1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Do Super-Cars Really Understeer This Much?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Guybrush Threepwood, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the cars in AC understeer far too much? It is particularly apparent in the 458, but most of them bar the Formual Abarth seem to understeer more than what I would have expected from my previous sim experience and real road driving experience.

I've never driven a car in real life that is near to some of the performance machines in AC, but it just doesn't feel right. I looked up some motoring reviews of the 458 and they say that it is nimble, direct and darts when and where you want it even if you are throwing it into corners. The AC experience just doesn't seem to reflect this at all.

It is the same with a lot of the "tin-tops" though. It just seems that there is no front grip.

I do love driving the Formula Abarth and it is what I spend my time doing in AC (a shame it will be the only open-wheeler in the full release that is currently raced), and already AC is my top sim, I just wish I could warm to the sluggish feeling of many of the other cars.

Laccoo likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer We REALLY need a player report feature Dec 27, 2023
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Steering is really slow and delayed. Xbox controller Jun 4, 2022
    Steering wheels discussions G923 really that better than G920? Dec 30, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Really don't get the way GPU/GFX works in this game even with 50% overhead Jun 18, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos A car without number plate, it is really possible? May 31, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer A Report Option would really improve the open lobby experience Apr 15, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Really want to use my G2 for ACC (Andrew_wot please contribute) Mar 21, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions G29 FFB : is anyone really happy and satisfied? (Vote) Nov 24, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Really strange problem...Mercedes gear ratio Jul 28, 2020
    ACC General Discussions A Really Honest Talk About ACC Pricing in Brazil [505 - REPORTED TO PUBLISHER] Jul 23, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Really Easy VR Guide Step By Step Jul 22, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Really annoying problem with view changing at start of race Jul 19, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is it just me or are peoples eyes really hurting after even a 10m race? XBOX One X Jun 24, 2020
    ACC Audio Really loud random bang in game Mar 29, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Simracers storytime (TL;DR - I really, really enjoy ACC) Dec 10, 2019

3. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Check your speedometer. Remember this is a road car not a race car. You will (hopefully) see a big difference when the 458 GT2 is released, which has spine breaking suspension.

4. Horus

Horus Alien

I concur, try taking the great prancing one around a track like Monza and you will have to use those big carbon horse stoppers once in a while. I think the problem is the thing is so fast off the get go, you just don't realise how fast you are going. To have a real eye opener race the Lotus 49 around some, then jump back in the Ferrari and you will feel a totally different experience and appreciate how fast you really are going. Good luck and most of all keep going for it.

P.S. If you want that full race spec car then go for the BMW M3 GT2, that thing will rip through most corners without a care in the world. Two braking spots in the whole of Monza, and don't forget to accost Curva Grande (1st corner) flatout in 6th, You can take liberties with the Curve di Lesmo too 4-5th gear backend a flapping. Great fun. :D

5. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

I feel it (F458) understeers way too much too, no matter the entry speed. It's not about going too fast into corners but the steering is really slow to react. Reports are like you said, that the 458 is nimble and steering is direct, and so far AC does not give me this impression.

6. Maybe is due to me driving it on a wrong way, but I have the same feeling and I just quit driving it after some min's.

TheDyingScotsman likes this.
  7. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I did think the same (that the cars understeer a lot), however I have come around a fair bit. I do perhaps think there is a touch too much understeer on occasion, but I don't know, im not a physics expert.

8. Ruskyv

Ruskyv Gamer

What part of the corner are you experiencing understeer?
    Entry,mid or exit..

9. TheDyingScotsman

I don't think so. I've tried braking earlier, making sure I am off both gas and brake on turn in and it still understeers like a pig :)

Sergio Marques likes this.
  10. TheDyingScotsman

Personally it's mostly entry AND mid. It's not even JUST the understeer, it's the directness of the steering, it's just not there. This car should react very well to steering inputs but it doesn't. it's sluggish 90% of the time. You can slide a little under braking to get turn-in and power-oversteer mid-corner to get it to turn more but you shouldn't have to.

Ruskyv likes this.
  11. Ruskyv

Ruskyv Gamer

Same thing im feeling. The corner that springs to mind is the left hander after hanger stright on the silverstone circut. That corner is off camber so it dose exagerate oversteer a little. You can brake way deep in that corner and i find that the weight over the front seems to help with turn in but i have to come off the brake real smooth or its crossed up for corner exit.

