1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The tyre version 5 thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by F430_458_F12, Oct 9, 2015.

1. GamerMuscle

GamerMuscle Hardcore Simmer

Its fine having the steering go limp after you have gone over the limit that's not an issue it lets you know you have pushed way to hard. The issue is no gradual lead into that to let you know how close you are getting to going all the way over the limit and sledging :)

2. ouvert

ouvert Alien

grip is physics related, isn`t it ..

agree .. today I was sliding/braking in wet (no ABS, powersteering) in real car and just as always, "no FFB" at all :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  3. GamerMuscle

As said, every setting has been tried on and off different values even absurd settings , sure you get a different feel and it conveys the FFB in different ways but no combination reintroduces the gradual load and feel of grip leading to loss of grip the game used to have.

4. unknwn

unknwn Alien

But there is no grip value that is suggested to be the right one to get real lap times. Even if we get realistic laptimes, it doesn't tell how we got them (e.g. faster at corners, too slow at straights).
    rF1 engine with accurate data was capable of reproducing very close to real telemetry data(cornering Gs, speeds, braking points) many years ago. However even if we get realistic laptimes it doesn't tell that handling at/over the limit is correct.

5. Epocx

Epocx Alien

how do you know the (real) car gives you a feeling in the streering that is gradual?
    the new tire squeel sounds are a great indicator for that though.

have you driven the sierra street mod?
    i do have to revisit that, though its not t5 yet it gave amazing feedback though the suspension.

6. GamerMuscle

Real cars often don't, noone said they did... It was just the case that it was in the game before and it was a real nice way to make up for the fact that simulators often don't give you much feel compared to the real thing.

In real life you can feel G's and load through your *** allowing you to adjust to the dynamic situations and feel out braking and feel how much grip you have well before you go over the limit and get in a slide.

Given that AC used to let you feel out grip when approaching and on the limit rather than rely on visuals without having to buy separate motion rig equipment Id argue that's something positive to at least have as an option with the simulator.

7. ouvert

ouvert Alien

nope but if you are able to achieve unrealistic lap times it could suggest it is not correct :) I`m naive and basing it on trusting that Kunos is trying to improve car behaviour, not intentionaly feed it with false data to make laptimes believable ...

8. arthur666

arthur666 Alien

Yes, I know that it is an extreme situation, and also doesn't detract from how well I can drive a car. My only problem is that it's a bit of an immersion-killer when my wheel goes light as a feather. The mass of the car and it's inertia are conveyed so well by the FFB that it's jarring when you lose it and your brain switches immediately from "I'm driving a car" to "I'm sitting in front of a screen with a toy wheel in my hands". Didn't know if there was a fix. Sounds like "no". But if it's the small price I must pay for a better suspension/tire model, so be it.

9. GamerMuscle

If you go totally over the limit in a real car it can go light and limp but obviously you have Gforces to help you still feel connected to the road, thing is if you have gotten the front end of the car to that state then you are effectively scrubbing the front end and are out of control or wasting lots of time regardless until some grip comes back.

That's why I'm more concerned with having FFB that allows you to avoid that situation from feel rather from sound and memorization of specific angles and car speeds :)

Be nice to have Kunos respond and let us know there position !

10. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

I think I amy know what GM is talking about and ill try to explain//

Take spa in a taatus the double left hander (double gauche) ive a few times over done it there and in the middle part have drifted wide onto and over the yellow and red strip. But the ffb has stayed flat, well not flat its pulling in the g of the corner , but I would expect there to be a buzz as I'm gradually losing traction and venturing off into the wall..

I think that's what gm is trying to describe.

or maybe not

11. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Before 1.3 laptimes were wrong in how you get them, even if you managed to get realistic time (too fast in corners).

I find that AC FFB in 1.3 improved a lot ( tighter and less springy giving more connection to the car). However I still can't be as confident as in rF2 where I get perfect feel of tires biting the tarmac. In AC it feels more "washed out" which means I have to practice more and drive more by what I have learned but not what I feel (tire wise). I am not in position to tell which is more realistic, however I am sure which is more informative (for my needs) to drive faster.
    :)

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  12. GamerMuscle

Not really that, though that might be affected as well.

Its when braking for any corner or any time you apply brake you could feel a corresponding FFB force or at least resistance that tied into how much grip you had remaining. This made it very intuitive to know if you could have in fact used the brakes later, it also communicated how much you could trail brake before you would begin to get into more of a disadvantageous slide.

With the current FFB in the game you can easily feel when you have gone over the limit, and with the slip effect you can easily feel the tires skipping and sliding. but crucaily there is not gradual conveyance of grip allowing you to know what you have left to play with before you get to the point of larger slides.

As said , in the old version of the game you could literally be going along a straight at 60mph with a tiny amount of steering angle and just tap the throttle and brake and you would feel the FFB tug left and right as the mass of the car moved around/the tires loaded up.

I suspect in making the suspension more realistic this has affected the degree to which the FFB can communicate aspects of the cars mass and grip levels.

13. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Or/and it could overall physics/balance changes. Since 1.2 you could literally spin out cars almost everywhere by just little trail braking, now you can't do that consequently FFB doesn't tell that you have huge back just about to loose, because there is no (overly) loose back (and the FFB is just a representative of physics). Does it make sense? :D

LeDude83 likes this.
  14. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

I just tred the lotus 91t forgetting that its on the old tyres, and honestly I thought my wheel had broke. The ffb is so dull, its soooo much better with v5. and anything miles stronger and detailed.!!

well done kunos.

15. arthur666

arthur666 Alien

True, from what I remember, (real car) steering does lighten when the front is plowing, but it doesn't feel like your steering wheel is suddenly disconnected. The car still has resistance in the steering mechanism. Oh well. Limits of a G27 I suppose.

MsportDAN likes this.
  16. ouvert

ouvert Alien

not sure what plowing means in nonagricultural context :) but on wet or slippier, without powersteering when you loose traction on front .. you feel Gs but you could just hold steering wheel detached from car in a front of you and pretend you are steering (last time experienced .. 12h and 10 minutes ago )

17. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Well, I really can't confirm your observations @GamerMuscle.
    To me 1.3 FFB is most informative in regards of available grip. I never felt that much feedback in AC before. I can now tell how much grip is left while breaking,or cornering. Must be that very subjective feeling, any FFB transports.
    I'm very happy with the latest alterations.
    Not saying there shouldn't be improvements if there actually is a FFB problem, just didn't felt it. :)

eXo, LeDude83 and Michael Hornbuckle like this.
  18. arthur666

arthur666 Alien

Yes. Last time I experienced it was on purpose in icy conditions last February. Only twice in dry conditions in 24 years, thankfully. Those times I was not really able to pay attention to much of anything except "Holy ****! I'm outta control!". :) Turning wheel won't change car's direction (or just barely) until traction is regained.

19. ouvert

ouvert Alien

yep but absolutelly no resistance, information in steering wheel ("no FFB") .. just snap and off you go to ABSing with your right foot :)

accually now when I have worn tyres, practically no silentblocks on back susp my old car feels a lot like car felt through FFB :) when you are on limit in fast turn and you slowly start understeering out of your line, it feels a lot like if you could tone down a bit enhanced understeer (it could use slider) in FFB in AC or like understeer in GTR Evo (if I remember it corectly) .. also floating in back feels similiar ...

arthur666 likes this.
  20. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Good point.