1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Go faster. Basic driving techniques at Game&Track YT channel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Aristotelis, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Oh almost forgot but you reminded me.
    The high negative camber values do not apply for cars with old bias ply tyres. You need to have less camber with those. more around the -2° -1° figures.
    GPL had it almost right on that

Tim Meuris, baboon, Fat Rich and 3 others like this.
  2. Zrymer

Zrymer Gamer

Best driving tutorial video I've ever watched!

3. Sean

Sean Simracer

Thanks for these vids, really great.

Looking forward to more!

4. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

Very nice Aris thanks. Love vids from the devs!!

5. Motorsports

Motorsports Gamer

Watched the tutorial and i'm on fire ! taking a break to give my insight :

Already knew about refence point, turn in and apex, so i knew i was on the good way, great feeling.
    tried to match that 1.12-1.13 but i wasn't focused and just driving silly and end up somewhere around 1.16 ... that doesn't matter haha.

BUT : TIRE PRESSURE

What a game changer ! I'm loving it right now since i now understand thanks to that story of "legs of the same size ".
    It doesn't matter much the temps i'm getting on the tire, but the pressure should remain green basically and especially equals on the front tires and the rear tires with a little more (a psi) on the rear, AFTER MANY LAPS.
    Trying setups on the LaFerrarin, P1 & 918 on Monza and it's crazy ! look :

for the 918 : On tropheos and to get around 32 psi on the front & 33psi on the rear, i need to set the car as such : 19/23
    23/25
    And with my driving, i'll get the 32psi-33psi only after 5 laps !
    but then it remain stable as long as I drive the same way : less agressive driving or slower and my pressure changes !
    " Alright, Alright but what does that bring you ? "
    : Well, Stability under braking is much better, control too on the 918, and so i can go faster & It also makes me stop hating on the 918's driving. I'm having an easier time with P1 and LaFerrari.
    I'm at 1.46.4 now on Monza 918 !

LaFerrari, same story, but only after 3 laps & 20/23 and I'm around 1:45.5 on Monza.
    23/24

These are not fast laps i understand, but i'm very happy about the way pressure influences my driving and the cars :
    I just got an extra level of fun which is tweaking my car the right way and i bet many of us here are all too lost with settings, i don't mind admiting it !
    I can't wait for the other sections such as Aero & suspensions !

Tim Meuris, Tberg, liakjim and 3 others like this.
  6. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

Really useful video, thanks for taking the time to put it together!

I knew my lines were pretty good but I didn't know I could press F5 and use the mouse to set up a decent view of the car on track..... there are a few places where I can steal a bit more tarmac and it's eased a couple of corners for me. In particular, the most important corner on the track, the one leading to the Hangar Straight. I was a bit inconsistent there but now I can visualise exactly what I should be doing.... fantastic! :D

I'd never bothered equalising the tyre pressures before, I'm amazed at the difference it made to my times and the way the car handled, my laptimes seemed more consistent too :)

Would love more videos showcasing some lesser known features of AC and how they can be used to go faster, maybe something using the excellent Lap Delta app and experimenting with aggressive / smooth turn ins and the effect on apex speed and corner exit speed, or breaking down how to use the throttle and weight transfer to help get the car turned and adjust the line.

And some stuff on driving styles and the setup changes needed to get the best laptime, maybe start with a road car with few setup options. Then maybe further videos on more complicated cars. Plus a few fun videos showcasing the more difficult cars to drive in AC and the driving techniques to go fast.... a mixture of stuff for different skill levels.

Like you're not busy enough already! ;):p:D

Cote Dazur and Aristotelis like this.
  7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

As I was exchanging with a friend on what I really liked about this video, I thought I should also share with the community. My biggest take off that video,is that I never watched a replay of my self before. I did not really know what to look for. By watching the replay I intend to get better lines, not push harder, I believe that those better line even though they will require efforts to start with will become natural with time, living time to concentrate on the pushing harder part.
    I like how this video shows a road map to improvement, deceptively simple but highly efficient. No mambo jumbo bull **** about some elusive set up or technic, just plain no non sense advice on what really matters with a clearly stated way on how to do it. I always thought I would need some one that I can trust to watch what I am doing, to tell me how to improve. I now realize I do not, all I need is watch myself. Simple, but I never thought of it.

Tim Meuris, jaxx_za, Biner and 4 others like this.
  8. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Thank you everybody for the overwhelming comments and feedback! 350+ likes and not a single dislike must have been some kind of record for YT. Obviously somebody will dislike it now hehe :D

Thanks again guys, really really appreciate it!

