1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Downshift Protection inconsistent...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Manny S., Mar 28, 2017.

1. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

@John Gordon: yes, you are of course right, but you completely missed the point. :p

These cars usually have a button for the neutral gear (and reverse) but we can't map that in AC. So currently it's not possible to put the car in neutral when you're still rolling, while in reality you should be able to.
    Does it matter? Maybe. Maybe not. Since you can't stall the engine it's not a really big deal right now, but it can be annoying. That's all I said in my original post.
    Annoying doesn't mean it's a game breaker. ;)

aphidgod and John Gordon like this.
  2. John Gordon

John Gordon Hardcore Simmer

I'm good at missing points.

As you say, since we can't stall the car's its non-essential at the moment.
    On a motorbike I would presume that the rear wheel would lock before epic over rev, since they have such a large rev range and there is not much weight over the rear wheel. As said though, based solely on thought clouds.

3. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

This all seems a bit wrong. Sequential - as the name clearly implies - means gears are changed in sequence, i.e. no going directly from second to fourth. Regardless of what clever stuff makes a transmission 'seamless', it's still sequential.

As for 'the way gears mesh together', I don't think you'll find any modern transmission (slushboxes excepted) which doesn't use constant mesh gears and dog clutches, regardless of whether it's manual, automatic or semi-auto.

Am no expert, so happy to be told otherwise.

Tomcul likes this.
  4. John Gordon

John Gordon Hardcore Simmer

Well, technically seamless is a marketing term as theres no such thing.

As you say a sequential bix uses dog clutches on a constant mesh.

A seamless box is more like a standard H pattern gear box you'd get in a standard car. The difference being there are 2 barrrels which share half of the gears each. As you press a paddle on the steering wheel, you're pressing an electronic switch. This sends a signal to an ecu which does two things, it disengages the current gear and engages the next gear which it has primed on the other side of the gearbox waiting. This is a simultaneous so both things are happening at once.

Some of the GT3 cars use a different type of gearbox again. A dual clutch set-up. Two separate lay shafts.

5. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

Nope. The game just seems to use dual-clutch systems like traditional sequential box with torque cutoff.. Especially noticeable with the F138 which should be truly seamless.

[​IMG]

6. Baikal

Baikal Simracer

This. Thanks. We'll wait )
    Now sometimes i can't downshift from low rpm in 6 gear to 5th in Silverstone International approaching to 2nd turn in RSR 2017 default set. Next lap i can do normally. Looks like very unnaturally and inconsistent it same condition. It need to be... investigated and corrected.

7. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

911 RSR protection doesn't appear to be stopping me from putting it in neutral or reverse while still travelling forward at low speed

8. Manny S.

Manny S. Gamer

Downshift protection still very broken. Constantly preventing me from downshifting at very low rpm/speed. A few laps will be fine and all of a sudden I'll get the alert icon. Shame Kunos forces this on us.

9. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Post a bug report with logs after a race it happens in and they will surely fix that sort of thing.

LeDude83 likes this.
  10. Orne

Orne Alien

What car ?

I've found that in cars I drive that use paddle shifters, the more frequently I drive the car the more intuitive I become at unconsciously knowing at what point I can downshift without engaging downshift protection.

My ears have become attuned to the sound of the engine and when its appropriate to downshift. When you consider that brake pads have an infinite lifespan in AC there is no excuse for not using proper threshold braking technique and not depending on engine braking to slow the car down.

So much of this depends on driving style, experience and how much time you spend with a particular car. Spend a week or two in one car everyday at the same track and your brain will subconsciously sort out when it is the appropriate time to down shift.

With that said, there very well could be something broken with downshift protection on some cars. Although it might be wiser to err on the side of caution and confirm the issue isn't driver error, inexperience or sloppy driving technique

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  11. Broekie

Broekie Gamer

Yesterday suddenly in a offline race in the 911 GT3 R I could barely race as the game wouldn't let me downshift. I mean 60 Kph and not letting me shift from 3th to second. I restarted AC a few times, even checked the game in steam. Only after I restarted the computer I could downshift normally. I have no idea what caused the problem.

12. Erwin

Erwin Racer

I had a couple of rejected downshifts in the Exos S1 during hard braking, so I started exploring the downshift protection system a bit. I set the button debounce to 0 ms, and did runs where I braked hard and pressed the downshift button repeatedly as fast as possible. I also tested downshift during coasting and on throttle. It all seems fine, I got into high RPMs and sometimes even got over rev.

Yet in normal racing conditions, it feels like I need to be on too low RPM to be able to reliably downshift, because if you get one rejection you'll miss the apex. But looking/listening to real life F1 onboards, they seem to shift at higher revs, sometimes illuminating all dash lights.

Interestingly, Article 9.8.3 of the F1 regulations says:
    If I get this correctly, it's allowed that the system delays a downshift a bit, and wait for a safe target RPM. I wonder if something like this is/could be simulated? So in case of a rejection, automatically try again after 50 ms. During rapid downshifting (in F1 maybe every 200 ms), a 50 ms delay seems significant as RPMs drop very rapidly.

13. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

You may need to te-read this. It says "engagement may only follow a new and seperate request made by the driver". That's the opposite of automatically trying again.

14. Erwin

Erwin Racer

Done, but what do they mean with the delay then?

15. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

That the system may not delay downshifts by more than 50ms.

Edit: Spelling

16. Erwin

Erwin Racer

So then this is indeed helping to avoid a rejection, right? Like, if it can't downshift now due to over-rev, then do it a little bit later. As if it tries again after a delay.

17. LilSki

LilSki Alien

The way I read it is like Gevatter reads it. If you miss a shift due to protection you are essentially locked out of trying again until a max of 50ms. There is no auto retry.

18. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

It does not try again, but let me try again ;) It either means the system may not take longer than 50ms to judge if a downshift will overrev the engine, thereby delaying any downshift no more than 50ms, or it means it may not lock the driver out from trying again for more than 50ms as @LilSki wrote.

19. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

yeah that's the way I would read it too, if it thinks that in 50ms time the revs would be safe to engage the gear then it must do it before then else cancel it and wait for new request from the driver