1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Becoming a faster driver

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by caledoniacation, Apr 9, 2014.

1. I've been sim racing for a few months now and I feel confident that I can control the cars well (apart from massive oversteer) and I wanted to start doing setups to get me quicker and hopefully learn more about cars.

I've been messing around with the lotus exos s1 but that is a very complicated car to setup. I'm now wondering if there is a better option to learn to start setting up cars and if there is any tutorials that people who are still learning or have learned found helpful when when they were a little beginner crashing after every 3rd lap.

I couldn't find any posts on this sorry if it is a dupe

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer C'MON KUNOS - IT'S BECOMING V-E-R-Y ANNOYING THIS LOBBY SLOWNESS!!!! Jun 10, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Is AC becoming to be the SIM of all SIM? May 29, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Help! Retaliation becoming harassment Apr 17, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer CP Races are becoming a joke Mar 19, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Student to race for BMW team after becoming online champion in AC Nov 2, 2016
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Assetto becoming "NO Man's Sky" of my sim world Oct 1, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Becoming better at (sim)racing watching video Aug 8, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Game size on disk is becoming an issue: stock game + dlcs is now 28gb Dec 4, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Mod content becoming official content - helicorsa? Jul 21, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game Lagging out and becoming unresponsive mid race Apr 30, 2014
    ACC Physics Anyone else finding the Alpine being much faster than any other GT4 cars since 1.9? May 30, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality 2 _ seconds faster Oct 26, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Misano | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Jun 14, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Kyalami | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Feb 23, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Paul Ricard | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Nov 4, 2021

3. beany2009

beany2009 Racer

4. spiritofsenna

spiritofsenna Simracer

beany2009 likes this.
  5. mogroith

mogroith Racer

An old racing trick if you looping your car to often, is taping squash ball to the fire wall so you can still get full acceleration, but have to squeeze the last 5-10cm. Might be able to do something similar to your pedals.

6. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I'd start with one of the road cars, they have less tweaking options than the out and out race cars. Maybe the X-Bow?

7. mogroith

mogroith Racer

Have not driven the x-bow for a while but the front end was higher than the rear, drop the front end so its 1mm-2mm lower than the rear and its a different car.

8. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

I think I'm right in saying that good setup versus reasoanble default could maybe give you 1 more second ,

if you are 3-5-6 or even 10 seconds of the pace, it's not setup :)

The Moose likes this.
  9. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

Nope:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    *default setup

10. mogroith

mogroith Racer

Must not of had my glasses on, thought it was 151 front, 150 rear, hanging out to get a bigger screen this 14 inch is killing me. Usually the first thing you have to fix with a car is the under steer the factory builds in as safety feature. Me bad will go back to my cave.

11. MattEman

MattEman Gamer

take a look at setupfu. I think it was about $20 (AUS). It is a little bit of back and forth, to and fro, but it really helped.
    It is a third part setup engineer that works for almost any car and any sim. Be prepared to write down some notes when setting up your car as you have to go from sim to windows when entering data.

www.setupfu.com

Happy Racing:cool:

12. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

Surely that depends on the circuit and car. Seems that the road cars have a much smaller gap at the top, and the open wheelers, being more set-up dependent have a bigger space between them, and obviously a longer track there will be more time left on the table. Although I agree generally if you are over 3 seconds off the pace you are too slow.

13. CanOx

CanOx Simracer

14. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The funny thing is to be faster use more brake and less throttle. People that are too slow tend to outbreak themselves and then get on the gas too soon which slows them down.

Setup is important at the end for the last but and to get a car to suit your style. You should be able to run consistant laps no matter the setup its just with a poor one you will be slower. Once you can run a consistant pace then you should get an idea of where you could gain time beyond how you drive the car.

At that point you can start making setup changes but if you cant run laps consistantly within a few tenths then making a change you wont necessarily see if its made things better or worse.

No car is undriveable on the default setup but you can make them a little quicker. Learn the basics on tyres and alignment with a street car then move on to more advanced track day cars then a full on race car once you understand the basic setup options. You can do the same with a full race car but if you start with road cars uou can get an idea of where you are pace wise just within the available setup options.

To get the most out of a full on race car you need to tune each part as well as possible but even still if you have gearing and aero ok you should be able to drive within a few seconds of the faster guys.

Fly Low and Nahkamarakatti like this.
  15. 4yrton Senn4

4yrton Senn4 Simracer

16. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

Just reading about how the car works won´t teach you how to setup the car. First you need to understand - and assimilate in practice - vehicle dynamics, so you will be able to "read" the car behaviour and lastly (and that is the most difficult part) you got to find a way to change it to suit your needs.

You can´t make the car faster if you don´t know what is wrong with it. And to make things worse most of the time the car is fine and the problem is the driver (wich is the worst scenario as you create a problem that doesn´t exists in the car).

Its like when you drive a car of someone who doesn´t care about it. In the first 5 minutes you can point things like "steering misaligned, water temp too high, gears grinding, engine misfiring", its the same thing with setting up the car, you have to indentify those obvious flaws and have the tools (knowledge) to fix them.

Just by fixing those obvious things you will already have a good setup.

When i first try a car, the first thing that i look are brakes and diff. They´re simple to setup and have a huge impact on drivability. And its astouding as how many people simple doesn´t understand it and always rely on abs and tc.

And one last thing, very few people understand all the settings in the car. Most just understand some key areas and work on it. And they all do fine, you don´t need to try to understand everything. Just get the basics and assimilate them. The rest will come (or not :D ) with time.

caledoniacation likes this.
  17. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

this is still one of the best video about racing , old but man it's good!

18. Fly Low

Fly Low Gamer

My dad had a video a lot like that on vhs not to sure if was from his racing and crew chief days but had to be around that time, great video. Great now i got to go look for it. A huge thing he always said was to go fast you must go slow in the cockpit.

19. i've always been put off by the length and how old it is but I really should make time to watch it

20. Fwankys

Fwankys Rookie

Smooth imputs and patience are needed aswell.

21. Strummer

Strummer Simracer

This will be self-evident to most of you but bears repeating: the key to a fast lap is knowing which are the "important" corners on the track, i.e. those that lead onto the longest straights. You can drive the less important corners perfectly but you still won't see a pleasing lap time if you do not have a good exit speed at the important ones.