OliW, TDS, Sean and 7 others like this.
  9. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I was close to disliking and deleting AC after you cut the pit exit line on an out lap :D :D

10. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

That would be advanced stuff.
    As Aris said, it's the first basics he shows that needs to be worked out.
    Although I have done the M235i on Silv. Intern. yesterday, I have to admit to not have used the replay, but I was always good with distances and width (in-game and IRL) and if I'm not using the full width I know it while driving.
    But I will definitely use the replay and F5 cam for turns that are hard to figure out or I'm having trouble with being consistant.

And I have to say, it looks so effortless how Aris did it and also keeps explaining all of it.
    I got to 1:12.3 after 4-5 laps (I always need a few laps, not like others that do it on their 1st or 2nd lap), but then it got harder beyond that. Gained a bit here and there, but had trouble to really do the clean lap.

11. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Now be prepared for some comments like: "you are doing this and that wrong", "you can be x faster in y corner if you do it like I do", "your lap time isn't that good, therefore you need some practice yourself before trying to teach someone". ;)

12. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

We have the exact same thing in music, guys who practice their instrument for years but have never recorded themselves. When they hear their playing for the first time they usually get a big shock but find out exactly what they need to work on to improve their sound.

So many parallels between music and sim racing ;)

Ace Pumpkin and Cote Dazur like this.
  13. TheBoss

TheBoss Hardcore Simmer

A pity not to understand the language of the video, I am very interested in his tutorial but lacking subtitles in Spanish.:rolleyes:

14. softslider

softslider Racer

In addition to the pedal app position, it would be appreciated to enlarge the app as big as allowed in current implementation although it's not that big. So that viewers can easily recognize your pedal input without focusing it. In my case, once I focus pedal input, it's not easy to check others at the same time due to the size. :)

FYI.
    This shows too big pedal app but it shows the pedal action although I don't see it.

V8_KB likes this.
  15. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Read through the YT comments, already there.

V8_KB likes this.
  16. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Ninja'd you (kinda)

17. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

We all know how good you are and that tutorial as clearly been labelled as not for the advanced drivers and aliens, so it is no surprise that your natural ability allowed you to be "always good with distances and width".
    Glad to read that you did not have to follow the advice in that video, but for a driver like me, this is a rare source of no non sense advice and breath of fresh air in comparison to the usual babbling from the self proclaimed expert always referring for some nebulous set ups and driving Technics as the sole source of speed.
    Who knows maybe one day, if I train hard, we will share the same lap times, but for now, just being giving a clear path to a better me make me grateful to Aristotelis for taking the time to share good and sound advice on how to be a better drivers.

Schnipp likes this.
  18. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

371 likes and still 0 dislikes, you rock Aris!;)

kofotsjanne likes this.
  19. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Well, I kind of do follow it. I'm not doing it differently than Aris, but I've already worked to get there.*

It basicly starts with watching motorsport, the difference is only 'do you watch to see the drivers and cars' or 'do you watch at what they do with the cars and try to understand why they do it'.

Of course I knew most of it already, but still it's a nice reminder to be more aware of the things that you are doing. And some things you need to be told about, like not turning in more on understeer. This I learned on a german car show that featured segments on safe driving and car control. If the car understeers the way to react is to open the steering a bit so the tyres grip again and then turn in again, which goes against your intuition. You need to get over that and do a few times, after that it becomes natural, but it's one of the things most ppl. need to have this explained.

*and after starting online racing with AC I have improved much further, because after I saw what others could do I pushed myself further than I would have done if I just have kept to hotlapping and AI racing

That's not what I meant. Some ppl. IRL have trouble the work out distances and, in the context of driving, the dimensions of their car.
    There are probably many drivers that think they are close to the curb by what the 1st person perspective indicates, but actually are still 0,5m or 1m away from where they should be.
    Just have a look while ppl. without parking sensors behave, drivers that can judge the dimensions good can maneuver very close to other cars without contacts, some ppl. leave 50cm or more space because they don't know better.
    At home we can park two cars behind each other in the garage, I don't have any aids, but I can park my car with less than 10cm distance to the wall or car ahead without touching.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    chksix and Cote Dazur like this.
  20. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

Why I like to watch this kind of basic things is because with time you focus your driving on more complicated things and start forgeting about some very simple things like watching your lines, pressure spread etc.

That's why is very usefull sometimes to return to the basics, you always find that you are missing something, and sometimes even discovering new things and wonder, what would happen if I knew this before?

In Russian there is a proverb: Live for a century, learn for a century...(and still die being stupid) :D

baboon, Schnipp and Cote Dazur like this.