1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Downshift Protection inconsistent...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Manny S., Mar 28, 2017.

1. iVG

iVG Alien

Spot on, Aris. I think people are getting too wound up in a thing that is there to protect engine damage and ultimately protect them from spinning out, which should be avoided anyway, like in a manual transmission. Just DON'T do it. Don't press the paddle if your foot is still on the gas.
    I think people who come from other racing titles and/or have the habit from earlier versions of AC, when you could basically brake using your engine and nothing else, need to give up on their habit. I know, it's hard and all but it won't yield any time on track, so it's a habit worth giving up.

2. St3fan

St3fan Alien

In real life, is there shift protection to prevent going down into neutral or reverse? I sometimes hit the downshift button too quick and shift into reverse when the car is still moving. I think there should be some mechanism that prevents going from forward gear into reverse. Right?

3. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

On most cars there is such protection (which personally I find a bit annoying as it prevents shifting into neutral while the car is still moving).

4. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Anything that forces people to drive/behave in a more realistic manner is fine by me.

After_Midnight and ALB123 like this.
  5. John Gordon

John Gordon Hardcore Simmer

Why
    Why would you want to shift into neutral when moving?

Mogster likes this.
  6. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Depends on the car. In some cars you might having an impact and switch to neutral because then you can start to go again faster.
    Other reasons include: pitstops (yes, there is no stalling in AC, still I'm used to it), J-turns (R-N-1)

Before that protection was there (can't remember when it was introduced, maybe around a year ago) I didn't really think like that was a problem that needed fixing.
    Don't know what the big issue with counting gears is.

But ok, we are all different and if it helps others who can't count I'm fine with that.
    I am a bit annoyed by it, but it's not really a game stopper. ;)

7. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

This is precisely how I look at it. The DSP is teaching me a lesson. If I hear that BEEP! that means I am doing something wrong. Not the car. Not Assetto Corsa...ME. I think it is a fantastic addition (the new DSP warning).
    I come to AC via a 2 year stint breaking my sim virginity with Gran Turismo 6. I would often watch videos of the "top drivers" and boy could they exploit having no DSP throwing cars into 2nd gear at obscene speeds and such to slow down. Reason #1037 why I'm so happy I gave up the GT scene and switched to AC. :cool:

8. St3fan

St3fan Alien

Just quote myself... I was trying to make a suggestion when I posted that.
    I mean in AC there currently doesn't seem to be shift protection preventing people from changing from forward gear to neutral or reverse. IIRC R3E implements this correctly. I think it is needed in AC.

9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Looks like Stefano managed to implement the additional log file entries discussed in here for the current patch. So maybe now is the right moment for someone to provide some more data to analyze and see if the system can be improved.

10. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

If you're talking paddles on a paddle shift car then that protection is already there, I know it's annoyed me when trying to get into into neutral when moving forward ever so slightly

11. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Yesterday I was able to slightly damage the engine of Alfa Romeo 4C despite of DSP. This happens now and then with various cars with DSP.. don't know if it's intended or just my bad shifting being able to pass the DSP. But shouldn't it prevent this? Happened when was trying to brake late to pass AI, with fast as possible engine braking

12. St3fan

St3fan Alien

Maybe the protection going into neutral or reverse is also not consistent then. I'm gonna test some more cars.

13. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Must be because I'm quite sure I've experienced not being able to shift to reverse when the car is moving.

14. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

It's a bit different though. The downshift protection is mostly for street or track day cars.
    The protection against shifting into neutral (and hence into reverse) also affects open wheelers and GT cars (don't know if all of them), which don't have a downshift protection (or I didn't notice).
    Might still be the same or related code, we don't know that of course. ;)

St3fan likes this.
  15. fr13del

fr13del Racer

Lol, why should i not shift into neutral when i'm rolling to a stoplight e.g.?

16. John Gordon

Because there's no need too. In flappy paddle cars. The clutch will bite when it needs too.

And because if you're talking about a manual, its not optimal as you loose engine braking and your differential.

17. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

There are some unusual cases, the one it's most used (rarely though) is after going off track or after a crash. Because if you are in gear and already roll backwards then you can go to N and therefore not R. Sometimes it would help to get back on track faster or more important, get off track faster with cars approaching. In this case you would have to stop in paddle shifted cars, select N and then you can reverse.

18. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

So what about race cars with a sequential gear box?
    (Actually at least F1 cars do have a stalling prevention system, but I'm not sure if it would jump in there.)

19. John Gordon

Sequential simply refers to the way the gears mesh together. F1 cars don't use sequential, they use seamless.

There's still a clutch between the flywheel and input shaft.

Most modern road and race cars thst use an automatic manual style setup will have an ecu specific to the gearbox. This can pull the clutch when sensors such as wheel speed, gear selection, engine speed hit pre described parameters.

A sequential gear set won't need a clutch when changing gear... You're right there. But they need one to pull away. Think motorbike.

20. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

True. You can't just put the next gear though, but the effort is less complicated than heel & toe.
    Since the topic is on the plate I'm wondering if you can easily overrev/wreck a bike with downshifting, or if there is some kind of mechanical sorcery invovled (so far I was not brave enough to try). What I know is that it is becoming harder to pick the N gear (between 1 and 2) the faster you go, stuff like that. 100% mechanical on 2003 ZX9R.