1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Go faster. Basic driving techniques at Game&Track YT channel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Aristotelis, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Well, only going by logic here, havent tested to see whether or not AC has quirks but: Set pressures so hot values are in the green (do like 5 laps), then look at inside to outer temp and try to get a more or less equal range through the tyres (like 80-75-70 inside to outside) when they stabilise.

If your pressures are set correctly, then you should be good as long as the middle temps arent higher than the inside or lower than the outside, and outside temps higher than the rest or significantly lower. These can also be affected by bad pressures however, but if you're in the green there you should be fine.

kofotsjanne likes this.
  2. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

@Aristotelis this is a good effort on many levels.

First it's you as one of the main physics devs not promoting the title directly, but giving advice on driving and showing that AC is so good it can be used as a practice tool for RL. Smart.

Second, many will spend their time in this thread now rather than bickering in useless threads ;-) This is so much more "edutaining" and: this is what we're here for, after all. Not fighting over small stuff. We want to drive fast.

Third, it's just good advice you give. As a reasonably fast, non-alien driver think the video is a really good reminder of the basics. Especially your step-by-step analysis approach is appreciated.

Schnipp, Hagen and chksix like this.
  3. agrip 2

agrip 2 Gamer

New "Special event", drive like @Aristotelis.

This gave me new motivation to try a car I think I (almost) never driven. If I can be that precise and post a time somewhere around yours I'm happy.
    Have no intentions of being an alien (Nicolas Vouilloz is the only TRUE alien). I just want to have fun and this gives me a new (one more) reason to play the game.

4. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Thanks for this driving school. I'm subscribing and applying it to my driving :)

5. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

This is great when a developer makes videos like this, because every sim is different and when you are competing in a sim you need to know how it works specificaly in this sim. Because even if every sim is trying to simulate the real life all of them do it in their own way, and also is no secret that simulation is not real life, and to explain how does it work in the specific simulation (game), how accurate and how close can only a man who knows how it's done.

So what I would like to hear @Aristotelis is how the things work in AC.
    Better understanding of how it's done and how it's working means better knowledge of how to use it :)
    Very good start, and I think this video series should been started much earlier, but never is too late... ;)

A big thank you for teaching your community, this is a very imprortant thing for developing a smart and inteligent community around your product which are often times underappreciated.
    When I started seriously doing sim racing in my time a big help gave me the iRacing's Driver School video series which made me think that it was the best sim at that time.
    So it's nice that you are trying to do something similar for AC, I'm sure many new simracers which AC might be the first sim will love it even more.

I hope in the future you guys can make your own Driving School video series exclusive for AC and introducing it in the game as a separated part of the game where you can watch the video and then you have to complete a task and by completing it receive a cookie...=)) This is a good way of increasing the title's prestige and value even more.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  6. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

Very well done @Aristotelis , you made a 40min video clip entertaining and rewarding to watch! You clearly have a talent for doing this kind of stuff.

One suggestion I do have for a next episode would be a detailed analysis of the SLOW IN / FAST OUT mother of all rules, and how much more time is saved till the next braking point by coming out of the corner fast, in relation to the little time saved by braking later.
    If unexperienced simraces would start off by simply following the two basic rules of

a.) using the whole width of the track
    and
    b.) to go in slow, and come out fast

I reckon we would see much less online races with people being 4-5 seconds off pace, and becoming frustrated in the process.

So an episode covering the slow in/fast out technique would perfectly complement the first episode, and those two pieces could then be linked together, made sticky in the forum and be referred to
    from everywhere, maybe even from within the game. I think it would be most usefull.

chksix likes this.
  7. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Thank you all for your kind words and great feedback. Great advice by everybody and definitely will do every single thing you have proposed.
    Only favour I ask, spread the word and share as much as you can. The more hits and subs the channel has, the more material we can prepare and remember we are working also on videos of real cars and comparisons real to virtual with some great supercars ;)

Thanks again and keep the discussion going!

TDS, Nekrobob, jim jones and 14 others like this.
  8. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Of course I tried to apply the good advice from the video, I applied the same settings, watched particularly for the right apex and braking points, after a while I did a best of 13.126, so I still have room to get better. What is important is that I got faster, so mission accomplished.
    One thing I am curious about is that my front right tire never turned green and my right rear never got bright green.

kofotsjanne likes this.
  9. pavano

pavano Simracer

Maybe also put a link in your signature here :)

10. Aristotelis

Great news. The inner front tyre is pretty normal to stay colder.. but try to push more, both in braking and exit and you'll see the temps raise a bit more.