Personaly i find the car fairly well balanced but good direction change seems to come from a decent amount of trail braking on corner entry.

I think there is a real art to getting this car round that perfect lap hehe.

TheDyingScotsman likes this.
  12. TheDyingScotsman

Silverstone really does accentuate the problem for sure. I just tried to run a few laps there and can't believe how much I struggle with even the slowest corners..Let's hope improvements are made...or that our skills improve LOL

13. Horus

Horus Alien

The problem with this is that one persons settings (wheel and PC) can change everything in relation to feel. For example the BMW GT2 feels like is has massive oversteer until you drive it with a little more care and tenderness. I found the Ferrari has a little understeer but when you boot it the backend steps out and off you go. Also what tyres are these understeer moments on slicks or road tyres? I'm not poo pooing here, just saying that there is more to how a car feels than the sim it's self. For example I have seen some have 100% damper on in Logitech profiler, some have push to centre (never understood that one myself). So for me I have no problems with the cars, well except trying to get the Lotus 49 around a track lol.

So what I would say is maybe change your usual/default settings, I have had to make a new profile just for AC in both my nVidia control panel and Logitech profiler. Again I am not trying to annoy anyone just say what I have experienced. :)

14. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Try giving it more rear wing, it sticks to the road so much I can feel my neck muscles working against the G-force!
    But you are correct regarding wheel setup. Since you guided me through that the other night on TS my experience has improved so much....thank you again for that ;)

Horus likes this.
  15. TheDyingScotsman

On the semi-slicks. The GT2 reacts as I'd expect. I can really push that car and control it very well, because it reacts to my inputs. Yes you have to be careful as it can oversteer, but try driving it at monza with 2 rear wing.....you need pretty good car control to not oversteer it. That I can do. The Ferrari just doesn't. Yes it steps out when you boot it, but like we said, reports of real tests of this car report it is VERY nimble, agile, and has very direct steering. Again this is not what is happening in AC with this car.

Btw I spent the first week on this sim tweaking FFB and graphics :) Also yes, you need damper on 100% in profiler, if you want dampening in-game to have any effect. You could have it lower I suppose. Centering spring, never been something I've used every in any sim, but the lack of center forces in this sim means you may need it if like me, you prefer a slightly stiff wheel around center. In fact Luca (staff) recommends it @ 12%....for a reason :)

16. Horus

Horus Alien

NO! LOL, I have taken the wing to 1 and it is superb bud, that thing is a beast. Thanks BBG. :D

bigbawmcgraw likes this.
  17. TheDyingScotsman

it doesn't go to 1. It's 2 or 0 lol. :)

18. Ruskyv

Ruskyv Gamer

Pesonaly the 458 is my favorite car. And i think its short comings are actually my ability to remember how to get it round the track. The car is generaly easy to drive but where it starts to become harder are is when you are pushing for that few extra tenths right on the limit of grip. I guess with no sence of self preservation you are going to experience handling charictaristics not normaly seen in real life lol.

Leemstradamus and bigbawmcgraw like this.
  19. TheDyingScotsman

yes but these characteristics exist whether pushing or not, of course they are worse if pushing but even when driving gently it understeers like a 2tonne pig :D

20. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

1 ?? I have rear wing on either 6 or 8!!! o_O

With my setups at Silverstone, at the end of Hanger straight the Ferrari reaches about 152mph. The BMW M3 GT2 (with lots of rear wing :oops:) reaches slightly less than that, around 148mph. Now the BMW not only has much stiffer suspension and soft slick tyres, it also has A LOT of down force to keep it on the track. So realistically you will have to slow down quite a bit in the Ferrari approaching Stowe corner to avoid the gravel as it has nowhere near the amount of mechanical or aero grip as the BMW. Should be a good contest when the 458 GT2 comes out :D
    When I first played the game, I drove around like Miss Daisy getting used to the feel of the cars. It wasn't until ppl started posting their fast lap times that I really pushed trying to match their time. Since then I can barely keep the car (458) on the track :rolleyes:

Ruskyv likes this.
  21. Horus

Horus Alien

This is a full race spec Ferrari and as such will have more bite into corners, but look at the speed he is going through corners and it is a little bit slower than what I am getting in the super car we have in AC. Where he is reading speed in KPH, I am using MPH, and the speeds are similar, so I am going faster. Lots of tyre squeal and the car slides a fair bit but outside of that I am pushing the little darling some.

NitroStar likes this.