1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Diy servo wheel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Psit, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Psit

Psit Alien

Hello, since there is an accuforce thread i am making this one so we can discuss about these wheels in AC.

Personally, i have just built one and i am trying to dial my settings in.
    The Force feedback is REALLY awesome compared to my G25 but i think there are a couple of inaccuracies.

I have to say i have only spent about 1 hour driving and setting up the wheel and that i had my G25 dialed up PERFECTLY.

My main concerns are 2. - These were not issues with my G25 since it was either too slow or too weak to understand these "problems"

1. When the rear steps out, you counter steer as you would in real life, but when you want to bring it straight again the wheel is fighting you, it shouldn't. In this case the wheel should not fight me when trying to straighten it out, it should be weak.

2. All cars feel like they have huge self aligning forces with this wheel, like a really strong centering spring.

Please note these are early impressions and that a G25 is not the best thing to compare it to. Maybe what i am getting can be fixed by driver settings or more testing, maybe its the normal thing !

Either way, the feeling is just out of this world concerning FFB and i really want to make it perfect.
    My current settings are:

Driver:
    100% force / 30 damper / everything else is OFF

AC:
    25% gain / 50% damper / 20% curbs /everything else is off

Edit: Tagging @Aristotelis in case he wants to help us (really few i guess) servo wheel "drivers" ! (Κερνάω Goody's)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DIY Wheel Badges (Thrustmaster) Aug 4, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions DIY Arduino Button Boxes for XBox (from thread: keyboard shortcut for TC-cut increase/decrease) Nov 22, 2020
    ACC General Discussions DIY conversion of a Gaming Chair into fixed rig ^^ May 22, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Number of buttons at DIY ButtonBox Apr 11, 2019
    Chit Chat Room [DIY] Introducing my new rim Nov 19, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Home Built DIY Dream Porsche 911 in 4 minutes Nov 28, 2017
    Console Lounge DIY handbrake mod for Xbox One PS4 and PC Jul 29, 2017
    Console Lounge DIY hydraulic e-brake, console and pc and much more Dec 8, 2016
    Console Lounge Besy Damn DIY Seq shifter build ever Oct 12, 2016
    Chit Chat Room DIY Wind Simulator: Speed based fans Sep 25, 2016
    General modding discussion TDS DIY - Arduino Analog Handbrake Sep 22, 2016
    General modding discussion DIY Wireless headtracker Jun 30, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Diy wheel project Sep 15, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Diy helicam/blimpcam Sep 10, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Diy monitor stand from the simpit Sep 4, 2015

3. Fivizzz

Fivizzz Simracer

I've never drifted or even catched an oversteer in real life, but I guess there should still be some kind of resistance when you straighten up the wheel before it does itself.

To counter the oversteer you supposedly get the front wheels heading in the direction the car is going, to give them grip (or keep them grippy) and take back control. That's where the "path of least resistance" is, isn't it? Once the back wheels regain grip, you're steering the front wheels back straight preemptively, to avoid rebound, but that's not where they would naturally go. You are actually steering the car, so shouldn't you get similar forces as when you usually steer?

Still, regarding your issues, I guess Kunos may have strengthen up the FFB in drifting conditions to make drifting more compatible with "toy" wheels and make up for their lack of torque.

But that's something only the devs actually know.

4. Psit

Psit Alien

You are probably right, i get what you are saying about toy wheels.

Servo direct drive FFB checkbox in AC settings maybe? :D

ericRacer likes this.
  5. Nice one,i believe this must be the first dd wheel in Greece?

How much was the total cost if i may ask cause im interested?

The ''problem'' about the wheel fighting you was really evident in my T500rs which made me come back to using an older g27.In the recent build updates though ive not experienced it with the g27.Maybe adding some damping to the wheels control panel could rectify it?

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

It's not uncommon for drifters to let go of the wheel for a brief moment when making corrections, the torque can spin the wheel faster than we can. It also allows for natural return to center. Some of the testers of the AF actually perform this very test to determine the proper amount of dampening in the wheel settings to avoid oscillation.

7. Psit

Psit Alien

Maybe, i will play around with it a bit more. Actually, me and @Akis Kev both built them at the same time :p

Cost should be about 1.000 euros including the clubsport fanatec shifters from fanatec and a nice Abarth racing 310mm wheel.
    I will have to do more accurate calculations though.

I know, when i tried drifting i realized that i had to let go of the wheel and it will turn as much as needed or until the forces tell it to stop turn, what happens NEXT is the issue here (maybe its not an issue at all) is that i have to put a lot of effort to straighten out the wheel.

