1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

VR support in Assetto Corsa 2016

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Lawndart, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

As I posted in the other VR thread: the wait for AC+VR+CV1 will be painfully long but, worth the wait! :)

BTW, LFS has 1.3 support now.

HoiHman likes this.
  2. gisen

gisen Gamer

Also rift users cannot play online with steam users in project cars again due to oculus' trying to segregate the pc market

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Yeah, that's a major issue for online players; just to clarify a bit, the issue is with MP between the Oculus Home version of Pcars vs. the Steam version of Pcars.

Aside from that, Pcars (Steam) runs excellent in VR using the DK2; I didn't encounter a single hiccup, no judder what-so-ever, just super smooth VR game play. I haven't tried a full field yet, about 15 AI in the rain at Nords was perfectly smooth though. The lighting, sun-flare, haze, crepuscular rays, shadows, etc., all work marvelously now - stunning in VR. :)
    SMS clearly invested a lot of effort into making VR work.

Let's hope Kunos is as successful one day with Assetto Corsa VR.:)

4. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

seriously read more than a headline before stating what you read as fact. if you do this you will discover that the cause of this situation is almost certainly because pcars uses steamworks api for MP, and that cant be tapped into by non steam games.

whilst i am completely de-hyped for oculus and will probably get a vive, the amount of circlejerking and preference for bashing over factual discsussion in the vive community is pretty depressing

check the top post (400 upvotes):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...ome_is_going_to_split_the_player_base/d1mbq9e

vs

the factual one (under 100 upvotes):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...ome_is_going_to_split_the_player_base/d1mgedt

its an unfortunate situation but pcars were willing to work with oculus to make a good VR experience, so of course they should release it on their own store and hope to get some money back from it (unlikely because of this situation, but its not pure evil like you state as fact), its simply the result of the design decisions of the game devs made a long time ago that means this is what happened.

ears and Dean Ogurek like this.
  5. gisen

gisen Gamer

The only thing stopping rift players playing with existing project cars players is oculus. Simple as.

6. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

WHAT?! how can you state that is fact without any proof, are you really a 34 year old adult or just a 12 year old vive fanboy?!

7. Lowkey

Lowkey Racer

You can do online with Elite Dangerous (Steam or Oculus Store) with even Vive players etc.

EDIT: Removed my slightly offensive comment.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    ears1991 likes this.
  8. guys last warning for both of you.. this kind of behavior is simply not acceptable.. walk away.

JO_DA_W.E.I.R.D. likes this.
  9. gisen

gisen Gamer

I'm sorry if my opinion offends anyone. What I meant is simply, as is explained in the thread ears 1991 refers to as "the factual one", oculus could allow project cars sold in their store to use /launch steamworks for the matchmaking etc (like steam allows for other stores content). Oculus made a decision not to allow that.
    Oculus also made a decision earlier to create their own store and fracture the vr community instead of working with valve on openvr.
    Sorry i didn't mean to cause a flame war.

10. Lowkey

Lowkey Racer

It's fine dude, MB for responding that way if you did read my initial post.

With Oculus claims, they don't want to use OpenVR because of lack of ATW (Asynchronous timewarp) and that they want to "ensure" a comfortable experience. Which is understandable toa certain degree but they are still being a bit too closed. Putting that side.

Also, I don't see how Pcars thing is Oculus fault. They are harming their own store by not allowing the online community to tap into the millions of people playing from another store. It's very stupid if done deliberately. Other games don't have this issue AFAIK but correct me if I'm wrong. I think what Pcars wanted to do - and these are all assumptions based on their behavior/posts, is try to sell a few extra copies by putting exclusivity to VR support to Oculus store. Hence why they said "Buy another copy if you want to support us" but then added VR support after a day (because they got hate for it).

But yes, ultimately the Oculus FB buyout means sell good hardware at cost, and aim to be a good place for Software on PC, and compete with all other STORES, not headsets. OpenVR would be nice but Steam wants Steamworks integration and Oculus are not interested in making an Oculus store game launch STEAM, whereas steam doesn't care if Oculus Store runs in the background (for the Runtime) as long as people still play and BUY things on Steam.

