1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Becoming better at (sim)racing watching video

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by chalminho, Aug 8, 2016.

1. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

Hi,

I sometimes like to try to find first person videos when I'm working on improving my lines and lap times in Assetto Corsa. Just googling the name of your car and track gives decent results but I'm pretty sure I'm missing a lot of good content.

I'd be grateful if you could post links to videos of (preferably Assetto Corsa) videos of (sim)racers that helped your simracing career.

Are there youtubers out there that post hotlap videos/series of videos that helped you? Videos in which the racer comments his laps are probably most useful.

More generally, articles and any educational material that you feel made you a better simracer are welcome.

Thanks for your help! (I probably won't be the only one you'll help with your posts).

chksix likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer C'MON KUNOS - IT'S BECOMING V-E-R-Y ANNOYING THIS LOBBY SLOWNESS!!!! Jun 10, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Is AC becoming to be the SIM of all SIM? May 29, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Help! Retaliation becoming harassment Apr 17, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer CP Races are becoming a joke Mar 19, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Student to race for BMW team after becoming online champion in AC Nov 2, 2016
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Assetto becoming "NO Man's Sky" of my sim world Oct 1, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Game size on disk is becoming an issue: stock game + dlcs is now 28gb Dec 4, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Mod content becoming official content - helicorsa? Jul 21, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game Lagging out and becoming unresponsive mid race Apr 30, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Becoming a faster driver Apr 9, 2014
    ACC Virtual Reality Shouldn't I get better performance with this spec? Mar 12, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Better FFB in ACC for low-medium range wheels? Dec 10, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Do we have any better Porsche Cup liveries for single player mode Jul 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is the PS5 version better? Jun 20, 2023
    ACC User Interface Suggestion for much better replay- overview Dec 14, 2022

3. baboon

baboon Alien

4. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

It's not exactly what you're asking for, but even though it's old this video will help you a lot with improving your driving.

marcinmarcin79, Turk, Hagen and 2 others like this.
  5. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

Ischemica likes this.
  6. Driver61 vids are good for getting your lines right:-

More stuff on his website.

Seria17hri11er and Ischemica like this.
  7. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

Thanks all! Much appreciated. :)

DanStock likes this.
  8. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

9. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Not a video but a book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Speed-Secrets-Racers-Bible/dp/0760340501

I've found Ross Bentley's "Speed Secrets" book to be quite good. Some aspects of fast efficient driving are counter intuitive, at least to me, there are a lot of good suggestions and practical explanations you can follow. Also I prefer to try to apply real world techniques rather than what ammount to gamey exploits, it's good to find out what real world practice actually is. The last comment isn't directed at anyone in this thread btw, before people start to get in a mood... ;)

Tim Meuris and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  10. baboon

baboon Alien

I have a book too: "Driving on the Edge" by Michael Krumm. Easy to follow, written from a pro drivers perspective and well illustrated.

11. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Ross Bentley's "text book for race divers" was absolutely essential for me when it comes to the "not so obvious parts" of (race) driving. The Skippy vid posted above is a good introduction, but it lacks system. Ross B.s approach is well structured and brings you efficiently to the point. Well, the 4th quarter is more useful in RL racing, but interesting to read nonetheless. Reading this book was the most boost to my learning curve.

Mogster likes this.
  12. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Also interesting is that Top Gear episode where the lovely old lady (Hamster … :D) teaches Captain Slow how to drive fast.
    And he really had a point there.
    A smooth throttle curve (that's Mr. Stewarts advice) with no lifting (as in on/off throttle) will improve your time once you get the feeling for it.
    And it will save the rear tyres as well. ;)

Basically the first thing most people try first when they start to race is to brake as late as possible.
    However, you should keep in mind that the corner exit is in most cases far more important than the corner entry.
    If you mess up the exit, you lose time on the straight as well, which can sum up to 1s (or more) very fast.
    The time you can gain by braking late is normally more in the range of 0.2 to 0.5s.

donShere likes this.
  13. Arch

Arch Alien

You're not gonna gain any time by braking late. Hundredths maybe. Entering faster is what gets you the gains, not braking late.

Ross Bentley's Ultimate Speed Secrets is probably the most complete book.

Apart from Going Faster that has been posted, this is essential IMO because it covers the basics of sliding which can always be applied to the circuit:

BrandonW77 likes this.
  14. Blizzier

Blizzier Racer

Look at Alexander West youtube channel. Good for learning lines on circuits already added to game, like Barcelona, Vallelunga, Mugello, Silverstone etc.

15. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

I have started to watch some of the videos you mentioned (going through all of them will definitely take time) and have started reading Bentley's book. I already have found points I need to put more focus on in my driving (braking technique and smoothness mostly for now) and I'm sure that will make me faster eventually.

Also, baronesbc online battle videos are super cool and entertaining to watch.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for your very helpful suggestions!

Ondrej Cerny, Ace Pumpkin and Andy-R like this.
  16. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

17. Forgot10

Forgot10 Gamer

This helped me massively with Nordschleife. I still watch it from time to time and improve with every lap I drive there.

chalminho likes this.
  18. I am more concerned with avoiding any pointless emotional outbursts when careless contacts occur online, which is why I have printed a simple code of conduct for myself. It will sit right next to my monitor whenever I play Assetto Corsa, and remind me to stay calm at all times!

pika4u likes this.