1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Step by Step Dedicated Server Setup for multiplayer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Digital Aura, May 10, 2014.

1. fnugen

fnugen Rookie

Yes. In my port forwarding area, there is a spot to put the IP. I tried several. Some give me the warning that it is outside the LAN or WAN stipulation, or whatever word it used. Basically, I have tried UDP 9600, TCP 80 and IP 192.168.0.10 or variations of that address. I tried the actual IP address of the PC as stated by the router itself, and it did not work. I tried using "whatsmyip" and it won't let me use that address. I am really stumped as to what address will make this work then. I have 4 PCs running through the router, 2 have AC on them. I tried both of these addresses in the port forwarding thinking maybe I can't use the same system to run the game and server. I tried both unchecking and checking UPnP as well. I can't find anywhere where I can turn anything to do NAT (onmy router) as other suggestions go. Just gets so damned frustrating having so much trouble doing what should be so simple by this time in sim gaming.

2. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

you need to use the IP address of the computer that runs the server, when you type "ipconfig" in a cmd.exe window, or what your router says is the IP address of that computer. (they should match, in any case)

It will be something like 192.168.x.x

3. fnugen

fnugen Rookie

I tried that one as well. I tried 2 different IP addresses. I would get the error message no matter which one. I also tried configuring my ports through the 2 different PCs. Tried both IP addresses on both, reboot router and would get the error. This is why it is frustrating me. I am doing everything right. I have like 192.168.0.170 or similar. Put that in.........nothing. Try the other PC address........nothing. I even have the choice to "import" the address as it's all right there under the computer drop down in port forwarding. I mean, how simple is that?!? Still, that damned error message comes up when I run the server app.

I am on the PC that is set up in port forwarding right now. The IP address of this PC is in the correct spot, and the 2 ports are also set. I try the dedi server app, error message until 6th attempt. Is there anything in a Dlink router that might be stopping this from working? I know I can set up GT Legends and GTR2 servers and they work..........so why not this one?

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. tekk

tekk Rookie

Anyone familiar with the NETGEAR Router? I need help.

Edit: I figured it out.

5. tekk

tekk Rookie

Port Forwarding for NETGEAR Router Users:

1) Login to the router locally (by directing your browser to 192.168.1.1) and sign in.
    2) Click the "Advanced" Tab > Advanced Setup > Port Forwarding/Port Triggering
    3) Click "Add Custom Service"
    4)
    Service Name - Assetto Corsa
    Service Type - TCP/UDP
    External Starting Port - 9600
    External Ending Port - 9600
    Check "Use the Same port range for Internal Port"
    Internal IP address - enter your computer's IP Address, it should be displayed below "from currently attached devices"
    5) Click "Apply"

Repeat the steps one more time but for External Starting/Ending Ports type in - 80

In the end it should look like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6) Your ports are now opened for server hosting from your computer.

For in-game server setup in Assetto Corsa navigate to:

Computer>OS>Program Files (x86)>Steam>SteamApps>Common>assettocorsa>acServerLauncher

On the bottom make sure the UDP Port is 9600 and HTTP Port is 80.
    Select the Cars/Track/Time of Day/Max players/Custom Sessions and finally name your Server, Click Launch.

Find your server in the game and enjoy!

Cote Dazur likes this.
  6. RelapseUK

RelapseUK Racer

OK. Here are some basic lessons in IP v4 NAT networking so that you can understand what is needed a little more clearly. Most of which I will do my best to put into layman's terms.

There are 2 different types of IP addresses:

Public - This is the IP assigned to you by your ISP and the the IP that the world can see.
    Private - This is the IP that is assigned to your PC / Other devices.

Some Phrases to understand.

WAN or Wide Area Network - This is the internet facing side of your router
    LAN or Local Area Network - This is the internal facing side of your Router
    UDP - Universal Datagram Protocol. This is a limited protocol that establishes connections
    TCP - Transport Control Protocol. This is a wide suite of controls including data transmission
    Port - A gateway that allows traffic in and out of a network
    DHCP vs STATICALLY assigned IP addresses - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is a system used to catalogue and assign IP addresses within a network. Statically assigning an IP addresses means that the Use of DHCP isn't required.
    Subnet - The addresses within a certain range of IPs
    Default Gateway - The IP assigned to the LAN side of your router that will allow communication to and from the router

Understanding NAT.

NAT or Network Address Traversal is method used by your router to connect your WAN IP communications to your LAN and vice versa. Your network devices inside you network all require IP address. If NAT was not used then your ISP would need to offer IP addresses from it's pool for every device you want to connect to the internet. So to combat this you yet assigned one assigned IP address from you ISP and then your router assigns IP addresses from it's internal DHCP server.

This means that you can have many devices on your LAN, all with their own IP without the need to contact your ISP. NAT then acts as a bridge to allow comms between your LAN and WAN interfaces.

The 192.168.x.x Range is the most common Subnet used in domestic routers. This and 10.x.x.x Ranges are commonly associated with internal IP ranges and for reasons that are too complicated to go into these ranges should be adhered to. Your router could also use any subnet in the 192.168.x range 192.168.1.x, 192.168.10.x in fact anything between 1 and 254

Let us use 192.198.0.x as an IP range used by our router. The 192.168.0 part of the IP is our subnet and the x is identifier that is assigned to our device. Incidentally 192.168.0.1 would usually be assigned to your router and is known as your Default Gateway.

