1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Planning a new system

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Skybird, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Skybird

Skybird Alien

What do description sof main board mean when differeing between "internal" and "external" USB ports? Do they mean the ports on the board on the backside of the PC, and ports build into the tower case that must be connected to the card, making use of possible board connectors or not? I am slightly irritated by this description.

Once I have decided on the CPU, I will be back with one or two questions on mainboard model choice, probabaly suggestions on the models I took into consideration.

2. unknwn

unknwn Alien

You shouldn't be biased against AMD. Ryzen will be an improvment over your 2500k@3.3GHz in both single threaaded and multithreaded tasks/games. Ryzen CPUs is a very good AMD comeback especially considering price/performance. If you don't have bottlenecks with current CPU in games you play you should be ok. You should research/think whether you are going to play particular games that will be single thread performance bottlenecked.

My 2600k@4.7GHz (5+ year old CPU) has similar single core performance as Ryzen 1700@4GHz (in fact my cpu is few points above Ryzen in Cinebench) and I already can't confortably play Squad, PUBG was running like a trash before multi core optimizations. Arma3 is also CPU starved in specific situations, adding some flight simulators in the mix that aren't really good at using many cores easily leans me towards Coffeelake CPUs or whatever comes afterwards (Ryzen 2 or Intel counterpart).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    xthenewkid likes this.
  3. unknwn

unknwn Alien

double post

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  4. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Eh - didn'T I...? ;) Half of my posting is about right this, I think. LOL.

In the end the decision will be whether or not I realyl want to go with VR. Empty Box just mnade a 30 minutes video on VR, and like so often what he says about the pros and cons, makes good sense. If I skip on VR, I do not need top notch CPU and GPU power. I f I want to tryx VR, I need to be sure I can keep frames above 90, no matter what. And Oculus does not benefit from HT CPUs so far, nor does the Hive. GPU and single CPU speed are what is needed, it seems.

5. unknwn

unknwn Alien

@Skybird
    To be fair I have read only last few posts about Ryzen vs Intel performance.:oops:

6. @Skybird have you narrowed your choices any? If so what are the front runners.

7. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I think the threads tells it.

The trend charts :) :

1. Wait & see the miracles of Coffeelake (or their absence)
    2. i7 7700K
    3. Ryzen 1700X
    4. some i5 or Ryzen 1600X

If VR becomes an abandoned desire of mine, skip 2nd and 3rd rank.

I really want to wait for Intel's 8th generation main players and see what they do, at what temperature, and whether or not they declare war on AMD or not. Could become christams or early next year - they also need to offer new mainboards.

A 1060, 1070 or 1080 GFX card, may be Ti or not. I tend for the Asus 1080 monster. Should give me reserves plenty and plenty.

16 GB DDR4 RAM. Dont know what I would need 32 for. How fast should it be? 2666? 3000?

650W PSU, if maximum CPU and GPU get choosen. A solid one, no chepa no name. PSU is important, easy to overlook this.

1 small SSD (Win), 2TB HD, game, 1TB HD (Linux) Smasung for SSD, WD Red for HD.

Bequiet! Silence Base 800 tower, two ventilators in, one out. Silent and cool box, it seems.

Nocturna 15 or Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler, something in that range. Top range, that is. Temps are a worry with these chips.

8. Skybird

Skybird Alien

For that failure: one slap left to the face, one slap right to the face, and one kick into the family jewels!

:D

9. Suffer through the intro there is some valuable info and breakdown

10. Coanda

Coanda Alien

If its in your budget is go for larger ssd's for gaming & 1080 ti its such a sweet card

11. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Budget is no problem, I can afford whatever I want. But I do not like to headlessly waste money just because I have it. If I spend more, I want to now why I do it. To have a faster system drive is fine, so I picked that, considering that Windows is by far not as economic as Linux, but is overburdened with useless stuff that must not be loaded on start at all, but gets started nevertheless - but I do not care whether a simor game loads 15, 25 or 40 seconds before i can play, thus I choose the HD for games/sims. Is there any practical benefit in SSDs for simulations and games that goes beyond just loading times? Or for VR?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  12. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I take from that video that the differences between the i9 and i7 7700K are so small in gaming that they are irrelevant, while the i9 may be the better choice for productivity.

If you wanted to tell me something special with that video, I must admit I failed to get the message...?!

13. No message just trying to help

14. Coanda

Coanda Alien

"any practical benefit in SSDs for simulations and games that goes beyond just loading times? Or for VR?"

there maybe some benefit if you play open world games.. flight sims may have some benefit due to their large & complex maps

personally i would go a larger PSU. Gives you a little more freedom if you add additional hardware + o/c capabilities. i plugged your possible spec (7700k + 1080 ti) into outervision with a few different cpu clocks and it was in the 640-700w range

15. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Only if you go custom, not an issue with AIO radiators, CPU or GPU.
    PCPartsPicker has some sensible recommended builds for every budget and taste.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/
    You can pick one as is or just mod individual parts to your liking

If interested I put this one together for my new system, but temporary put it on back burner due to CoffeeLake announcement, just upgraded video card on current rig
    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/andrew_wot/saved/FbBQ7P

16. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Andrew, I would recommend to you to not use Win 10 Home, but Pro. I think Pro gives you the ability to delay these new mandatory updates by MS, that means you can trail behind the flock and must not download every broken driver, broken patch, broken whatever that MS releases so frequently these days and that cripple the functionaity of Win10 platforms so often for so many people. Delaying the upgrade by some weeks is possible, and recommendable. Microsoft messes too much around these days. Give the beta tester - all Win10 users, that is - some time to report all those broken things, and then give the massively reduced tech staff at MS' s Windows update team some time to hopefully sort it out.

Track back the entries here over the past couple of months, then you see what I mean. Beside the awful looks, there is a reason why I went Linux and why I hate Windows 10 although I do not even have it so far:

https://www.askwoody.com/

The audience there is mostly insiders and tech pros, IT and company admins, but that must not irritate you. It only means they know what they are talking of.

I live in Germany, so PCpartpicker is a bit too far away... :) We have equivalent shops in Germany, however, Mifcom as one example.

17. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Just to be sure I got that right: you think 650W still is not enough? I could go with 750 as well, yes, I am just surprised.

OC I do not really have on the agenda. Not if I do not need to unlock a few %'s of performance indeed. It means more Watts, more heat, slightly reduced longevity - only costs, but for what gain?

Its like decapping (if that is how it is called in English) the CPU - you do it if you see temps are bad, you do not do it if the temps are fine.

18. xthenewkid

xthenewkid Gamer

When you wait for Coffelake 7700K shouldn
    Im using a i5 3570k @ 4,5 GHz and a 1070 with a 500W psu.
    If you go for 1080ti + i7 a 650W should be enough. A 750 is only needed i you want to get a second GPU.

My dark rock 3 is laughing about my 4,5GHz CPU so that should be enough also. You can basically go for any CPU cooler in this proce range and you wont have any problems with temperatures, especially if you don't overclock up to 5GHz

19. Skybird

Skybird Alien

SLI or second GPU is not planned.

Intel recommends anyway to not overclock the 7700K, because of the heat problem. I read that repeatedly. You can, but you better should not. Thorttling down the CPU happens quite often. And some people do not even notice it. :)

20. xthenewkid

xthenewkid Gamer

I don't have any experience with the 7700k so that might be possible. But its baseclock is at 4,2/4,5 anyway so overclocking isnt really mandatory