1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Real GT3 consideration

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by nrc689, May 11, 2019.

1. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Perhaps you're right, I don't know, but my point is: People keep trying to find simple reasons why fast drivers are fast, I've seen people on the forum talking about turning off the Force Feedback, using camera angles outside the cockpit and so on that just have nothing to do with their speed.

Michael Hornbuckle likes this.
  2. Turning FFB off, or very close to off, does work on the oval side at iracing, but yeah, excuses/reasons flow like a river when it comes to simracers justifying why somebody is faster than them.

3. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Not to mention setups...

4. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

First of all thanks to all for your interesting opinion in this thread. Unfortunately is difficult for me to have a complex discussion in english. What i mean is that i saw real driver did a very hard work to do a lap time (ex. 1.49 in monza) expecially with steering wheel. But if you seating in front of pc (as you said wheel setting... camera view....) and you drove in real life only from home to the market, you can have a good lap time in one week. Of course if you want the best (personally i can't do 1.47 in monza) you have to drive for years. And is clear that someone has a real talent. But the question was: is this too easy for us? I want try to feel more surface as suggest to me in this thread.

5. If you want to feel more surface than buy a DD wheel and turn the gain way up.

6. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

One thing is for sure: less unnecessary steering wheel movement, better for the tires which consecutively means faster laptime, no doubt about it.
    Very much depends on the car, its setup and the driver too (the most I would say). The "problem" IRL racing is that the weather and tarmac conditions and the tires on the car are constantly changing, which in sim are still far from there (developers are getting closer and closer, but in details, are still quite far off).
    Btw, M. Schumacher was well known to be one of the smoothest driver in F1 ever.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  7. LeiF

LeiF Alien

I had a dream last night that I was trying to demonstrate to somebody on my sim rig how it is possible to drive in a sim using the micro corrections style. I blame this thread, thanks guys :p

Although I was unable to demonstrate it correctly in the dream, stupid brain lol

There have been times where I have ended up driving like that in various cars in AC but only when I have been really comfortable in the car and allowed the subconscious to take control, then after a while I look down and discover I am operating the wheel like some sort of maniac and start taking large chunks of time out of my PB.

Concentrating on trying to drive like that just doesn’t work, it has to be the result of reacting to the car in a lightning fast manner which for me only works when I am on autopilot/ some may refer to this as being in “the zone”.

Ace Pumpkin and chksix like this.
  8. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

An old F1 driver (Mario Andretti) said: "
    if you have everything under control it means that you are not going fast enough"
    EDIT: sometimes i feel like this... i drive too smoothly (smooth? smoothing?)

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  9. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

Who was saying anything of having everything under control? :p

10. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

I respectfully disagree that microsteering corrections lack from sims. Not just ACC but other sims too. I also respectfully disagree that all real life drivers do microsteering corrections. Some of them are incredibly smooth. It's in the driver's style and also car handling.

That said, here some argumentation to my above points.
    Real life cars brake at around 1.8g longitudinal and turn at around 1.5-1.6g lateral. They can get over 2g vertical peak forces from bumps, kerbs, jumps.
    This means for example that while an average male that weights 80kg would have an arm that weights around 5kg, if you have to raise your arm to 90 degrees turn, your arm will weight more than double that while you pass over a kerb or bump, it will have to overcome a 10-15nm torque from the wheel, while also fighting a 1.5g lateral force... All of those forces are peaks that continuously vary in the millisecond range. All of this happen on a car that doesn't have the perfect setup, the driver has like 30 minutes total time on each track (before the race) and can't afford a loss of control at any time.

Here's a simple experiment. For the ones of you that have direct drive steering wheels, crank the force up. Not just to a realistic torque that a real car would give, but more than that, in order to simulate the extra g forces. If you also have motion platforms, crank those up too... See if your driving style starts to change with more micro-corrections. ;)

Finally, I'm personally happy to report that both aliens and real drivers, were very similar in their driving styles in all the events we brought the simulators in the blancpain races. Some would be more smooth than others and vice versa.
    Considering that from one side you have reality with infinite precision and... well... reality, and from the other you have a software with consumer steering wheels... I'd say nowadays simulators are doing some amazing things.

cr4wl3r0, vanveen, rikirk and 15 others like this.
  11. tow

tow Racer

You can easily driving fast because you are sit on the chair with totally no massive vibration and force like real car.

mr Switchblade, Psit and D.Jankovic like this.
  12. Serge M

Serge M Alien

This exactly, I have been saying this for years now. Have seen so many people setting their wheels up light because “cars have power steering” then go through corners like T12 (Pouhon) at Spa holding the wheel with one finger while driving the F1 cars at Spa in AC, your arm weight at peak there is something like 25KG, lol.

A question though, if simulating the forces of steering in a GT3 car then, are we looking at 22.5NM peak on the wheel?

13. LucaBenj

LucaBenj Racer

Personally, I don't consider myself an alien. I give you an example that concerns me, for my direct experience. Let's take the combination Huaracan @ Monza in optimal conditions. Driving from the inside of the cockpit I ride at my best, with a basic aggressive setup, at 1.47.4. Driving on the hood, I have to get used in a couple of days, I also realize 1.46.3. But I admit that others do not need this stratagem to reach the same times: they arrive there anyway even driving from the inside. I could also generalize that I personally take advantage of any game simulator running from the hood. So I just wanted to say that it's more than natural that such a thing to drive from the bonnet brings a huge advantage. My reply to those who opened this discussion was not to denigrate someone or because for some unconscious reason I do not accept the existence of more capable people. It would be better if we stop reading between the lines and limit ourselves to reading only the lines of what is written.

nrc689 likes this.
  14. Aristotelis

I don't have a precise answer, I don't have the data here. Out of memory, I doubt the real GT3 steering wheel would generate more than 10-15Nm force.
    But on top of that you need to add lateral g forces and most importantly vertical g forces and they are all high peak, high variability, high frequence. That's the main problem really. In 2 tenths of a second you'll have your hand working against 0-37-(-6)-14-21-33-(-11) and whatever other Nm value you can immagine...

Mai_88 and Serge M like this.
  15. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Hi @Aristotelis, I am happy with your intervention. As I said at the beginning mine was absolutely not meant to be a criticism. I love talking about these things with other simracers. I have been for years a great "devourer" of sim (already since 1999 with Netkar) but currently I only have ACC. I know that ACC is based on rigorous telemetric data but I myself have noticed that I made the best laps in the race when i'm under pressure , driving much more "dirty". For example using much more curbs, steering, and even micro-spin. The clean driving makes me less fast. And so I was wondering if our drive wasn't too clean compared to many real onboard videos.

16. Aristotelis

Personally I think the truth is somewhere between.
    In reality you can't be as smooth as you wish, because of so many small reasons.
    In sims some of the "noise" of reality gets lost in compromised physics refresh rate, (I can assure you any AC title is more alive at 1000hz so to say), compromised usb signals to the hardware, compromised hardware.
    So yes in the end in sims you tend to be more smooth than in reality (driver and car equal). But if the simulation also extends to steering wheel forces, then the gap is closer than what we see on some YT videos.

17. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

How fast is the refresh rate in ACC as it is now?.

18. Aristotelis

19. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

1 Update every 3 miliseconds is pretty fast, nice to hear that. Most probably the steering wheel and pedals can't even update position as fast as that.

20. pons

pons Simracer

I smell a new slider in the FFB-Options :p

chksix likes this.