1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Do pop-up lights affect ae86 and miata in the game?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by jiaoshouxu, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Spend the time adding success ballast instead :D :D

I don't really mind if it gets added or not TBH, I do like driving the 86 with lights popped and would probably still do so in pub races if the effect is very minor. A minor tweak to the T70's drag cost it around a tenth on longish straights, if it is that strong i'll keep em off.

2. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

Schnipp likes this.
  3. WallyM

WallyM Alien

You'd think the aero effect would be pretty small. It might not be worth it, one way or the other, if the difference is barely noticeable.

4. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

I vote yay as well. +1 Simulation value :)

arthur666 likes this.
  5. WallyM

WallyM Alien

@Lord Kunos
    A bunch of drag info about pop up headlights here:

The implication is that there's an appreciable increase in drag, in the vicinity of 10%.

6. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Damn you Wally, I found that video too. :D

7. WallyM

WallyM Alien

LOL, Lord Kunos has probably watched it years ago :)
    Still, interesting stuff.

Schnipp likes this.
  8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Some older cars had adjustable mirrors such that the whole attachment moved.
    I suspect if those are taken into account and if adjustable mirrors are there at some very distant moment in the unforeseeable future, people will adjust their mirrors to add/remove downforce/drag as well. :D

9. Jadonyx

Jadonyx Hardcore Simmer

Yay, of course. So that we can parry rain and night games fanatics with phrase "but you dont have air drag when your lights are up" :D
    What is better that features? More features.

IgnacioKotas likes this.
  10. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

Try me, good Sir .
    If I need light, I´ll POP ma lights ... just gotta be quicker in the corners then ^^

I´d love to see additive aero resi added to AC`s carpool wherever it´s applicable ...

11. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

Yes and VR users absolutely need an ability to duck head down a bit in openwheelers to reduce drag. :p

coret3x, paul_wev, Gevatter and 2 others like this.
  12. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

You want numbers?

I'll give you numbers!

RX-7 stock (top speed 287 km/h)
    2017-07-10 15_16_48-Assetto Corsa.jpg

RX-7 with 8% drag increase (top speed 282 km/h)
    2017-07-10 15_37_41-Assetto Corsa.jpg

I set the app so that it starts around 5.000 rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, while the upper limit is just at the ideal shifting point (3rd + 4th) and 250 / 270 km/h in 5th gear (didn't know which one would give better data, so I took both.
    Just so that there are no gear shifts involved. (I'll add some 100-200 and 100-250 later)

I did each gear with multiple runs and started each run below 4.000 rpm to be sure there's no turbo lag involved. The results were very consistent.

3rd gear, 100-155:
    5.09s vs. 5.12

4th gear, 140-220:
    12,91s vs. 13.33s

5th gear, 180-250:
    20.41s vs. 22.14s

180-270:
    31.44s vs. 36.18s

(don't mind the last three entries, I tried to simulate the time loss on a 600m straight that you enter with 90km/h, but the results were to inconsistent and I think the app can be set up in a way this could work)

EDIT
    100-200 and 100-250 km/h data:

stock:
    2017-07-10 16_17_33-Assetto Corsa.jpg

high drag:
    2017-07-10 16_14_12-Assetto Corsa.jpg

100-200: 11.98s vs. 12.16s
    100-250: 26.52s vs. 27.97s

I wish I could measure the difference it makes on a straight.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Jaye, jiaoshouxu and Cote Dazur like this.
  13. TDS

TDS Alien

YAY!!!!x1000, simulation value over 9000 :D:D:D

14. quakeguy

quakeguy Hardcore Simmer

Yay! Absolutely.

15. Davemester

Davemester Racer

please do. Therefore people will go slower in the dark. its dangerous :D :D :D

16. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I doubt it's possible to slow down the Miata some more. :p :D

17. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I want to force lights off in the NA MX5 and on in the AE86 to balance the drag on those 2 cars a bit... headlight BoP!!

Schnipp likes this.
  18. Mathieu Labbé

Mathieu Labbé Hardcore Simmer

I'd say go for it too, unless AC want to stay in the simcade category :p

19. arthur666

arthur666 Alien

Well, they could simulate a failing O2 sensor. Mine's about as fast as a day-old dog turd right now. (Which is not much different than before somehow :p )

Slow as it is, still one of my favorite cars to drive in AC and IRL.

20. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Didn't say that slow means bad. ;)

arthur666 likes this.