1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Go faster. Basic driving techniques at Game&Track YT channel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Aristotelis, Apr 3, 2017.

1. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

oh yeah I forgot about that haha thanks

2. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Hmm, figured I should lay down a baseline before watching the video. After 15 laps or so, 1:13.75 was my best, but I could definitely take another half second off if I ran more and really got some consistency. Lots in the heavy braking zones and probably some on the higher speed corners too. Didn't play with the settings at all cause the stock pressures were giving me maybe 2psi low in front right and ok on the rest and that tire's not exactly crucial to doing a decent lap. Esp. in a car+track combo I haven't driven in probably a year or more.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  3. Kaaarp

Kaaarp Racer

@aris could you discuss where your eye focus is at each point of a turn in a future video?

I've found i'm so preoccupied with braking points that I miss the apex and then lose time on corner exit as a result. Also, I'm over correcting for oversteer as I'm staring a few meters in front of the car and not 10/20/whatever meters ahead.

As an aside, I smiled so much watching your video, as a reaction to your enjoyment, that my other half assumed I was watching cats play ping-pong or something more obviously lulzy.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  4. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Sounds like braking too late perhaps? You only need to check your brake marker to start your braking for the corner, once you've done that (which I guess is kind of with peripheral more or less anyway) its back to focusing on your line/apex.

Kaaarp and mms like this.
  5. Skybird

Skybird Alien

You are absolutely right, and I said it myself: I lack consistency.

If I would add the best times per turn and track section that I can acchieve, hit the correct braking points perfectly all in this one lap instead of having these lucky events distributed and scattered across several laps, and thus construct my perfect lap from the best performance pieces at all given poinst of the track, I would be maybe 2-3 seconds or so faster than those 1:17 I did on hard tires.

(On medium tires, same track temperature like you, and with the right tyres not increasing pressure by two clicks, but reducing the left tyres by one click instead, I made it into the 1:15 range - I assume on mediums you would already be in the range of 1:10 there :) )

But I do not manage to get all this "pefection"together in one lap, or keep running lets say five laps all within one half of a second. Some parts I get wonderfully done, and then I mess up some others. Mostly, I fail in keeping revs high, when braking, I become too slow, let the revs drop to far, and so acceleration take too long. To some degree - which should not be a foul excuse for myself - it may be due to the pedals being too light, the steering with the wheel and keeping the correct line I can do better (G27). I have close to 900 hours in AC now, and maybe half of that time, or close to that much, I have done on the Nordschleife. Knowing I do the track inside out - but still my driving does not benefit from that.

But then, I also have an inbuild inhibition to bring the car into a driving state, an attitude, that I consider to be "instabile", dangerous, needing me to compensate. I hate sliding and drifting cars. I feel bad when doing it, insecure, and I hardly do it well. My desire to drive safe, lives on even in the virtual world. :) Maybe I should switch to train simulator, hehe...

Its like this since 20 years. I doubt I will relearn it any time soon. :) But that is okay as long as I can take fun from the experience of driving, and for the rest I reduce the AI skill level. If I cannot make it to their levels, I pull them down to mine. That is clever tactics! LOL :D In the end we all are here to have fun, in our own subjective way, and with the tools and methods of our choosing.

So, no attempt by me to weasel around it. I am a slow driver, peridod. I am an older guy (50), and I do not even own a real car (never did, my driving license is unused since almost 30 years...) So if I sound bitter or frustrated - no, I am not, writing this with a grinning face.

But the next guy overtaking me already in the box exit - I will throw my wheelbrace after him, I swear it. You've been warned.

P.S. I did 20 laps at Silverstone Int with the M235i yesterday. Times varied from 1:20-1:17 with hard and 1:17-1:15 with medium tyres. And I mean: times went up and down wildly. Consistency... Silverstone GP is another one of those tracks I have driven most in AC.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Yes. On bicycle.

TDS and Fat Rich like this.
  7. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

The one thing that stood out to me driving this car on that circuit -- when trying after Aris' video -- is how difficult it is for me to drive and keep on the racing line (and use the full track) without ABS. You really notice the tiny irregularities in the track surface and your own tiniest mistakes in the braking zones. Best I can manage is a 1:12.702, 26°C ambient, Optimum track, default setup (hard slicks) without TC/ABS. I didn't change anything in terms of brake bias however. I'm no stranger to driving without ABS but with the stock setup ABS brings definitely much more confidence.

Braking and brake bias is definitely something I'd like to see covered by Aris as well. =]

Tim Meuris and Cote Dazur like this.
  8. gregack

gregack Racer

And once again a great video from Aris! I bet many new guys will appreciate it! Great stuff.:)

9. mms

mms Alien

@Skybird you seem to have the exact same symptoms I had a while ago when I was driving on a single screen. Now with the VR most of my consistency issues are gone, my times improved by as much as 2-3 seconds.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  10. Having a single screen wont affect consistency unless your FOV is WAY off. Nor will it affect pace. Maybe some super tight corners might prove harder (COTA on iR comes to mind, but even then not that bad), but other than that... Although triples and VR would probably be much easier racing in a pack.

