1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AI or Multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Guybrush Threepwood, Feb 1, 2014.

?

Would you prefer AC to have excellent integration of either Offline AI or Online Multiplayer?

1. AI

31.7%
  2. Multiplayer

68.3%
  1. Aurelius

Aurelius Gamer

If you look at an E-sport like Dota2, it's clear you need excellent AI in order to train people to race clean before you unleash them into MP.

2. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Peto, you might be right, 98% of the Rf of all the players, I assume RF1, might have been online at one time or the other, but this not relevant as the challenge is to be online at the same time or it defeats the purpose.
    What matters is how many players are available online at any given time, and if you try it, I assume you do, you realize that there is not that many server and that many player playing online, particularly if you compare to how many have the SIM on their computer. The main reason is not that MP is not fun, no one contest it is, although it is obviously highly dependent of the quality of the field present at any given time, the reason not so many people are available is because it requires organization, availability and commitment, and this very hard to collect for a hobby that many do when they have time available and just for fun.

4yrton Senn4 likes this.
  3. Put up a poll online to see how many people race predominately online...Am I the only one that thinks the results will be a little skewed?

Yet the AI are faster and give a greater challenge than three quarters of the online players....weird

Just playing devil's advocate here as I can't wait for MP but to assume that we know more than the Marketing Manager of Kunos is a bit asinine.

4. Backmarker

Backmarker Racer

speaking of AI....
    Does anyone know if the AI can be used to add to a grid in an online multiplayer race?

5. Aceking

Aceking Racer

I believe you're wrong on your quote about rFactor! :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  6. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Hard to say as nobody has been online yet.;)

Funny thing is since rf2 have got the karts i got back into it some more. Online there is a ghost town and the few races i did are so much worse then even the first ac ai. Racing the AI here I hardly ever got hit same as the ai there and you can set them fairly quick. Offline there may be 1 other driver on my pace and everyone else well off.

In a 10 lap race qualifying front row just about every race and mostly on poll. In about 20 races I have yet to not be hit and spun in the first lap from behind while leading. Then when lapping cars they have hit me about 80% of the tims when they get blue flags. Then you have people crashing all over the place.

Its still fun in its insane way but as i can race hundreds of laps on the fastest ai settings at a faster pace then online with hardly ever any contact. I think that says something for the experiance expected online. I will still race quite a bit online but have way more faith going side by side with ac ai then 99% of online players in rf2.

I wouldnt expect AC to be any different other then it should have much larger numbers assuming the netcode isnt rubbish. Also I think the driving standards overall will be better on ac going by times in rsr. There are lots of people capable of fairly good lap times.

Many probably wont venture into oublic pickup racing but I want to race when i have time and this is no regular schedule so leagues dont really work for me. I will take on the pubkic servers and if this frustrates me too much then back to ai it is where you can get a nice competitive race anytime you want anywhere.

Backmarker likes this.
  7. Aceking

Aceking Racer

I believe AC will definitly code the AI as an option to fill up your multiplayer grid because even in Race07, and rFactor, they have this option. When i setup my rFactor server with some friends i'am always excited to add up to 24 AI on the grid because the AI i enhanced will give me a endurance race experience which i find fantastic and overall a much cleaner and faster race with the AI than humans!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Backmarker likes this.
  8. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

I like AI with current sims, because I don't have that much time to play and I live in an a weird time zone, making league play a bit awkward, also I'm fussy about cars, into mostly open wheelers and classics. If I play on open servers there probably won't be much to play that I'm interested in, and of what there is cars I'm not that good with and drivers who probably have a tendency to want to smash me off at turn one. Maybe AC will be different, I'll be interested to see how many people are online and what leagues there are.

9. Angelo Lima

Angelo Lima Rookie

Among the many advantages that exist in multiplayer has not commented on here is to meet and make new friends with common interests, worldwide.
    To min multiplayer for PC simulators is essential, while the AI just a bonus.

Juergen Herrmann likes this.
  10. Snarffu

Snarffu Racer

I look forward to using these wicked physics to slide as few inches as possible from the other sideways fiend in front of me :D

Bailey likes this.
  11. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

MP is a strong selling point. I'd want to see how the other sims would sell if they didn't have mp at all. I'm sure that AC will get a big sales bump when MP will be introduced. Mark my words!

There are people saying that they don't care about MP. I'm sayingt that MP is everything. That does not mean that I will race 24/7 online. Maybe I'll race once a week, but still MP is way more important than AI.

12. CKraegel

CKraegel Simracer

Some time ago, Stefano tweeted that this won't be possible in v1.0 of assetto corsa. But things may have changed

Backmarker likes this.
  13. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

You are totally right the question is not if AC think PM is important or if AC will have MP, we know the answer is yes.
    The debate is that AI came first and MP is on its way but we are not sure yet when.
    The people for whom AI is more important than MP, like me, I believe generaly enjoy MP as well, but like you, I hope ( I am hoping you use your SIM mor than once a week), will play AC offline a lot more than online, for all kind of good reasons.
    The people for whom MP is every thing are often not so interested in AI.
    So here we have one group that almost already have everything they need and the other group is waiting
    The first group is most likely much bigger, but the second group as more reasons to be frustrated so they are a little noisier, and beeing online oriented, more present on forums that they depend on to organise their fun, we hear about them a lot.
    It is all good, in a few weeks, we will all have the same grin on our face.:D

Backmarker and 4yrton Senn4 like this.
  14. Backmarker

Backmarker Racer

thank you for the information.
    I hope the MP features change to include AI addition.
    :)

15. Backmarker

Backmarker Racer

Oh great! I hope this is true!
    :)

Yes, from my limited online experience (outside of iRacing) with games that do not have AI in online racing you can sometimes only have, say, 7 drivers join a race...then 4 or 5 of those drivers will drop out once they realize they can't win the race! :rolleyes:

16. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Being able to mix AI and friends for an MP experience would be a dream come true for me too.

Anuj likes this.
  17. Pascalwb

Pascalwb Hardcore Simmer

I mean they play MP instead of AI.

18. Anuj

Anuj Racer

AI

Sent from my HTC

19. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

You can program AI to be quick, but there is no replacement for human opponents. AI can usually always be exploited in various ways and your racing habits will tend to reflect who you've been racing against. So putting yourself up against humans will teach you a hell of a lot more about proper racing behaviour and is also far more challenging on the whole because humans can learn and aren't nearly as predictable as AI are.

Not to mention that you can actually communicate with your competitors when they are human, which is pretty important(to me) in a racing sim, even if its just to apologize or say "on your left" or something simple that helps encourage clean and civil racing.

Multiplayer is definitely where its at.

Backmarker likes this.
  20. Backmarker

Backmarker Racer

In a perfect world this would be law! :) Unfortunately, most players go online racing infrequently so to have AI to fill out grids is a big bonus! :)

Cote Dazur and Anuj like this.