1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Why the rage on drift?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by deathsquid, Dec 12, 2013.

1. deathsquid

deathsquid Gamer

Why are there loads of people raging on the drift aspect of AC. I myself am not a big on drifting, nor do I know a lot about it, but it seems when someone posts about drift topic there comes a lot of narkie sarcastic replies. I love track racing, but if AC produce a good product I may be interested in drifting as-well. After all it is motor sport...isn't it?

Nahkamarakatti, Kristaps and Dori like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Screens & Videos Drifting up a parking garage with a stock Porsche 911! Nov 14, 2016
    ACC Troubleshooting Crashing on race exit or "return to garage" Apr 3, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Unable to leave garage to start race or even practice May 2, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Unable To Find The Original Storage Location Mar 1, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Car teleport back to garage Dec 12, 2021
    ACC Gameplay Return to garage activates pitcrew Dec 3, 2021
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Return to garage activates pitcrew Dec 2, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting wheel rotates by itself in menu (garage/pit) - [Fanatec beta driver related] Nov 26, 2021
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards 5-lap average not recorded, Brands Hatch, McLaren 720s Jul 25, 2021
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room FPR - ACC League Racing -[PC] Sundays 19:00GMT NOVICE DRIVERS ENCOURAGED. Feb 27, 2021
    ACC Gameplay "Return to garage" in single player doesn't fit new tyres? Nov 22, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions How much bandwidth does an ACC server use on average? Sep 7, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Does anyone have a painfully slow forum experiance? Say hello to Discourage mode. Aug 17, 2020
    ACC User Interface Hide garage menu when spectating Aug 14, 2020
    ACC Physics Using Simvibe with a Buttkicker. High pulses when car is in garage. May 16, 2020

3. plaid

plaid Alien

A factor depending on content I think is important in AC is, that it doesnt cost ressources, that are missing for the core-content which primarly usual racing against others on circuits.
    I myself dont need drift, drag, replays and the showroom and would hope for streettracks, based on Hillclimb and Rallye-tracks on streets (see Rallye Corse/Korsika), besides long circuits cause short tracks like Monza are allready boring for me.
    So Im not happy to pay for all that and hope for something different than bigger Kart-tracks like Laguna Seca.
    But most have other demands, so the majority.

4. Iroiroiro

Iroiroiro Racer

Sarcastic replies aren't raging. Raging is raging. Do note that while drifting is definitely a motorsport and a competition, it isn't racing (with the exception of a discipline that combines both racing and drifting: specific parts of the track must be drifted and raced. I actually thought it was a cool idea, and worked reasonably well in the video I watched). As in, the first to cross the finish line isn't always the winner, and the fastest run time is of no significant importance. A quick look on the AC website's main page describes the product as a "racing simulator". It may also be a case of feeling that giving style points based on subjective opinion doesn't below in racing. Can't say I personally care about what drifters get up to, as long as it drifting isn't done on servers that don't want it.

e: something like

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    FenixGTR likes this.
  5. 3igen

3igen Gamer

We live in a society where people like to get their panties in a bunch over things that other people do with their time that have absolutely no effect on themselves.

That is why the rage on drift. Personally I am a grip racer, but I can see the fun in drifting once in a while.

6. plaid

plaid Alien

Oh yeah, and the elitism and pandentary of many sim racers, where racing is only some existing cars on an existing - even very boring - track. Realistic physics on an open world, fantasytrack or rebuild road-tracks seem often blasphemie for those. And things like drift and drag.
    I dont like those. They are the most boring persons on the internet.
    Overall everything will still be a game on a computer.

I like my drifts like a bit of salt by driving with a street-car anywhere. :)

7. deathsquid

deathsquid Gamer

err drifting is can be in a racing format, drive a car, against the clock, albeit a points tally, but it can take the form of a race. I have no issue with it, in fact I reckon there would be loads people out there that would embrace AC if it was a viable component of the game. Having said that I can see the point that you make Plaid in your first post, and I agree to some extent, however your second post doesn't make much sense?

8. Horus

Horus Alien

The more the merrier, drifting is not my bag, but some would rather drift that race, others would rather race against AI and still others will not entertain anything but online competitions. If it's got an engine then let's have a go lawnmowers, trucks, milk floats, three wheelers, bring them on. You never know sometimes things you hate from the outside are quiet fun when you jump in and take a chance. :)

Dori, TheDyingScotsman and Ethan Dean like this.
  9. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

I wouldn't exactly say rage, but yeah it seems a touchy subject for some people.
    Maybe their mother never thought them to play nice with others and share. It comes across as very childish attitude. No it's my sim and it says racing in the title so you're not allowed to drift.
    It was the same thing on LFS too at first, only it was a lot more hostile attitude, so things are actually getting better and less racers seem to hate on drifting as much, or are a lot less vocal about it at least.
    I don't believe anyone who pulls off their first drift and says they don't have a huge grin on their face after.

10. plaid

plaid Alien

Yeah. I dont get the appeal of drifting for points, but I love to take the E30 Step D(rift) and enjoy driving clean and love these smaller or bigger drifts that accure.
    Racing usually means driving clean, for not losing time (besides rallye, which I love, especially cause u usually get new tracks), so what pure sim-racing usually is the definition for enthusiast in most cases. But if a game has the potential and there is the man and money-power for additional featueres, which AC delivers with its physics regarding drifts, why the hell not?! :D

11. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Drifting isn't my thing either, simply because I can't get the hang of it! But I like watching some of the vids created in AC and one day I may persevere and reach that elusive level 1! :(

Horus likes this.
  12. nikoelo

nikoelo Rookie

If you do well the physics (AC, LFS) the drifting is possible. The drifting in this game is not pre-programmed is more or less like real, i've seen many people doing drifting with different real m3 so, why not in the game?

