1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Planning a new system

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Skybird, Aug 26, 2017.

1. luxxx797

luxxx797 Simracer

you're are right.....but did you read Skibird's post? only SO on the SSD....let's say 30GB used and 200GB free!??!?!?

2. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Yeah, can't buy a high performance M.2 drive that's 120 anyway. And having spare space is never a bad thing. I have Win10 installed on an old 120 with all the games on a different ssd and it's a pain. Never more then 10GB free on the drive. Remember that if you sync an iPhone it will backup all that data to C by default. There's heaps of stuff that uses space that's out of your control as well. And small random things add up quick. Some stuff in documents, some in pictures and a bit on your desktop plus a windows update or two and suddenly you are getting out of space issues.

3. luxxx797

luxxx797 Simracer

Same here....but why it's a pain?

4. Skybird

Skybird Alien

No, I want >not< my games on it. SSD for the OS, simulations on a second HD (or SSD). Bot not both on one drive.

And synchronising my phone with PC is no concern for me too, (becausei it got mentioned above). I do not do such things. My smartphone is a camera and navigator almost exclusively, I do not surf and almost never telephone with it and certainly have not any personal data stored on it at all. If the camera and navigation software (Osmand) wouldn't be this incredibly good, I would not even have a smartphone. ;)

5. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Indeed, where is the pain in splitting OS and software on two drives? Under W7, its no problem. Do I need to expect troubles under W10? Can the My Documents/Videos/Pictures folders not reliably be migrated to another drive than the one Windows is installed on? In Windows 7 this was possible, no problem.

6. luxxx797

luxxx797 Simracer

i have 1 SSD for OS and some small software, 1 SSD for games, 1 HDD for storage, software, others games and Windows quick access folders(My documents, video pictures etc.)...never had an issue

7. Serge M

Serge M Alien

The argument is kind of pointless as neither Samsung or WD Blue 3D NANAD are made in sizes smaller then 250GB. Would not advise installing games on a mechanical drive, kind of defeats some of the point doesn't it?
    My ideal set up would be one fast m.2 SSD for OS and general apps (office and such) ones big SSD (1Tb) for game installs and a seperate NAS for file storage

Currently I run a 120GB OS SSD an old 256GB SSD for same games and a 480GB SSD for some other games and photos. 7TB NAS holds the rest of the data. Intend to use the 480GB SSD for OS soon though and get a 1TB drive for the games. I work on large amounts of photos sometimes so need a bit of fast storage to help there

Another thing is Oculus for instance cached the stuff watched in vr on the C drive, that took heaps of space. There's heaps of stuff that will want to cache to temp locations so having free space is always good

8. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

I have a 500 G SSD and use it for Win and Steam. The computer has been returned for service twice and I've got the C: drive wiped both times, losing my saves and progress in many games. Don't know if there's an issue with the SSD but the techs said both times that Win10 failed to start and needed reinstalling. I've read advice to never use disk optimizing software on the SSD since it handles that by itself so that is turned off.
    I wish I could make Steam save game saves to the D: where my games get installed nowadays. I keep saving copies manually to avoid this in future though.
    (fortunately I had a auto backup of my ETS2 progress so I lost only 2 months there.)

9. Serge M

Serge M Alien

That doesn't sound right at all, what's the SSD? Windows not booting would be more commonly caused by a bad windows update

10. luxxx797

luxxx797 Simracer

that is strange because W10(as in your specs) allows to repair or reinstall OS without deleting the personal files.....

11. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Can't the Occulus drivers and cache file locations installed/redirected to a non-OS-holding partition or drive?

12. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

@Serge M
    At least they didn't charge for the "service" since it still was under warranty.
    It is a Samsung SSD 750 EVO 500GB

13. Skybird

Skybird Alien

1 TB SSD M.2 - ~400-700 Euros

2 TB HD - ~70 Euro

Thats a factor up to 20 for the price per GB.

Only to have a game loading in 15 instead 40 seconds?

A two terabyte SSD M.2 would cost 1300-1400 Euros.

And when the SSD breaks or is at the end of its life cycle, you lose money. Plenty. In the past I used to reinstall Windows 7 once a year, and every second year I replaced the harddrive with a new one, prophylactically.

14. Skybird

Skybird Alien

What do people think about hybrid drives (Seagate FireCuda)?

15. Serge M

Serge M Alien

If a big enough ssd is not in the budget then the SSHD will be fine decent. The original ones were very average, the new ones have much better data cashing algorithms.

16. Skybird

Skybird Alien

It is, but I question the economic reasonability. By costs, bigger SSDs still run outside competition, they still cannot compete with HDs in the 1/2+ TB range. I have doubts on the gains I get in return for that lot money for a drive alone. And I rate any drive as an expandable, wearing-down item that sooner or later will and must be replaced.

17. Serge M

Serge M Alien

18. Skybird

Skybird Alien

The bang for the buck calculates >>>terribly<<<. And only in 280 and 480 GB - I would need three of four of the first or two of the latter, additional to the OS-drive. Thanks, but no, no go on this thing.

The shop I am with is offering 32 GB optanes - for 100 Euro. LOL

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  19. Skybird

Skybird Alien

It'll be one 250 GB SSD, and one 2 TB HD, thank you. Economic reason rules it, and I violate it already more than enough with that graphcis card and CPU. I must not add a third crime to the list of my offences. :)

20. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Finally, done! Order got placed today. 6-8 Days, they say.

Thanks for all your replies,l guys.

I probably have some more questions once I am vis-a-vis with W10 (pro). I already have prepared links to checklists that should help to teach W10 some basic manners at least. We will see. There needs to be a reasonable balance between time invested for that, and gains achieved. When two years ago that balance did not calculate well any more, I emergency-jumped and migrated to Linux. This time that is no option anymore, the software that will be used on this system, depends in Wndows as OS.

This is by far the most expensive system i ever bought. Its longevity better counts in minimum 7 years, technically. 7 years or more it must be, for that was what I got from my current system - and that costed less than half of this new one. Today, I was a sinner in luxury.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017