3rd party lap record system - it's not very competitive because too few are using it)

Maybe it would be better to simply ignore the in game AI and write a program that acts as a virtual wheel and pedals. Assetto corsa would see it as
    controller and you could make your "driver" an external program - assuming you could find some way of getting feedback about where you are etc etc.

That would be no fun? I think it would be more fun that playing the game TBH.

IRL that would be true - at least for now. But not in a discrete computer system. Given access to the data you can say where the differences were.

You seem to be hoping that humans will always beat computers with some kind of experience thing, but they won't. It's just that AI in games, such as it's called isn't built to solve that problem and the processing power required for it may be significantly higher than that needed to run the game.

But, just as IBM wrote a computer system that won jeopardy and beat the best guy at chess. If they write one to drive Assetto Corsa hotlaps then it would win. You wouldn't find an extra tenth that it wouldn't find.

In fact, I'd imagine before long the same will be true in the real world as well - although the money being thrown at computer drivers seems mostly about driving the kids to school, someone will want to race them.