Eric Von Zipper and Kristaps like this.
  13. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

There's nothing I hate more than the "I don't like it, therefore it shouldn't be included" attitude. Disgustingly selfish. The drift mode isn't even intrusive, if you don't like it then simply don't use it. It's as easy as that. Why must you try and take it away from those who do enjoy it?

The fact AC bills itself as "racing simulator" is irrelevant. If I were Kunos I would have put it as "motorsport simulator", but that's just me, it doesn't matter anyway. Above all else, it's an excellent physics platform for almost any kind of car you can think of, so all avenues should be explored. All sorts of drifting from street cars to Formula D, all kinds of drag racing from street to top fuel, karting, NASCAR, lawnmower racing, Super Trucks, trophy trucks, Stadium Super Trucks, rallycross, Gymkhana Grid, hell even Monster Jam if the physics engine was capable. The list goes on and on.

In short - if it's got an engine and wheels, AC is the platform to make the best simulation of it so that everyone can enjoy a realistic and immersive representation of the kinds of motorsport they love, be it F1, Monster Jam, or lawnmower racing. If you're one of those positively precious little snowflakes who absolutely must demand the removal of any kind of racing which they don't like, then you should just get out. Seriously. I'm not the biggest fan of drag racing ever, for example, but I'm not going to be a selfish bigot and try and remove it from those who do enjoy it.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just so sick and sodding tired of that kind of bigotry and elitism. Not that anyone's exhibited it in this thread (thankfully), I just felt the need to put this out there.

14. Racing_34

Racing_34 Simracer

i think that drifting is somehow like wheelings for motorbikes.. you try to avoid it if u have to go fast, but is massively funny, and to master it you have to develop some kind of tecquinecs ad sensibility that could be useful even for grip racing

15. I don't care for drifting and probably cannot do it in my setup but there's nothing wrong with AC offering drifting as well as the drag racing strip. These two categories have a lot of fans and are generally untapped by games so Kunos is doing well to have these ingame.

Ethan Dean likes this.
  16. Bill

Bill Gamer

If there's hill climbs with the option to reverse the course in multiplayer, I'm more than likely going to try and talk to a few people and try to set up downhill drift battles. One vs one, drift down the mountain. Depending on how wide the pass is, it may be a drag start or the drivers decide between each other who follows and who leads. In the end, if the front driver is able to get away, he wins. If he is passed, he loses. If the car keeps up, they switch turns and go for a round 2. In the case that the road is wide enough and they did a drag start the first round, the car that lead first is to follow the 2nd round.
    If this at all sounds familiar, you've probably watched Initial D. I've ALWAYS wanted to mesh racing with drifting the way Initial D did and HOPEFULLY Assetto will give me that opportunity.
    Given that it'd going by Initial D rules, grip driving would technically be completely allowed. There would be limits on cars and the tires that can be used, though. Street legal bits only ;) This would also make it more interesting for the drift guys to keep up, though. Drifting is slow if you want to show off, but even the best racers can admit that strategically sliding the car with all 4 wheels (4 wheel drifting [still with RWD not AWD]) can be very useful in some turns.
    I feel like running downhill battles like this could be a challenge for everyone. It'll help the grip guys get better at controlling the car in more unstable situations and it'll help the drift guys get used to being more technical and precise to be able to use drifting for speed when needed.

17. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

God damn right.
    That is like, the peak of driving pleasure imo.

18. Not sure I can say what I'm thinking any better than what Ethan wrote. The elitist, it's only cool and worthwhile if I like it, attitude that is seemingly prevalent in sim-racing is mind boggling. I can't drift and have spent less than 10 minutes trying but I'm glad that those that can have a game mode they can enjoy; and even more so I am glad that we have a sim that has a physics engine capable of it.

19. FYi

FYi Rookie

this would be a dream come true!
    I've always wanted to try this. I've done it before in Forza, though I suck at drifting.
    but to do this with AC's awesome physics, a proper race sim would be a blast!

alternative scoring could be drift points divided by the sum of longest combo and over all lap time,..
    or something like that. :p

20. isamu

isamu Racer

Drifting is awesome and is my favorite kind of driving discipline. Anyone badmouthing it is nothing but a straight up hater. In fact, drifting is the main reason I still favor arcade racing games over sims. Games like Ridge Racers, OutRun 2, Super GT, Daytona USA 1 and 2, F-Zero GX and of course Initial D, are the pinnacle of fun and are very underrated. Then there's *my* personal game of the year, GRID 2, which has cars that are an absolute JOY to drive. The Ariel Atom for example, is drifting paradise.

I sincerely hope Kunos decides to take their drifting mode in AC to the next level, and give us all sorts of downhill mountain courses as well as more European racing circuits. I'd really love to see old historic tracks from the 60's like Dundrod, Isle of Mann, Machwerx and Rouen Las Essarts brought to the game, so we can take our drift cars there and really have some fun! :)

21. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

And just wait till we get some serious drift cars. Imagine ~1100kg, 600hp+, probably even more lock
    e30 s54b32 is good, but only could be competitive in amature league drifts cups