1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

VR support in Assetto Corsa 2016

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Lawndart, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Nice! but this not for 1.5, right? future updates I guess, right?

2. Max Veloce

Max Veloce Racer

That sounds great, but please please please make any quick menu user programmable for those of us with wheels without a dpad

thanks!

3. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

I spent a lot of time today reading reviews of the Oculus Rift now that it has been officially launched and reviewers are free to post about it having had advanced consumer units to try out for the last week or so.

One of the things I learned is that a significant amount of programming has to go into reducing the visual elements in the game that cause motion sickness. In particular it was reported that a lot of work was put into modifying PCars so that motions associated with car movements (road bumps etc) were presented in a way that didn't trigger nausea. It appears that making AC for VR will be a little trickier than simply creating a 3D view and integrating head tracking.

PCars is Rift Ready so if someone has a Rift they can run PCars in a VR mode. I hope to hear from actual sim racers about this experience and will be on the lookout for any reviews.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I was one of the early WMD members using VR(DK2) and while SMS did implement some automatic settings for Rift-mode, the head movement options were still functional and adjustable to user preference. The use of too much shake effect or G-force could be problematic for some but, small amounts of G-force actually worked pretty good in my experience. The main cause of nausea has almost always been linked to head-tracking issues. Anytime the head-tracking didn't match the in-game head-position, there would be an immediate disconnect within the vestibular system that could induce the onset of VR sickness.

In my case, I didn't suffer any significant sickness from playing Pcars but, it was sometimes necessary to close my eyes if there were any tracking issues or in certain cases where the view would be violently disturbed; crashing, high speed spins, barrel rolls, flips and the like can trigger some discomfort - much like it might in real life. :)

Fortunately, the recent Oculus SDK updates brought major improvements to deal with latency and introduced Time-Warp which is said to have improved overall smoothness and head-tracking in a big way. All of the early reports I've read so far are very favorable to supporting VR-sickness free experiences but, everyone's tolerance will vary. Moderation with limited-length sessions at first is always a good idea until one is sure VR legs are firmly in place.

I have no doubt that the consumer HMD versions are miles better than the dev-kits were in both latency and overall performance provided VR-spec PC's are being used. That's not to say VR sickness can't happen; there are some people that are extremely sensitive and there are those that just do silly things and have to learn the hard way. :confused:

ears1991 likes this.
  5. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

The current implementation of VR in AC causes me no discomfort whatsoever, and I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours in using that combination, sometimes 5-8 hours on the trot.

Great news that Oculus Rift support is still on the 'to do' list. Thanks for the update.

nivadepi and ears1991 like this.
  6. Blamer

Blamer Hardcore Simmer

I never had motion sickness with AC, but that's also cause I have a 2DOF rig that tricks the brain in thinking what eyes see is real. Just some with heavy lateral sway movements (when going out of track) cause I don't have traction loss right now.

With pCars I suffered of MS though, even with my motion rig. Let's see with the latest update if they solved the problem.

7. Jos_theboss

Jos_theboss Hardcore Simmer

Im not vr ready, i dont have usb 3.0 :(

8. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

With certain PC configs, there were people that experienced mild latency in Pcars that caused some dizziness or sickness while others had no issues at all. I think it's safe to say that Pcars should be worthy of having another go with CV1 or Vive if/when it gets support just to see how good it does VR. :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  9. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    Jos_theboss and ears1991 like this.
  10. gisen

gisen Gamer

You don't need usb3 for vive

JO_DA_W.E.I.R.D. likes this.
  11. gisen

gisen Gamer

The other thing to bear in mind is that hurtling round a racetrack at 150mph taking 5g corners will make some people motion sick in real life.

12. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

Anyone have their Rift ship yet? I ordered at 9am PST on the first day of preorder and mine isn't even being prepared for shipping yet.

13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Yes, that's also a possibility; some people can't even watch a video game played on a single monitor without feeling ill.

14. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

It does demonstrate how far VR has to go to impress non-gamers, non-techies, etc. It also seems that the writer has relatively little PC experience. It does point out that VR development will be a slow gradual process (and that's likely better than being a flash in the pan).

Still, it's a bit disappointing that there was no mention of "presence" or of being in the game world which is to say that the article missed the whole point of VR entirely IMO. Some people have issues suspending disbelief even when watching movies, making the whole process pointless for them. That kind of sums up the reviewer's perspective in this case.

16. HoiHman

HoiHman Simracer

VR support is comming, but it will take a while

http://www.assettocorsa.net/ac-v1-5-dev-diary-part-33/

17. elchshooter

elchshooter Hardcore Simmer

Seems to be a great update... although i have to admit, that i'm a little disappointed about the lack of some kind of "VR-Surprise"... other than that that's a much bigger update, than i expected.

As much, as it hurts: Take your time. Do it right. ;)

18. HoiHman

HoiHman Simracer

I agree, but i forsee having a rift and not being able to use it in any racegame the first couple of months, that will hurt a lot

19. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

You can use a Rift in PCars as we speak.

20. HoiHman

HoiHman Simracer

ATM only if you are prepared to buy the game for the second time