1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

VR support in Assetto Corsa 2016

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Lawndart, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

Mehh... I wouldn't bother attempting to compare it like that... it's really not going to be the same.

2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Yeah, using a magnifying glass with your cell phone is probably a better representation - at least it can give some idea of pixels and screen-door effect; neither of these should be a major deterrent to trying VR IMO.:)

HoiHman and Rift Racer like this.
  3. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

I could afford VR soon, going to get some tax rebates. (Currently on 27" triples) But I'm really concerned about the image quality complaints seen here and other places.

If that's really how it looks like (on 980ti?)... no thanks. I'm already a sucker for AA and playing AC with 2x AA on my triples already takes massively away from the experience for me, I always use 4x AA and rather drop something else than AA or AF because I like the good draw distance and sharpness.

Is this because of limitations of CV1 or because of limitations of AC support for it? Does it look like PS2 game in all games? If so, might wait until CV2 and higher power GPUs.

4. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I didnt watch the clip but from what Ive picked up you can change something called 'pixel density' or similar. Since it was his first try he have probably missed that.

5. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Well, apparently most YouTube videos are captured from screen, and look nothing like the actual VR experience, which is more pixelated. Few seconds from that video was enough for me.. don't know if that is realistic representation of how it would look on my 980ti? But that looks appalling.

I believe upping this pixel density requires a lot more juice from GPU? Could I have some notable improvements into quality on 980ti, compared to that video?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  6. sirgaric

sirgaric Hardcore Simmer

The only thing I can tell you is that you need to try it yourself. A YouTube vídeo can't capture the feeling of "being there". This is what VR is about.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Dookie, Pulley, coret3x and 1 other person like this.
  7. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Yeah, I know it's about the 3D sensation that doesn't get communicated in YouTube. But would think it detracts a lot... like being immersed inside a huge 3D pixel mess. I need to look if there is some return policy, so I can order the thing and return it if it's not my cup of tea. Too expensive to make a blind purchase, and my friends don't have one either. Sadly no stores here allow testing it, afaik

8. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

you should be able to do 1.4 supersampling+2xaa+pp if you use ASW which looks good enough to me (and better than that video with pp off which looks like death)

4xaa would be awesome but not sure you can afford it with that card

if we got the nvidia SMP thing then i imagine we could get away with 4xaa and more SS, or go for 90fps instead, but the higher quality graphics settings wins for me easily

ShredatorFIN likes this.
  9. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

SMP would work only with Pascal cards? Well, will consider this. I contacted local Verkkokauppa.com and they said I can test the Rift for 30 days and return it if I'm not pleased with it. So I might actually try this.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  10. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

oh yes pascal only you are right. that is very good of them to let you do that!

11. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

Yes, that's more or less how it looks in the headset in terms of perceived resolution.

Some things it doesn't show:

1) Screen door effect - this further detracts from the image quality. You can visibly see the gaps between the pixels, creating a sort of 'screen' over the image. The Oculus CV1 isn't super bad with this and you'll usually stop noticing it once you're playing, but it's definitely there and could be better(PSVR is better with this, Vive a bit worse).

2) OLED qualities - aint no ordinary LCD's in there. You'll get vivid colors and great contrast. They dont go to pure black like on a 2d-displayed OLED, but fairly close.

3) 90hz - it's a smoother experience than the Youtube video can show.

4) Of course the depth that was already talked about. Pretty huge deal here. But also *scale*, which isn't mentioned often enough when talking about VR. Things look real-sized and it's amazing.

SMP also works with Maxwell cards. It was only advertised as 'for Pascal' because it was developed in time for release of Pascal, but the Maxwell architecture also has the necessary hardware.

