1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Tyre grip feedback via FFB - make it more informative

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by WallyM, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I'm kinda glad it's not, if it was a slider people would get into what to set it to for the 'most real' feedback instead of just understanding that at any setting it's faked.

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  2. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Having a slider for slip won't making me forget that it's a fake effect, so...

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

LeDude83 likes this.
  3. neimadmax

neimadmax Racer

i remember the ffb on beggining in AC... the feel on the wheel was amazing, today stills, but i miss those days

4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I know of a solution but, it's not without significant cost. :(

. . . it's called a Direct-drive wheel. :eek::D

When we increase the dynamic range and strength of the steering-system to higher levels, it naturally improves our sense of grip-loss and its one of the reasons why some people want a steering system capable of 30Nm of torque. With greater FFB strength comes increased steering resistance; the resistance gets progressively stronger as we increase lateral load on the tires and we sense the point where grip-loss begins to occur and the tire noise works in concert to help us determine and pinpoint optimal grip levels. The end result being that driving conditions that may feel as though we are driving on ice when using one FFB-wheel can now feel incredibly sticky with the exact same physics / car / tires; it's just that the amplification of the forces becomes far more obvious and the increased dynamic range of a DD-wheel provide far more contrast by which to judge what the car / tires are doing.

What I describe can be very difficult, maybe impossible to understand coming from using an average consumer steering system until one spends some time using a DD-wheel. In short, the key point to grasp is not the fact that the system is much more powerful alone; it's that the increased dynamic working range still allows us to control the wheel just fine while it also provides more detail and a broader range of forces / effects in more accurate and timely ways. Our brains register these force levels and effects much more effectively during hard cornering, especially when combined with corresponding audio cues / visual cues and it occurs a bit faster than without.

The by-product of increased steering resistance can also be useful in making very quick steering corrections through Self-Aligning-Torque. While few non-DD wheel users believe it, lap-times can be somewhat improved as a result of using DD-wheels but, not by as much as a good pedal set can. What DD-wheels definitely improve most is our ability to make corrections and that in turn, allow us to push a bit harder, make more saves, and be more consistent overall. The real performance benefit can be seen through improved race results more than in individual lap-times. Such wheels can also provide far more immersion - if that matters. :)

Such systems do not automatically transform a player into an "alien" Sim-racer but, they may get some of us just a lil' bit closer. :p:)

Luca Zari likes this.
  5. LOL at spending thousands of dollars (or even 'only' hundreds) on a wheel in the hopes it will make you faster.

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Leave it to you to focus on only one single aspect - LOL

Simplicity has it's advantages. ;)

liakjim likes this.
  7. There are plenty of reason to spend money on nice sim gear, but becoming an alien (or even getting closer to them) isn't one of them.

neimadmax likes this.
  8. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Sometimes "Aliens" have trouble recognizing themselves or lack self awareness. :p:D

9. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Lol at missing the point entirely.

10. WallyM

WallyM Alien

An update on my personal situation, after reading all the replies:
    • I have increased my FFB strength, because it makes the car feel like it has more weight, which somehow feels less slippery.
    • I have raised the percentage slip before the tyres squeal pretty high, to 170%, because hearing the tyres squeal any earlier makes my brain think the car is sliding more than it is.
    • I have enabled the enhanced understeer effect. I don't care if it's "right" or "wrong". I do like how it feels "different", when you lose traction - at least it's more information for my brain.
    Now to get used to it...

Luca Zari and Dean Ogurek like this.
  11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

It sounds like you are making the changes that work for you; nothing wrong with that at all. Of course, others may disagree . . . as always. ;)

WallyM likes this.
  12. JoeAC3

JoeAC3 Gamer

I calculated the correlations between front/rear tire grip (or slippage) and FFB. Yes, there are some correlations, the rear slip correlated with FFB as well but much smaller though. But it doesn't mean one can actually feel rear slip through FFB though. To actually physical feel the rear tires' slip, one has to have motion rig with rear traction loss, I posted a video to demonstrate that (see description in the video):

13. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I feel which axle slips more totally fine with my G27.
    If front, FFB getting weaker.
    If rear, FFB will pull to opposite lock.

14. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Very much my impression, too.

liakjim and Alistair McKinley like this.
  15. chakko

chakko Alien

Interestingly, 99% of the aliens drive the most expensive hardware there is available. Go figure.

But, of course, hardware won't be a replacement for skill, if that was your point.

16. Source?

LeDude83 likes this.
  17. chakko

chakko Alien

Just take a look around, brother.

Anyway, to prevent one of those stupid jerk arguments with you (which it undoubtfully will descend to), i will rephrase my statement to: "Most of the aliens drive the most expensive hardware there is available.". Even though i'd even expect an idiot to not ask for the source of your numbers when i say something like "99% of people on this earth are fools.".

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  18. You should go to the RSR webpage while it is still available and take a look at what the podium guys are using in the most popular combos.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  19. Stereo

Stereo Alien

99% use wheels, I've never seen any of them use "the most expensive hardware". Probably 50% G25/7/9s, 30% thrustmaster, 20% fanatec, <1% dd. I may be wrong about wheel percent though, in popular combos like GT2 @ Monza there are some x360 aliens in the top 10.

Luca Zari, Ace Pumpkin and LeDude83 like this.
  20. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

You stated a gut feeling as a straight fact, my dear fellow racer. That's a major problem in internet debates and I'm glad there's an "idiot" asking for the source of such a statement.

But I'd like Michael to play by its own rules, which he doesn't always do ;-)