1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

From the Facebook thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Michael Hornbuckle, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Alien

Yesterday night, it rained outside so i thought it would be nice to join a server to race... bzzzzzzzd...damn keyboard...stop it, that´s not funny! :D

Salad Fingers and ALB123 like this.
  2. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

But I just wanted to suggest... *gets electrocuted*

ALB123 likes this.
  3. Rigel

Rigel Alien

4. Vel

Vel Simracer

Was there a Delorean in that picture?
    Is that a Flux capacitor?
    Confirmation of Delorean license?:)

eXo and 6S.Manu like this.
  5. IMrIMike

IMrIMike Hardcore Simmer

Or camo skin support

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

@xel and Salad Fingers like this.
  6. Vel

Vel Simracer

OMG! Cloaking device detected!?!:eek::D

7. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

Liked for the Avatar. Brings up so much memories.... Those were the times!!

IMrIMike likes this.
  8. Jim Layhee

Jim Layhee Simracer

.. Confirmation confirmed! , well Italy is Catholic

Salad Fingers and AlleyViper like this.
  9. Stereo

Stereo Alien

That doesn't sound right to me, it's always been on the "not possible in AC" list. The graphics engine is built to process a single light source, adding more would mean adding a new graphics engine, which would mean starting from scratch (new game).

Seria17hri11er and nate like this.
  10. Psit

Psit Alien

...and you really think iracing or Automobilista can support more than one light source? ;)

I think its neither night nor rain. Porsche.

11. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

Not exactly. Even if they didn't do night they still likely want multiple light sources.

It's not a complete overhaul, just more optimizations and there are lots of tricks for lighting and shaders. Going from one global light (and possibly a few static ones) to more lights with rules is a lot of work and will change the look a lot...

It's also a natural evolution for the tech. It's really a great achievement what they have done so far with only the sun, and I'm sure tests have been performed with more but i have every confidence Kunos will do great... But rain is WAY easier :)

Perhaps they accounted for it when they did all the work for the consol renderer?

Patrik Marek likes this.
  12. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Some people just don't understand.
    See Stefano's latest stream. Actually not just that.
    He was clear as crystal.
    Night is possible but considering that the game is made for a single light source, it would require such work to achieve multiple lights, that with current recourses, is practical impossible.

As for Marco's latest pic, I am very curious. It seems like a professional photography studio, big enough to support a car.
    So we might get a new license. Hope is Lada...

AurusCE, Seria17hri11er, nate and 2 others like this.
  13. fabT

fabT Alien

Wild speculation.
    Confirmed.

14. Mogster

Mogster Alien

As I understand it rather than complex lighting effects using actual dynamic light sources older games use shaders to create the illusion of lights illuminating the scene irc. You can see in night time vids from iRacing that although at a glance it looks good the head lights aren't really illuminating anything beyond the track as they would in rl and any trackside lights don't actually light up the cars.

That's where my understanding ends... :)

15. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Maybe you haven't modded for them... AMS (and all rf1 derivatives) support ~5 light sources. iRacing seems to be about the same. They just get moved to different streetlamps depending where the player is so the track looks completely lit. Then headlights use a simple projection where it adds lighting to the surface's diffuse texture. This in particular is not possible in AC because most materials don't have a plain diffuse texture, they have 4-6 details, maps, etc. affecting the look.

It's not some thing where DX11 is automatically superior, able to handle more lights... it's just a matter of "when planning the engine, you decide how many lights you want, and then every decision after that is affected".

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  16. Psit

Psit Alien

I haven't seen a single instance where AMS has shadows casted by more than 1 light source, but ok :)

17. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Well yeah, they're light sources, not shadow sources... almost no game (in any genre) has more than one dynamic shadow source at a time.

Extra light sources, in an engine built for it, only duplicates the final vertex shading section of the render pipeline. (maybe 5-10% of render time, per light, could be less for simple light sources). Or, sometimes, not even that - lights are added purely in post-processing.

Extra shadow sources duplicate the entire shadow render process - they need separate projections, separate texture buffers, and most of an extra vertex pass. (easily 30-40% of render time).

So you're talking about, for 5 lights, either 50% longer frame draw time, or 200% longer if you wanted them to cast shadows. (so from 60 fps to either 40 or 20)

This is obviously why rf2 needs beefier graphics cards to draw simpler models than AC has... personally I'm fine with AC being daytime-only but looking way better at 60fps.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  18. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  19. TTM likes this.