>has a single

11. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

You sound like a healthier version of me and I'm doing low 1m12s on hard tyres with the same wheel and pedals :p;):D (about half a second quicker thanks to Aris and also a little more consistent now). I'm a big clumsy guy with the slowest reactions you've ever seen in a human being, doesn't affect my laptimes (although it makes reacting to wrecks a bit disastrous :eek::D)

Try braking earlier and a bit less hard, use the extra braking distance to ensure your entry speed is just right and you're getting the car to the apex every time without drama ( I brake way earlier than Aris, it's an area I need to work on). This should help your consistency a lot. ;)

The important thing is always to get on the gas as early as possible and carry all that extra speed all the way down the straights. Exit speed can really be the only explanation for the difference in laptimes you're experiencing, use the Lap Delta app to give you visual indication of when you get a corner exit right, it's super useful :)

And follow Aris' advice and check your line in the replay for every lap, it's all about understanding why the laptime is slipping away... fast drivers have done all the theory and analysed their driving, put in the practice and finally reached a point where they can forget it all again and just drive. (Aliens who are just fast? Who knows?!)

Good luck, keep chipping away at it and you'll get there with a scientific analytical approach. I'm two thirds halfwit and if I can do it, you can too! :)

Having a realistic FOV across triple screens made me approx 1 second a lap faster on most circuit in most cars, I could use 45+ years of judging speed and distance in the real world and directly apply it to simracing. Not to mention the other benefits of seeing apex and corner exit points on tight corners and making it easier to race alongside other cars.

FOV affects the way we judge slip angles and slides, it's probably the most important equipment related upgrade you can make (maybe load cell brake too but I don't have one of those so I can't be sure)

Cote Dazur likes this.
  12. Tberg

Tberg Alien

@Aristotelis, very nice video, and I enjoyed your accent and outbreaks like "Look at that!!". Made me exited too :D

In case you didn´t already know, I can point to https://obsproject.com/
    Very nice tool for what you´re doing, easy to work with and cuts boring editing down to a minimum.

Cheers!

13. Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Ferdi and Ales Nocar like this.
  14. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

BMW Sports Trophy = Competition for BMW customer drivers/teams across series/classes
    BMW M235i Racing = this specific car
    BMW Sports Trophy M235i Racing Cup = Cup class with the M235i Racing car for BMW Sports Trophy participants within the VLN championship (& N24) at the Nürburgring

baboon likes this.
  15. Thanks!
    There's a Belgium Cup as well, they race at Spa, Zolder and even Zandvoort.

Cote Dazur and Epistolarius like this.
  16. mms

mms Alien

Well, then something must have hit me when I switched to VR, my FOV on the single screen was close to what that FOV tool proposed for my setup. I don't say it's the same for everyone, but before VR I was struggling with being consistent with braking points, apexes were a hit-and-miss, with VR I don't have problems with neither of them.

Fat Rich likes this.
  17. Stereo

Stereo Alien

After watching the video I went again and ran 1:13 flat with the asymmetrical tire pressure setup giving 25 psi on track all round. Session was kinda weird, I had some good laps in the middle and then towards the end my right side tires weren't heating up enough and I could only run 1:13.5s. I didn't look close at the session settings so maybe it was set too cool for the hard tires.

Biner likes this.
  18. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I did a 1.13.126 with the track set just like Aris, and like you I did not get the right tires to green temperatures even though I had 25 lbs all around.
    I was told I need to push harder to get the green tires all around, I will get back at it this week end, I still need to get better at perfecting my apex and braking, when that is better, I will be able to push more and report if I get better lap time and green tires. I am looking forward to this, the all thing, the driving, the replay watching and possibly me driving better, good times ahead.

@mms like you I was driving at 1/1 FOV before switching to VR, 1/1 Fov had been a big help in evaluating apex and elevation better, without any side effect because I was driving on a projected 98 inch diagonal screen, but VR took it to an other level as now I can also see the entrance and exit, even on thigh turns, like Hairpins, by turning my head and I can see distance because of the outstanding VR 3D.
    So yes, proper FOV helped me to be a better driver and VR took it to a step further. All that said it still does not make me as fast as you, but I am working on closing the gap.;)

mms and Biner like this.
  19. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Basicly T2 is the only turn to really generate heat in the front right tyre.
    I don't think you ever get it green. I used Aris settings, ~27C air/~35°C track and had a blue to very slightly green FR tyre.

20. liakjim

liakjim Alien

It's not really hard to beat Aris , since he is not short-shifting enough ( change at 6000 rpm ).
    Using exactly same setup/ condition :

[​IMG]

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk