1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How well will the Porsche 918 be simulated?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Hummingbird, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Rookie

I was wondering about how well a car as advanced as the 918 will be simulated in AC, like for example:

1) Will Porsche's four wheel steering system be simulated?
    2) Will Porsche's torque vectoring system be simulated?

The two features above are instrumental to the car's agility, allowing it to on average pull more lateral G's than its rival the McLaren P1.

[​IMG]

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec Steering Wheel Porsche 918 RSR Dec 30, 2020
    Physics Bugs & Issues Porsche 918 Spyder: straight line braking Apr 28, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Porsche 918 wrong brakes balance Mar 9, 2017
    Bug reports Porsche 918 Bad breaking performance Feb 27, 2017
    General modding discussion Porsche 918 System, help me make sense of it. Feb 25, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues AI Porsche 918/30 Spyder at Nordschleife Feb 19, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues 918 spyder weird porsche logo Jan 29, 2017
    Console Lounge Porsche 918 Spyder vs LaFerrari Nov 30, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Porsche 918 Hybrid Bug Nov 15, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Porsche 918 spyder roof Oct 30, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Porsche 918 Spyder - Quick Hybrid modes testing with AI Oct 26, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds error in log on porsche 918 spyder? Oct 26, 2016
    Console Lounge VIDEO - Assetto Corsa Porsche Pack Volume 1 - 918 Spyder Oct 20, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Chris harris on cars - laferrari v porsche 918 v mclaren p1 at portimao. Nov 19, 2015
    3D car models Porsche 918 spyder May 10, 2015

3. Nao

Nao Alien

4WS and torque vectoring (to some extent) is modeled on some cars in AC already, the only "new thing" would be the FWD/RWD dual engine system, but in principle thats even simpler to do in sim than standard AWD. So i can't see any reason for 918 to not have it. :p (getting all that to work together will be THE biggest challenge thou haha)

4. grat

grat Simracer

Well.

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Rookie

The thing is that most other cars that feature torque vectoring only have it when braking, whilst by comparison the 918 has it always i.e. when accelerating, coasting or braking. That coupled with the four wheel stearing makes the 918 incredibly agile.

I certainly hope AC will fully model all of this :)

6. NightEye

NightEye Alien

In the last stream Kunos mentioned Porsche has given the most information from all manufacturers sofar, really helping to produce the best quality. Also, "all systems" will be simulated. Not sure if that includes drive modes and stuff, but definately things you mentioned.

7. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I remember seeing a topic on F1Technical where someone said there's no proven benefit from 4ws. I'm not saying it shouldn't be simulated because of that, but I'd be interested to know why would Porsche use it if that's true.
    I believe it's already simulated on the R34, so it shouldn't be a problem.

8. Torcano

Torcano Alien

It will be front wheel drive, have leaf springs, live axles, run on a 3 cyl diesel engine and most of all have no simulation value. :p

JK, I doubt Porsche would like it if their flagship car is misrepresented in the first sim they give their license to, so I'm willing to say that it'll turn out pretty good in AC. Most of the systems are already in AC anyway as people pointed out, so no need to be worried over that deal. :D

9. Ferdi

Ferdi Hardcore Simmer

Given how well they've done with an insanely complex machine such as the SF15T, I have really good faith in Kunos to bring the best 918 possible, assuming it'll be in the pack! (if it is along the 991 GT3 RS I'd be thrilled)

ZethGAF, mister dog and Torcano like this.
  10. Rudski

Rudski Alien

This must be a stupid question (but it won't stop me asking anyways:cool:) I thought I read that it was Porsche and not Kunos modelling the cars?

11. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Why would Porsche model the cars? Of course it's Kunos.

nate likes this.
  12. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

If you mean the 3D models, there might be a possibility that Porsche already have those and would provide them to Kunos. But apart from that I don't think they'll be involved with the development of the cars for the sim.

