1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

You shouldn't loose your drift points!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rex, May 23, 2016.

1. Rex

Rex Racer

You shouldn't loose your points when you leave the road. I understand you should loose your combo, but not the points you've made. If you drift for 10 min and then touch the grass, you have 0 points! That's not right, you should get the points and have the combo reset. Otherwise it's just so frustrating it's unplayable.

sacredaardvark and dermonty like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality Shouldn't I get better performance with this spec? Mar 12, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Why you shouldn't race 24h SP races yet... Jun 10, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Jaguar shouldn't be at Zolder Jun 2, 2019
    ACC User Interface Weather and Track Conditions - Quick Race = Special Events (but shouldn't) Apr 8, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Pause in hotstints shouldn't be blocked? Dec 11, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Why you shouldn't race 6h SP races yet... Nov 15, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Shouldn't there be some sort of punishment (tyre clipping through the model) Jun 23, 2016
    Suggestions Cars from different dlcs shouldn't matter for a player to join Jan 18, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds I knew i shouldn't 1.3 Oct 9, 2015
    Physics Bugs & Issues Physics "bugs" that shouldn't be in a simulator Dec 21, 2014
    Physics Bugs & Issues F40 shouldn't be this unfriendly... Jun 10, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Enjoying a Sim shouldn't be that much work:-( Mar 23, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Auto-blip in some cars that shouldn't have it Nov 27, 2013
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Minor bug - typing in setup names shouldn't beep horn Nov 16, 2013
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards CP server in SA - All loose connection May 20, 2023

3. Shex

Shex Gamer

Not everything has to be as easy as possible all the time. If you remove the penalty you might as well hand out the Steam achievements (I assume that's what you're going for) for free. Enjoy the challenge, learn from your mistakes and don't touch the grass next time. It's that easy.

vlado Cro, Auranapse and Dutchyfutch like this.
  4. Rex

Rex Racer

Well it was a suggestion for the devs to make the events better by removing frustration. I enjoy the challenge, I just think the events are better if you don't lose the points. You still lose the combo though, it's not handing out achievements. Imagine you drift for 15 min for a continuous combo and get 25K points, then you touch the grass and the session ends with 0 points and no achievements. That's not good from a design point of view. I should get the points I ALREADY achieved, but reset my combo. Frustration does not equal challenge.

5. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

tbh,i find drift events too easy!i dont agree with u! that is like hot lap without penalty!

Rift Racer likes this.
  6. Rex

Rex Racer

Ok, let me ask you: you drift like a god for 1 hour, make all kinds of amazing moves, clouds of smoke, get to 200x combo, then at the end you touch the grass and... poof! all gone, 0 points. Do you honestly think that's good design? I don't... but in any case, it was just a suggestion for the devs, they can read and decide if they change it or not.

sacredaardvark likes this.
  7. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

but that is the magic! every time u try and fail u will become better! :) your time will come! :p its posible too get gold in all of them!

Rift Racer likes this.
  8. Rex

Rex Racer

Well, let's agree to disagree :) and let the devs read it if they want (or not).

vlado Cro likes this.
  9. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

I'm really bad at drifting but I agree with Darko vlado: That's the magic. It's like gambling - if you risk too much you might lose it all. Sorry for that hackneyed phrase but I cannot express myself any better in that matter.
    It's your choice: Either you go all out or you play it safe.

vlado Cro likes this.
  10. Rex

Rex Racer

That's one way to see it, maybe there's no right answer. But in all the games I've ever played that had multiplier based score, if you mess up you lose the multiplier. I've never played a game where you lose the points too! :) I'm not saying just because it's like that in other games they should do it, but it simply makes more sense. You mess up, you lose the multiplier (combo) but you keep the points. The gamble is losing the multiplier, like in any other game.

11. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

I thought in Grid and Grid 2 it was like in AC.
    I can understand your point of view but it seems to be common practice (in drifting related games) as a quick Google research indicates: if you hit anything you'll lose all combo related points and all multipliers.

12. finepot

finepot Racer

i would like to see how much touching the grass you're talking about, i've had points stay barely getting one wheel off like this [​IMG]
    pro drifters get a 0 on runs if 2 or more wheels go off so i find if you run off track, losing points is acceptable. as long as you can drive after, you can get the points back :D

13. Rex

Rex Racer

I can't say how much touching the grass, but two wheels out is already too much penalty for me.

If in Grid it's like that then - ok, my mistake for saying AC is the only game with this system!

However I can't hide the fact that it still feels wrong to me. If I was to design the game I'd make it so you won't lose the points. Even more, I would make an "emergent" penalty, not a direct penalty. By that I mean, don't reset anything if you get out of the road, but make the drifting algorithm work only when you're on tarmac. This way, if you leave the road the combo expires naturally, and it's up to you to get yourself out of the situation and get back on the road, or else you're killing the combo yourself and losing time. So you're punishing yourself for leaving the road, the game doesn't punish you. Any situation where the game punishes you directly induces frustration in my view.

But this is a matter of taste in the end.

14. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I mostly agree with this one, except I'd say "all the points up to the last combo increase" so you lose the specific slide that went out of the track.

sacredaardvark likes this.
  15. sacredaardvark

sacredaardvark Hardcore Simmer

This.

You certainly should lose points for the drift that went OB, but I don't see why you're losing all the points you've already earned from earlier drifts (possibly several minutes earlier). I find it ridiculous that I have to occasionally stop drifting and drive gently to "bank" the points, so that I don't lose all of them to a single small mistake.

Then again, I don't like drifting in that much to begin with, racing is where it's at, not destroying tyres, so I'm not going to be too disappointed even if nothing changes in the drift mode. ^_^