Maybe its normal though.... will see ::)

By the way, i dont see a way to race this thing at 100% (15nM) of power , its just impossible for a normal guy to handle all this power for 30-40 minutes. While driving the FABARTH i could not wait until the turn was over because i couldnt hold it anymore at about 60% of the power of the wheel. Crazy **** :D

vilivili and Leemstradamus like this.
  8. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

Psit & I followed the guides from http://www.racingfr.com and http://forum.virtualracing.org and created our DIY servo wheels.
    The total cost is under 1000 euro.

Back on topic, I think that there is a lot of testing to be done before we can draw a conclusion about the right FFB settings.
    The feeling is sensational though!

Leemstradamus likes this.
  9. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Yeah, most DD wheels seem to be used with iRacing, there hasn't been much information on use with other titles - at least not outside of certain circles.

10. nonnex

nonnex Alien

hehe, have you ever done carting for 1:30 plus hours in a row? Your arms will feel like goo after that (if they are not used to) and some parts of your body - that you even never know that they even exists - will hurt a lot.

Thanks for your post about this, because I have plans to get this nice hardware by my self.

PS: if not, go carting, helps. ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  11. Psit

Psit Alien

I have done some carting and i can guarantee you this wheel can reproduce those forces... (meaning the intensity of the forces)

In any case, if you people have questions about the DIY wheel you can ask away now that the information is fresh in our heads... :)

Leemstradamus and nonnex like this.
  12. Psit

Psit Alien

Well, i just tried iRacing.

In iracing, the FFB is more convincing when using this wheel, not so with my G25 before it.
    If you ignore the mediocre (imo) tire model and weird driving feel, the feedback from the wheel is superb.
    The main differences are 2 :

1. When turning the wheel in AC you feel a constant spring effect. In iracing this effect is a lot more convincing because it changes force and feel throughout the turns.

2. There is no oscillation or overshooting. Going straight on at 100km/h in the mazda, slap the wheel and it turns to center liek a normal car would, after only bouncing left right once or twice.

That said, the detail of overall forces in AC is a lot better and the driving feels so much better that i can live with some oscillation fail, here is hoping @Lord Kunos will notice this and give us mode options for powerful wheels.

I hope my English are good enough for you to understand what i want to say...

13. So far the titles that has survived servo power has been Assetto Corsa and iRacing. Both of these titles has some flaws. In AC it could be tough time to get rid of the oscillation with some cars and in iRacing I couldn't get the feeling dampened enough.

Ps. Have someone found a way to make rF2 FFB for even decent level? I found it feeling great when standing still or leaving pitbox but as soon as the speed goes higher I lose all the feedback. I have absolutely no idea what the car is doing. Still when the backend steps out my wheel wants to rip my wrists off. One thing what feels really weird is the moment front wheels starts losing grip. There's no transition from resistance to lightweight feel. I'm not talking about overshooting the turn-in but as soon as the tyres starts to slip, not slide.

14. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus Hardcore Simmer

Interesting, from what I've seen the accuforce wheel has a nice option to bypass the ffb from assetto corsa and create forces based off of the physics calculations directly. But I haven't seen any videos using rfactor 2 yet. Is there a way for the diy guys to get the calculations directly from the physics instead?

15. Actually that was my mistake. Damping makes it better and OSW doesn't know how to change DOR in rF2. So if I set DOR manually and increase damping everything seems to be fine!

Edit: Now my only troubles with the rF2 is terrible performance with triples and even more terrible UI.

16. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus Hardcore Simmer

Glade I'm not the only one with the terrible performance with triple screens in that game.

17. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

This thread is worthless without some vids. I'm starting with this

:D

18. Psit

Psit Alien

I see your vids and i raise you 1 vid :D

I made this vid to show a friend the wheel movement, excuse the driving :p

Salad Fingers, vilivili and Akis Kev like this.
  19. Guys could any one of you record the response of the wheel while drifting in AC?Is the feeling-response-ffb great in rF2 and Pcars as well?

thanks in advance :)

20. Stereo

Stereo Alien

The too-strong self aligning force is reported in the bug forum (thread link), I've also noticed the resistance to straightening the wheel while drifting (on my DFGT I can fight through it, I imagine with 8x the torque it's harder) There doesn't seem to be much response in the direction of fixing either one unfortunately. More likely to get shouted down by AC fans who are convinced it has the best FFB It felt really weird drifting in another game after playing AC for a while, the wheel just lets you straighten out so much better. On the other hand, the track/car quality in AC is unparalleled...

21. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

Resistance to realign front wheels in a car depends a lot on the car features like mechanical servo vs full electric steering vs no servo.