Sorry if my post was messy and terribly organised.

11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I read that Steam "Open VR" is not really open as in "Open Source"; the use of that name implies it is open-source but, it's actually not accurate. I too, read that Oculus insists on having ATW (Asynchronous Time Warp) implemented and there's no arguing that it seems to work very well so far.

At any rate, it's currently each side blaming the other for non-cooperation; it's "the Gods Must Be Crazy" scenario all over again!

12. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

Isn't this competition? Capitalism?

Steam, I am guessing, is highly profitable to Valve. Maybe some other people have come along - Ubisoft, EA, now Oculus / Facebook, and said 'oh hang on if we're making games, we don't want Valve to profit from our work, we'll open a store and see if we can keep the profit'.

I think Oculus could be more open about the multiplayer unavailability (I haven't looked, maybe they are) but their SDK is available openly. They're not splitting a comminity. You can choose where you buy Project CARS from, and therefore you can choose the community in which you play it.

Elite Dangerous is slightly different as they run their own servers, I believe, independently of Steam. So everyone who plays the game connects to the Frontier servers. It would appear that, in this case, Oculus are not stopping anyone from connecting to any servers.

13. Lowkey

Lowkey Racer

Spot on, yet there's less complaints on the Steam side of things because of some sort of OR support.

14. gisen

gisen Gamer

Explain to me how splitting a community in two is not splitting a community

15. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

Well splitting it in two implies a 50/50 split.

But as nobody in their right mind would buy it from Oculus, I don't think the community will be split. Certainly the existing community won't be. They already own it, they now have the 1.3 updates in the Steam version and can continue to play as they did before, with the same people they did before.

16. DAS-Problem

DAS-Problem Gamer

Guys, what i dont understand, are the reasons Kunos give, why there is no VR suppoet for the VIVE, or ever be.
    Like "we are a small Team..."
    The Team from Life4Speed is also a very small Team, and they support both Rift and VIVE...so...
    Ok they Port AC to the PS4. This is really a big thing, but why they can NOT make a Statement like
    "There will be VIVE Support at the latest by end of the year"...or so
    Many of us would just be lucky with a statemant like this. Maybe a bit sad not to play AC from the beginning, but this would stop the disappointment in not hearing anything...ok there is a "maybe" other VR Headsets then the Rift in the VR statemant from Kunos...but exactly this is very disappointing.

But Kunos arent the only one who do so i guess...R3E,iracing,pcars...all big players...and then there is Life4Speed...you get it?

BTW: how many developers does Facebook supported with there DK1´s and DK2´s...maybe 100?
    Oh i guess thats a big amount for a company like Facebook...lot of Muuuney...
    So i guess they all should be Thankfull and implement the Rift SDK primarily...and not make use of the OpenVR or SteamVR...so everyone could play...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  17. Quffy

Quffy Alien

They talked about it here: http://www.assettocorsa.net/assetto-corsa-v1-5-dev-diary-part-33/ (last paragraphs)

18. DAS-Problem

DAS-Problem Gamer

Thats exactly what i say...
    "Our aim is to support VR – and not necessarily only the Oculus Rift"...NOT NECESSARILY...
    Why they can not say...both!?!
    And when the NEW code is so complex and different from the first api, why they dont start from 0 and start with coding on the OpenVR or SteamVR code when the OpenVR is not as good as the Rift api...isnt the SteamVR api working for both, RIFT and VIVE?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  19. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

From what I read on another forum, SteamVR doesn't have asynchronous timewarp, which is the Oculus SDK feature that has got everything running smoothly in Elite Dangerous and Project CARS.

20. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

I tried to get some solid info on this situation but it's not easy. From what I read, even using openvr it should still be possible to also implement oculus SDK features such as ATW. We really need some dev who has experience on the matter to chime in as most people who talk about these things (myself included) have no real idea haha. I guess scawen of LFS would no but guess it wouldn't be in his best interests to help ac haha

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk