1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

VR support in Assetto Corsa 2016

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Lawndart, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

Hi Kunos,

I just received a few Vive kits in the office last week. I wanted to ask if you guys have tried one yet and if you have some basic instructions on how to set up AC since both Oculus and Vive support Open VR.

If not, will 1.5 have further support for VR that someone might be able to mod in the interests of using other headsets?

We'll also have a few Sony VR kits after GDC (they are all being used at GDC) and I'm curious if AC on PS4 has any plans to support it... Hint... It would be one hell of a USP :)

Anyway, I'm asking over a public forum because VR is a very new thing for consumers and something that can't really be appreciated until one experiences it, but likely something people might like talking about and lead to some deeper topics here in the forum.

P.S. PM me if any of you will be at GDC

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa Evo Modding Support? Apr 4, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Is there still support for Assetto Corsa? Oct 9, 2022
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Sim Racing Telemetry - Support for Assetto Corsa will be available on November 3 Oct 26, 2021
    ACC General Discussions DLSS support for Assetto Corsa Competizione Aug 24, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Assetto Corsa Competizione - PS4 and XBox One: HOW TO GET SUPPORT Jun 23, 2020
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione - PS4, PS5 and XBox One/X/S - Console Version: HOW TO GET SUPPORT Jun 23, 2020
    ACC User Interface I wonder if the game "Assetto Corsa Competizione" released by XBOXONE ver support Korean subtitles. May 23, 2020
    ACC General Discussions POLL! Let's buy this game again every year to support Assetto Corsa guys! Jul 20, 2019
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Get rid of "Assetto Corsa does not support VR" message (OpenVR/SteamVR) Feb 15, 2018
    Suggestions Hope Assetto Corsa can support Chinese:) May 19, 2017
    Screens & Videos Video:v Assetto Corsa VR - What a time to be aVIVE! Finally OpenVR Support Mar 22, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa support for Ryzen processors Mar 5, 2017
    Suggestions Now that the PS4 Supports HDR - Can we get idea of when it will arrive for Assetto Corsa? Sep 16, 2016
    Console Lounge Assetto Corsa PS4 and Xbox One Support Info Aug 26, 2016
    Console Lounge Assetto Corsa PlayStation 4 and XBox One supported wheels Aug 19, 2016

3. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

Ah VR is nothing to get excited about. Even Nico Rosberg is trying it now.

I'm pretty sure it's a ripped Mercedes W07 though. Nico you should be ashamed of yourself. Mods, please ban him.

4. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

They've said it*(the oculus) will be supported hopefully before the first devices are on the heads of consumers. However they have also said not to expect much more 'support' than what we already have with the DK2 (i.e. I would imagine no menus, no ability to change setups etc.)

Nothing has ever been mentioned (as far as I'm aware) publicly about them supporting (or not) the Vive or PSVR.

esox71 likes this.
  5. esox71

esox71 Alien

You would think that steam being partly behind the vive, that all games on steam would support it sooner or later.

6. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

All that's really needed for AC is a simple menu system so key functions can be used before entering the sim, or even easier, mirror the screen without the parallax image. Once your driving, everything is great, and most functions can be done on the wheel... AC's arms are quite authentic in that they easily represent your own.

And make sure the scale is correct, the driver always tended to look a bit small... Otherwise I've used AC as a great showcase a year ago, but the DK2 is a bit dated now. No better than google cardboard or gear VR. The newer headsets are quite impressive.

Blamer likes this.
  7. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

I think it's just a case of the game devs making it work, hopefully SteamVR might give them tools to make it easier or maybe just a case of the SteamVR supporting games with rift support, so Vive will work with that kind of support.

Dated yes (can't believe I'm saying a VR headset is dated and theres not even a consumer been released yet lol), no better than cardboard or gear vr? Maybe for looking at 360 photos or that kind of stuff but for any type of gaming the DK2 is still top dog for now till we get our hands on CV1.

Always looked fine to me, seen others complain he was always too big too, suppose that's the thing with everyone being different sizes etc.

They certainly seem to be.... have you tried any of them? Even better if tried with any simracing stuff?

Gunja, ears1991 and Blamer like this.
  8. seco46

seco46 Hardcore Simmer

About PSVR, this is from one Spanish site:

"Un último punto a tratar con el jefe de Kunos y del juego, compatibilidad con Realidad Virtual de PS4. En ordenador Assetto Corsa funcionará con Oculus Rift y otras gafas, ya trabajan en ello. Por lo que la pregunta de si harán lo mismo para PlayStation VR en nuestra consola ya que tienen la experiencia del PC era obligada y nos interesa muchísimo, Assetto Corsa tiene cámara interior bastante inmersiva y que detalla muy bien los salpicaderos, guanteras, palancas de cambio, asientos de copiloto... Buenas noticias, Massarutto contaba que claro que PlayStation VR está entre los planes de su estudio. Probablemente no conseguirán que el título sea compatible ya en el lanzamiento, pero que al igual que otros juegos tienen en mente introducir la herramienta, como prometió The Creative Assembly con Alien Isolation, su juego también mirará a esta función para PS4 una vez terminen con la Realidad Virtual de ordenador."

http://www.laps4.com/avances/425928-assetto_corsa_realismo_hasta_gran_turismo.html

9. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

nice find, thats pretty cool and makes the ps4 version a lot more compelling

10. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

Yes, I started the thread. Cockpit based games are great, elite dangerous and AC are showcase VR games, especially when seated in a chassis with a very powerful PC.

Any game that supports Open VR "should" work accross different headsets.

In my personal opinion, the Vive is well worth the extra 200... And why I'm very curious what Kunos plans are to support it.

11. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

The Vive has extra hardware, but is that hardware relevant to cockpit based games?

The controllers will be in a cupboard, because you'll be using your steering wheel.

And youhave 360 degree tracking, which means if you want to you can get out of your cockpit and go for a walk. But that's not top of my requirements list.

So yes it has extra stuff for extra money, but I am grateful for the Oculus modular approach, giving me the option to buy the controllers if I want them. Which I don't.

12. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

agree the vive is not very compelling for simracing:
    • the headset is clearly rushed to market (by a company that has been slowly tanking) and looks the same as the dev kit which was still decent but clearly the rift has been slaved over and is a much more high-quality finish and polished design
    • included on ear headphones > IEMs... seriously who thought that was a good idea, yeah lets share earwax with the tens of people we are going to be demoing this awesome kit to.... o_O
    • simple webcam style camera on adjustable stand vs 2 basestations for which it isnt clear if you can just place it one your desk for seated experiences or still need to mount one or both onto a wall
    • optional hand controllers so those of us who will mostly be using wheels and joysticks dont need to spend £100< on something that we probably dont want, but may become compelling later down the line when more content for them is out.
    really struggle to believe that many people will do this whole walking around the room stuff, just seems like kinect but even more impractical unless you have a huge house with tons of free space, its cool but no one i know would be able to use it in their home without emptying the living room

does anyone know what benefit the oculus SDK provides for the oculus headset vs just using the steamvr SDK that supports rift? I remember palmer saying the closed SDK etc was for the purpose of preventing standards hindering innovation, but i dont recall any specifics as to what their SDK does that isnt available now in the steamvr one.

anyways more relevant to the topic: hopefully implementing one SDK makes the work required to do the other one a smaller task

GhettoRice, Mogster and ears like this.
  13. DeM69

DeM69 Racer

I've been without my DK2 since November:eek: & I haven't touched a racing sim since, luckily I ordered the CV1 within the first few minutes & should have it in a few weeks:cool:. I had intended to buy the Vive also but I don't think it's a finished product at all & expect it to be upgraded in a matter of months - I will wait. I want VR as a racing sim accessory above all so the Vive's controllers make no difference to me & things like the extra weight (+ the weight of my headphones) & clumsy looking cables etc are a big issue for me. As long as I can play LFS & AC in perfect VR I'm a happy bloke!.......VR Job Simulator......I mean......WTF!:rolleyes:

ears1991 likes this.
  14. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

Yeah for me this still doesn't quite sit right. So I can move around this virtual environment - but I can't actually touch anything - first of all because I already have a great big plastic door handle in each hand, but second because nothing can recreate the sensation of touch. Like you say - is this really much more than the Kinect? And it's much less sociable. Due to the headset, controllers and PC hardware requirements we're not exactly going to have the 'whole family' appeal that, say, the Wii had.

