1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Real GT3 consideration

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by nrc689, May 11, 2019.

1. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Hi to all, I would like to have your opinion on this. I've seen a lot of real onboard videos on youtube and I've noticed that pilots never turn cleanly. They make continuous micro-corrections. For example, if they have to turn right, they turn right-left-right-left very quickly. In a nutshell they never stop with the steering wheel. Instead we turn the steering wheel in a very clean and progressive way (except for some counter-steering shots). If I look at the real GT times at Monza, these are between 1.47 and 1.51, like us on ACC. I'm not a pilot and I've never driven a 500 hp car. Actually I would expect not to be able to do lap times like a real driver, but I should run on 1.55 / 1.56. So, do you think it's not too easy to drive for us simracer? In fact we are all (more or less) able to run on real times. On the other hand, I would have expected that a few very good simracers could reach the real lap times. Warning! I want to clarify that it is not a criticism of ACC (which I love) but only a consideration. What do you think?

LucaBenj, cr4wl3r0 and Kris1982 like this.

2. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Those microcorrections happening in very fast laps in real life are missing from every single sim on the market. I'm not sure why.

3. Arpadian

Arpadian Racer

i do that a lot while qualy and racing on ACC, even more since kunos took off LookWithwheel

4. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

The very fast guys still don't do it

5. Arpadian

Arpadian Racer

mouse steering here and doin 1.47.800 on nonza, dunno how they drive but i need micro corrections in the steering to get a good line and a good exit from any apex

6. cr4wl3r0

cr4wl3r0 Racer

This is really a very interesting question and Devs POV would be very welcome.
    Regarding laptimes I think the sim driver has a big advantage because there' is no risk to have physical consequences in case of mistakes.......... so it's easier to push ......

LucaBenj likes this.
  7. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

You have to see 1.47 in monza real and 1.47 by simracer and see the very very big difference in steering wheel.

8. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

You are right but what about drive techniques? They should be much more advanced.

9. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

Even though ACC has dynamic road surface and tyres model the real world surface grip varies every single cm and tyres have to deal with it too.This is one of the reason why in sim cars looks smooth even for fast times but that couldn't possibly happen IRL.

nrc689 and Tkeg like this.
  10. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

Because it is not real

To the rest
    Until the SIM world can 100% accurately portray the real world this is as it is. Micro corrections as this is what the OP stated, is the correcting the reality of the car sway, dive, over, understeer. It is the absolute feel of the car twist, roll, sway, tires, brakes to steering feel. I do correct, I do feel the car "Mentally via FFB" and correct.

SimGuy_1 likes this.
  11. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Also I happen to do micro-corrections (for example at T11 exit in monza) this is because the car tends to slip the rear and making R-L-R-L you avoid it turning in 360. But they do it continuously in an impressive way. I also thought they have zero TC. But if I can do 1.48 in Monza is "just my illusion".

12. hunt3r972

hunt3r972 Rookie

If you drive aggressive you'll have to do it. Specialy if your TC is low/disabled (in my opinion). Sometimes I have that wheel "shake" sometimes I haven't. Same on F1 2018.

13. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

You can see very well what I mean here for example ...

Deyu and Soldier_003 like this.
  14. LucaBenj

LucaBenj Racer

Increase the gain of the Fb, the gain of the surface and lower the values of TC, and you will see how micro and macro corrections and movements you will have to perform to maintain the desired trajectory. Certainly depends on which steering wheel you use. With a G29, for example, I don't think we can have much.

Setting this driving mode very realistic and immersive is often harmful if you are looking for lap time. Moreover and above all you don't want to exhaust your energies during a very long competition. If we say that many are considered aliens only because they give themselves the great advantage of running from the hood, and I don't, many people only have the trick to minimize the disturbances deriving from the simulation.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    nrc689 likes this.
  15. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Thanks very interesting.

16. I know a handful of aliens and none of them use hood view to be fast, so no, I wouldn't say that.
    -------------
    My theory on the OP:
    A real car on a real road driven anywhere near the limit has many more forces affecting the sterring rack/wheel than any consumer sim is able to reproduce. Things such as:
    Air currents constantly buffeting the car from multiple directions and speeds
    Tarmac with texture details 10x or greater than even the most detailed laser scan; with temperatures and humidity factors constantly changing in real time
    Vibrations in the chassis, engine, transmission, suspension in multiple frequencies
    Tires whose adhesion levels is still a very real 'black art' even to the professionals who have spent a lifetime studying and building them

Even though our consumer (and likely even professional) sims, and sim hardware, are closer than ever to replicating real life, we are still as far away from the real thing as a treadmill is to an actual marathon.

mr Switchblade, Luca Zari and nrc689 like this.
  17. esox71

esox71 Alien

Alien I race with uses hood view.

18. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Aliens will use whatever view they want. They're aliens because they spent years learning how to drive fast, not because of the camera they use.

Redoxs likes this.
  19. Serge M

Serge M Alien

That’s one hell of a race start!
    Those micro corrections look to be mostly caused by the car bouncing on the track over bumps and rough spots, I would say if you had a good motion rig you would have the same. As most are using static setups you don’t have the bouncing and subsequent hand movement/corrections

20. The aliens I know have been fast all the years I've known them. They are crazy quick in whatever car/track combo of whatever game/sim we downloaded straight out the gate, and then proceed to shave the final tenths off with setup changes and repetition of laps. None of them spent years learning to be fast, it just came natural. They do spend days shaving that last half second away though.

On the other hand, I have spent years trying to become fast. I've managed to shave a few seconds off my average pace, but I'm still several seconds away from their first laps. Maddening it is.