NAT firewall and Port Forwarding. This is used by your router to control what ports, protocols and communications will be allowed to flow from your WAN to your LAN and vice versa. By default all communications from your LAN to the internet are allowed (More sophisticated routers this is not normally the case). However incoming traffic will only be accepted if the device on your LAN initiated the connection in the first place. So if I browse the internet on port 80 on my tablet with IP 192.168.0.5 then all returning traffic for the page will arrive at my tablet and NAT makes this happen. Otherwise, all traffic on the entire internet would have the ability to contact any device on my network, this is obviously bad.
    So in order for AC players to connect to the server you setup on your LAN, the router needs to know where to send the traffic for the ports that those clients are requesting. Hence port forwarding.

The AC server is listening for connections on UDP port 9600 This establishes a connection with the client and Port 80 which is used to send the game data between clients and the server. These are the default ports and can be changed in your server_cfg.ini.

So your AC server has been assigned an IP of 192.168.10 by your router. You now need to tell your router how to route these ports to your IP. Port Forwarding is the most common term used for this feature but it may be called something else by your routers manufacturer.

So the principal will be the same whatever router you use and depends on rules. Each rule is for each protocol and port you are setting up.

Name - Give this rule a name
    From - What external ip should I allow this rule for? Leaving it blank usually means from any IP.
    Port - what port does this rule apply to? 9600
    Protocol - UDP/TCP/Both? We need UDP to be the protocol but we could set to both UDP and TCP. However this can open a vulnerability.
    IP - what LAN IP should the rule forward this protocol traffic? In this example it will be 192.168.0.10
    Port - What port is this device listening for this communication on? 9600.

Create another rule for TCP port 80.

As windows has its own firewall built in.you may need to create inbound and outbound rules for both ports also.

I hope this helps you understand what is going on in your router and how the traffic is managed.​

Michael Hornbuckle likes this.
  7. baristabrian

baristabrian Gamer

Thanks but my UI is a bit different than that one... Mine has a line that requires a port "range". I have looked and can not find what port ranges AC uses.

8. RelapseUK

RelapseUK Racer

Port range will start at 9600 and end at 9600. Same for 80

Some routers use ranging for rule management efficiency. If an application requires specific ranges of ports opened eg 9600-9610 ranges open all ten ports with 1 rule instead of ten individual rules for each port.

So to just open 1 port you need the start and stop to be the same ;)

9. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I set my ports to 9601 and 9602 (instead of 9600 and 80). That's what got it working for me. Don't forget to forward those too. I also used my ip located in ipconfig.
    ~Bailey

10. baristabrian

baristabrian Gamer

Ive done all above and I thought it was going well as my server now shows in the list but....every few sec it displays the message "unable to connect to Barista Motorsports" I did see something in my roouter that said port 80 was used by the routers HTTP UI so setting something else to it would cause a conflict maybe? So the question is: Does the AC TCP port HAVE to be 80?

11. RelapseUK

RelapseUK Racer

Use anything you like as long as the router and the Ini match. 8080 is good for eg

12. Any word on this? How does one setup a server on a separate windows machine - is steam required? Can I just copy some files to it and run that way? I don't want to buy the game a second time on another steam account or so :)

13. Bailey

Bailey Alien

No. Mine worked with 9602 or something similar. It DID NOT WORK WITH THE SUGGESTED 80.
    ~Bailey

14. RelapseUK

RelapseUK Racer

15. Thank you kind sir :)

EDIT: If anyone is bored - try to connect to my server - "SoupNazi's F1" ... I'm inside the firewall and cannot seem to connect to it (if anyone knows how to solve that - that would be great) ... wondering if it is working to the outside world (should be).

EDIT 2: Looks like some dude got in.

I can't connect to it even after redirecting the connection on my gaming PC to my server at the firewall. I do now get a ping response and can see what mode its in, but can't connect. I suspect this is because the responses from the server are coming from my interior IP rather than my exterior IP which my client doesn't expect. rFactor2 solved this by letting you connect directly to an IP address. Is something like that possible in AC somehow? I don't see an option for it.

16. I get an error for "invalid server" here's my settings and such;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Bailey

Bailey Alien

Can you set that drop down menu to Both, instead of UDP or TCP?
    ~Bailey

18. I tried, still got the same error

19. Just a thought, but I notice that you are forwarding to 192.168.38.1 ... is .1 the IP of the computer that you are running the server on, or the LAN ip of the router? I'm guessing the latter, but i'm just guessing. That IP setting needs to be the IP of your computer. If I'm wrong - sorry :)

20. Bailey

Bailey Alien

Set them to both. Open ports 9601 to 9602.
    UDP Port 9601
    HTTP Port 9602
    try that.
    ~Bailey

If I remember correctly, that should be correct. An easy way to find your (venturexgaming) ip is to run cmd.exe and type
    ipconfig
    I think it is the second line that is the ip that you are looking for.