That's why a simple Rift lends itself so beautifully - uniquely so - to racing sims. There's both a real and virtual steering wheel, shifter, pedals. The real ones are represented in the virtual world. And most of the time it really tricks my brain. Those are my hands, in those gloves, on that steering wheel. And while it's sometimes nice to 'get out of the car' and have a look around, that's still novelty stuff. OK I'd be able to move around more freely with a Vive (if AC supported a Vive) but it's not integral to the racing experience and the immersion soon starts to diminish.

I'm still in the Rift camp.

Phil64, Rift Racer, Mogster and 2 others like this.
  15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Yeah, we already have controllers with haptic / tactile feedback that is far superior to any hand-controller. Paying the extra for the wands would be a waste for me once the novelty wore off (Maybe just minutes?). I can't tear myself away from playing Racing-Sim's as it is now and I don't see room-scale VR as being the thing that can change that.

I do think that Room-scale VR will be an amazing initial VR-experience for new-comers though. The level of "presence" should be very high indeed. The only place I want to be "present" is in the cockpit of a Race Car! :)

16. baloche

baloche sorry for my english

Hi guys !
    Do you think Gear VR could be a good alternative to occulus and co for AC ?
    It's not expensive at all (for the one who have a samsung smartphone).
    Would it be possible to play in good conditions ?

17. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

afraid not, its not intended to be used as a pc headset.
    the only possible way is methods like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/assettocorsa/comments/443c99/google_cardboard_head_tracking_vr_on_a_budget/
    you cant play AC in 3d on it unless you can get ac to work with vorpx or similar to create real stereo 3d.
    otherwise you can only do 2d (same image for both eye)

using gearvr requires an additional app to disable the gearvr service when you want to use a non gearvr app like in that guide, and you will need to re-enable it when you want to use the official gearvr content.

also unless you have some awesome wifi, you will HAVE to use usb connection, and unless my friends gearvr was faulty, the usb port on it wont work for this method, windows just saw it as unknown device rather than a usb tether.

TLDR, no :(

JoeMoore, Dean Ogurek and baloche like this.
  18. baloche

baloche sorry for my english

Thanks for the answer !
    I was thinking about taht , that it's not a PC device but i was not sure.
    So sad it's really cheap :(.

ears1991 likes this.
  19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

You'd get a better experience buying a used DK2 after the new HMD's arrive and the prices drop. You'd still need a capable PC though.

ears1991 likes this.
  20. pharacon

pharacon Racer

I think AC should support for SteamVR as both the rift and vive will be supported with that software. I would think that as software developers, unless someone drives up with a truckload of cash they would want to write the support code once and have it work on everything. Both the VIVE and Rift can be used as seated but only the VIVE can do room-scale, but Valve just announced that the room-scale boundary system has been written to support touch once it comes out.

The HMD's are really close to each other with only minor differences, the built in earphones for Rift, room scale for Vive. The room scale is really the killer app just looking at hover junkers and Budget cuts games. The built in head phones are a non item as I prefer my cans and the vive has a built in headphone jack on the hmd.

I have thrown my money into the VIVE side, but I still got my DK2 as well so i'm kinda prepared for both. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! SteamVR. :) or at least some sort of announcement that something is going on.

Effedieffe and Daniel Hansson like this.
  21. DAS-Problem

DAS-Problem Gamer

I really hope VIVE Support is coming soon to AC cause i pre-ordered one. I dont need any VIVE Controller Support, only the VIVE Headtracking, thats it, NO MAGIC needed. I think for a normal programmer it isnt that hard to implement it.
    Or just use OpenVR or SteamVR, Oculus could use it too...
    If VIVE Support isnt coming to AC than im really pi**ed, cause i support this Game/Sim from the beginning and i want to play it in the best possible way, thats VR. And i really hate Facebook!
    So if Kunos want me to buy any other DLC than the ones i have, better support the VIVE....