I am not sure if Assetto Corsa uses this, but I dont think I've heard anything about it, which means it probably doesn't.

vegaguy 5555, Patrik Marek and MBK72 like this.
  12. Blamer

Blamer Hardcore Simmer

With my 1060 I'm preferring having 4x AA and 1.2/1.3 ppd (with PP ON), because AA makes A LOT of difference

Cote Dazur and ears1991 like this.
  13. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I really didn´t like the resolution at first, compared to my triples. It took me weeks to adjust and find acceptable settings, but even then better res is wanted. But, the immersion won me over at the end, and I haven´t raced on my triples for 5 months. I would probably still use my triples, if I raced several hours on daily basis, but for an hour or 2 here and there, the rift is perfect for me.

I run AFx16, AAx4, on a 970 but with ASW enabled. Pixel density at 1.4.

vegaguy 5555, MBK72, ZethGAF and 3 others like this.
  14. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

You guys can force 8x AA in video.ini if you have the graphics power to do so. :)
    C:\Users\*YourName*\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg
    AASAMPLES=8

15. darkdeus

darkdeus Racer

That video looks horrible because he turned off AA. It looks sooo much better than that! With my 1080 it looks quite clear at 2.0 pixel density and 4x AA. The interior of the car does not look pixely at all and even cars in front of me look great. In the far distance it's not too bad either. I can see upcoming turns even better than my monitor. High levels of AA remove the shimmer and flickering you see too.

16. MBK72

MBK72 Hardcore Simmer

The CV1 image quality for both AC and pCARS has increased noticeably in the last few months with various Rift, Nvidia and software updates. I noticed the difference from single 4k gaming initially but as others have said the level of immersion just blows that away. I feel like I'm sitting inside a full size version of the car and the interiors are now much clearer - on the same cars I still notice that the pCARS version is a tiny bit sharper especially on in car instruments but there isn't much in it at all.

The ability to glance left and right, look through the corners, see and feel the elevation on each track is really what makes VR special for me.

The illusion I enjoy most is the odd sensation around the size of the steering wheel. Even though I'm holding the same TX458 wheel in reality my brain seems to think I'm holding the wheel of the virtual car I'm in. The wheel on the Panamera Turbo feels the size and weight of a roadcar wheel, the race car wheels feel smaller. I know this is form form of optical illusion and the feedback weight of the wheel plays a part but it's good and it makes me chuckle everytime. Clearly this only works where the DOR matches the onscreen rotation which remains an issue on DiRT Rally as the wheel only really works properly at 270/360 DOR.

I think VR is something that just has to be tried. All I can tell you is that everyone who has tried our CV1 has been blown away. With AC iv VR people comment that it is just like driving a real car and I agree.

It's also worth trying on the PSVR if you get the chance, I thought it would be a bit rubbish given the PS4 hardware it is running on compared to the Rift on pc. I was truly amazed at how good it is, DriveClub VR is stunning, higher quality in game than the video posted above, and the cockpit games like Battlezone and the CoD IW space demo are jaw dropping. PSVR offers 90% of the Rift quality for less than the price of a decent pc graphics card to run it.

17. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

I think people try to imagine the wrong way. Don't think of your monitor & how that might be compare, think about reality with ****ty graphics.

18. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

I think I'm getting rift for christmas :)
    as other said, the immersion is whole another level

I remember - when I didn't have the greatest GPU - I was playing games in smaller resolution then my monitor was capable of, just to get more FPS, and I didn't mind that it wasn't all that sharp, as long as it was smooth!
    so the resolution/quality isn't that much of a concern to me

the really annoying thing is that I don't have my steering wheel with me in Canada, .. and I really wonder how the experience will work if I drive on gamepad, but see steering wheel in front of me ...

MBK72 likes this.
  19. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

Just out of curiosity did you compare the image quality between having post processing on normal, AA 2x and pixel density at 1.6 vs. PP off, 4xAA and 2.0 pixel density?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

20. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

Did anyone notice a graphics bug in VR concerning some kind of flickering trackside-barriers (perhaps Moiré-effect?)?

Edit: BTW, why do I see only P1 (Porsche Pack 1) in my own signature whereas other signatures also show P2 and P3 although I bought season pass?