True, was about time to change my signature too

Cote Dazur likes this.
  11. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Just out of curiousity; how did you feel during your record? It seemed that you became really excited about it during the first minutes.
    Did you have a plan/script? Some of the references were also put together very well across several minutes.

I really want to hear you highly enjoyed it and can't stop to think about the next one. Just in case you need help with your answer ;)

chksix likes this.
  12. baboon

baboon Alien

About reference points:
    I read the book by Micheal Krumm (Driving on the Edge). He says there are two types of drivers: The 'natural' and the 'non-natural'.

He descibes the 'naturals' as drivers who do completely rely on their senses to judge distances correctly. When the driver is approaching a corner he is focusing his eyes towards the apex. The 'non-naturals' focus their eyes e.g. on a 100-metre board.
    When you ask each type where they brake: "If one seeems confused and struggles to give a precise answer, you are talking to a natural".
    If the other "[...] come back with a response such as "87 metres", you are talking to a very sophisticated non-natural."

So there are drivers who can get away without reference points. I'm one of them but there are problems. When there are other cars around and the view to the apex is blocked. Or maybe my timing is just off because I have a bad day. This makes it hard to be consistent compared to someone who uses reference points. This is why I need to combine both to go faster!

@Aristotelis
    After watching the video I was thinking that maybe it is a bit much to process for an absolute beginner. Of course there is lots of good stuff in the vid to memorize, but if they don't know a thing about weight transfer and chassis balance they might lack some context knowledge especially for the setup part.

Some ideas for the next episodes: (advanced) driving lines, Where to look on track? (FOV?) , shifting, cornering, tires, fuel consumption/use of ERS, Racecraft, Mental aspects, (advanced) setups

I'll keep on watching, even this first episode was reminding me of things I had almost forgotten.

Fabri Fibra and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  13. Aristotelis

Felt fine and had fun.
    I must admit I have plenty of experience on doing such things, because more than 10 years ago me, a great guy real driver and instructor named Franco Miniati, @ilpinguo and some other guys, organized the first virtual racing school. We had more than 1500 people attending and we were doing something like 20 people classes each evening. We arrived at a point where all the most important italian leagues asked their participants for an obligatory course at our "school"... good ol' days (yes I'm that old)

So yeah I enjoy doing these things, what is tiresome is having to do video editing, which is part of my professional background but when you have to do it often it gets boring. Luckily this format permits me to go "live" without any editing at all. Just drive and talk and this is relaxing and fun for me.

So yeah expect many more to come.

Tim Meuris, jaxx_za, TDS and 25 others like this.
  14. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Relaxing and fun for us that watch too so this is a win-win situation at its finest.

Aristotelis and baboon like this.
  15. so.. a bit of topic here, you tought some guy to copy/paste the physics now, or really made some time to record, edit, drive, etc? lol :)
    jokes aparte I really enjoyed the video, I thought it was gonna be cut/edited instead of doing the whole laps leaving the pits, etc. which is much better

I hope (we all hope I bet) you have the time to do more videos, at least 2 o 3 more, you can tell you also enjoy making them.

keep it up Aris!!

;)

16. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Is it correct to assume if temps are even theres no reason to mess around with camber or do i want as much camber as possible without the temperatures getting to much of a spread?

I hope this isnt considered offtopic since its about getting faster

17. Aristotelis

Use as much camber as possible without the temperatures getting to much spread. Also we all got some bad habits from older sims where the situation was more like a rule of thumb, add negative camber until you get a fixed spread.
    It doesn't work exactly like that in reality (and in AC up to a point). Camber is used for more grip and also balancing heating. The more the negative camber, the more the heat you can generate (because the tyre will generate lateral force even on a straight line, thus energy which equals heat.)
    So,
    1)more negative camber
    2)more heat on the tyre
    3)check the laptimes
    4)repeat until the laptimes get worse then get back a notch.

Tim Meuris, grandepunto, Turk and 7 others like this.
  18. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Thanks for the answer! Some rule about starting off with front or rear or can i do both in one go?

19. Aristotelis

Try starting with -3° front and -2°rear and go up from there.
    There are exceptions but if you think logically you'll understand why
    i.e. Porsche 911 GT3 Cup feels good at -5° front -5.5° rear... or even more. But there are sprint races of a... particular car

Epistolarius and kofotsjanne like this.
  20. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

Aaah, Indy 500 and GPL. The plan was always to get the temps equal across I M O. As you say, it doesn't work like that in reality ;)