13. Eugor

Eugor Hardcore Simmer

Someone tried to start a "rumor" that Porsche was going to allow Kunos to use the models that are used in their online configurators. Certain modders found a way to rip these models from the Porsche site and made mods for AC with them in the past. However, it wasn't ever hinted by Kunos that this was what they were going to do, and there's only a few cars that are even going to probably be included that could be used in this way. The models were also quite a bit over budget when it comes to AC standards, so they would require a lot of work anyway. That's really the only thing that I've heard about Porsche doing any modeling, and it doesn't have any real merit to it.

nate likes this.
  14. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Fair enough I must to have misunderstood what I read.

15. Warlock

Warlock Hardcore Simmer

You have torque vectoring already in game, doesn't matter is it RWD, FWD or 4WD, also you have 4WS in game, R34 and RX-7 have it. So only new thing will be dual motors, and implementation of that. Probably they are going to make 2 engine ini files separate for front and rear drivetrain.
    As far as i know 918 has electric motor in front, and one in rear combined with combustion engine. So new thing will be only separate electric motor on front axle and it's drivetrain.

Cheers...

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  16. kikie

kikie Simracer

Perfectly!

17. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

They will do every single thing that they can, to the best of their abilities, to try to simulate the 918 perfectly. Of course, "perfect" won't be possible. None of these cars in AC are 100% exactly the same as the real life versions they're trying to duplicate for this game. Look at what Kunos did with the Ferrari SF15-T. To me, it seems like Kunos went all out to duplicate the fancy systems on that real Ferrari Formula One car. I see no reason why they wouldn't try to program a representation of the "fancy systems" in the Porsche 918. Of course, they can only try to duplicate whatever Porsche gives them access/data to. In the 9 months I've been playing AC Kunos has never given me a reason to believe they would half-*** a car. So, I have no reason to believe they would start with Porsche vehicles.

18. Tacoscent

Tacoscent Racer

Can't wait to trash the LaFerrari and the Mclaren P1 on the track, just like in real life! Hopefully they have both versions, the regular 918 and the weissach.

19. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

To me it really does seem like Porsche, out of all manufacturers, is the one that least sandbags things with secrecy. For example, on Top Gear, while Ferrari and McLaren were *****ing around about comparing the three cars, Porsche was the only one that really wanted them to do it. Not to mention that after 15 years not being able to spread their brand around anything but Need for Speed, and ocasionally Forza, they must be eager to let developers recreate their products, and recreate them well.
    So I believe lack of information from Porsche won't be a problem.

NightEye likes this.
  20. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Porsche knows they can beat any other car, don't they? ;) They've had to push a car with the engine in the wrong place to be their top tier model. At the same time that model - the 911 - had to be better than its competitors...and it was/is. They are so good that their cars beating the opponent's track tools still feel comfy in everyday use, need less fuel and are more reliable.

The only thing car magazines ever find to criticize Porsches is their lack of emotion s. They might be right but everything else is what's called "Qualität" ;-)
    So I'm not surprised they give away the test cars and data they have because they know they're way ahead of the competition.
    The cooperation with Knuos will boost AC and Porsche big time, that's for sure.

21. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

I think it was at Laguna Seca where MotorTrend was running the Porsche 918 against the McLaren P1. When it came time for the head to head test, Porsche basically tossed them the keys and said "There ya go...Hope ya enjoy it!" while McLaren insisted on a team of engineers to be present to "make sure the car was setup properly". :rolleyes: The 918 spanked the P1, McLaren people cried and complained that they didn't have the right tires on the P1. I'm assuming they meant the Trofeo R's. So, they waited for a shipment of Trofeo R's to come in, put them on, re-ran their laps and still couldn't beat the time set by Porsche.

Take that however ya want. Personally, I believe all three cars in the Holy Trinity are insane and amazing. If I were offered, I would take any one and be equally happy among the choices. With a gun to my head, I think I would probably order my personal preference: P1, LaFerrari, 918. Even though I've seen the P1 lose some tests to the others, it has also won some. The Ferrari is probably the best looking of the three, in my opinion, but the other two ain't too far behind in that aspect either.