1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Off-track 5 Second Penalty

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FerrariMan96, Nov 13, 2013.

?

What do you think of the current penalty system (with the 5 second throttle-cut)?

1. I like it and it should stay as it is

7.1%
  2. I think it is good but it is currently too harsh

4.8%
  3. I think a two-stage penalty system should be used instead (see below)

12.1%
  4. I think only 'invalidated laps' should be used as a penalty, like in the tech preview

49.5%
  5. I think there shouldn't be any penalties at all for track limits, apart from serious corner cutting

26.6%
  1. Has kunos said anything about the penalty system changing or is it just us lot in the thread suggesting ideas?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

2. Ricky Reject

Ricky Reject Hardcore Simmer

Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

At first I didnt think the current penalty system was such a big deal, but it's a pure hazard in multiplayer races with people rejoining the race or accidently bounce back onto the track, and have means to get out of the way or up to speed again.

3. krs2

krs2 Rookie

Seriously, they do.

I should start with a positive and say the game is awesome.

However, I am struggling to see the logic behind the slow-down penalty. It's not too hard to drive within the limits of the track, but every so often you will get barged off the track, take a slow down penalty, then while rejoining the track get rear ended by someone because there is no acceleration. The difference in speeds at this point is ridiculous, people do not expect a car to be going so slow. It really is terrible when this happens and not what I would expect in a 'sim' (this **** does not happen in real life).

A warning system would be much better, disqualification after a few excursions off track or something. This would allow the flow of the race to keep its momentum and any penalties are dealt with afterwards.

Also is it possible to show more information about the race during qualifying? Just basically the length of the race as at the moment I'm qualifying on low fuel and having to adjust on the grid/change tyres etc, sometimes there is very little time to do this.

I don't want to appear too negative as this game really is fantastic, just had a few bad races because of this penalty bs when it wasn't my fault.

cerebus23 likes this.
  4. iVG

iVG Alien

That's the only way to stop people from cutting massively Monza and Silverstone dude. Honestly, if you get a penalty don't rejoin the track like a major donkey ball and wait until the road is clear.

Shaddix, Michael Hornbuckle and Jekay like this.
  5. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Gamer

+1

6. Jos_theboss

Jos_theboss Hardcore Simmer

agreed, its an arcadish way of giving a driver a penalty. luckily you can turn it off though.

7. TAM Spencer

TAM Spencer Simracer

@krs2 does have a point, somtimes someone will get a penalty like slight cutting and still stay on track, all of a sudden the car right in front loses throttle and you end up rear ending them.

A choice of penalty would be very handy, maybe time added at the end of the race or a set limit of penalties before a disqualification because entire grid pile ups due to the current penalties can get frustrating.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  8. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I think giving you a few seconds to comply so you can move offline and then back off would be good. That's the way iRacing handles penalties I think.

Sanctions from real world racing just don't work in the virtual form, especially on open servers. Punishments need to be instant, unfortunately that's just the way it is.

TAM Spencer likes this.
  9. TAM Spencer

TAM Spencer Simracer

I dont disagree with you to be honest, however realistic I want a sim to be, real world penalties dont always work online.

But we need a penalty system that has no impact on the other drivers on track.

10. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Sanctions like drive through penalties for repeated track cuts would be great in a league environment.

11. it would be nice if you could select penalties enabled/disabled by sessions, for qualify session i would enable penalties but for race session i would disable it since it doesn't really help at all. it would have been better to have designed the penalty system by track sectors, like in chicanes only and on the inside/outside of the corners, but not all the way, since if you are seriously racing you won't be driving on the grass to make faster times, if even possible, but when cutting is involved, some kind of penalty should be able to be enabled. Though in league racing and with serious people if someone cuts by mistake he would probably give back the gained place.

12. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Just implement this again:
    Just copy and paste from techdemo, no?

Ben Lee likes this.
  13. Doge

Doge Simracer

Realistic Flag system is what we need.

Chequered flag
    Indicates to drivers that the session has ended. During practice and qualifying sessions it is waved at the allotted time, during the race it is shown first to the winner and then to every car that crosses the line behind him.

Yellow flag
    Indicates danger, such as a stranded car, ahead. A single waved yellow flag warns drivers to slow down, while two waved yellow flags at the same post means that drivers must slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary. Overtaking is prohibited.

Green flag
    All clear. The driver has passed the potential danger point and prohibitions imposed by yellow flags have been lifted.

Red flag
    The session has been stopped, usually due to an accident or poor track conditions.

Blue flag
    Warns a driver that he is about to be lapped and to let the faster car overtake. Pass three blue flags without complying and the driver risks being penalised. Blue lights are also displayed at the end of the pit lane when the pit exit is open and a car on track is approaching.

Yellow and red striped flag
    Warns drivers of a slippery track surface, usually due to oil or water.

Black with orange circle flag
    Accompanied by a car number, it warns a driver that he has a mechanical problem and must return to his pit.

Half black, half white flag
    Accompanied by a car number, it warns of unsporting behaviour. May be followed by a black flag if the driver does not heed the warning.

Black flag
    Accompanied by a car number, it directs a driver to return to his pit and is most often used to signal to the driver that he has been excluded from the race.

White flag
    Warns of a slow moving vehicle on track.

Shaddix, Ben Lee and osy1950 like this.
  14. krs2

krs2 Rookie

It's also worth noting that a huge advantage can be gained in certain places by cutting the track, even while taking the penalty. Which renders the 'penalty' useless. Haven't read the whole thread so this might have already been mentioned.

15. mike9572

mike9572 Racer

I would suggest an adaptative penalty time, especially on some tracks like Monza:
    Cutting chicane at:
    1st case: <100kph = 5 seconds penalty.
    2nd case: 100 to 200kph= 10 seconds penalty.
    3rd case: >200kph = 20 seconds penalty.

The "get rid of penalty if <50kph" feature would apply only in 1st case.

16. Filippo94

Filippo94 Alien

Just readed the last post (not entire thread), but just want to point out that I think it's wrong to use absolute speed limit. On a 500 Abarth 200 kph are really hight, near to top speed, and the actual 50 kph limit is not so heavy as penality with this car.

As on the Exos T125 a penality to 50 kph is A LOT, if I go out of track for a bad control of the car (too low grip exiting from the hi speed turn?), 50 kph limit is really heavy as penality.

It should use top estimated speed from gearbox, for example, so you canuse speed as reference using percentage, as 10%, 20% and 50%, for example...

17. Turk

Turk Alien

I'm sure we'll get a full flag system in the final version but it would be great if they could do something about the 5 second penalty before then. Even if it was applied after the race it would be better. The speed difference on penalised cars is causing mayhem in races.

18. alex72

alex72 Alien

I wish Kunos could add the 5 seconds to our final time instead of the slowdown. Even if it was as a bandaid before proper penalty system. It would mean tighter races online. When someone touch grass they are slowed down and loose the fight completely.

19. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I think any other system would require additions to the tracks in the shape of penalty "zones". I believe that's how it worked in games like gtr2 etc. You setup a zone then set a speed threshold. If you go through that zone above the threshold, you got a penalty. See Monza in gtr2. You can cut the first turn, but only at about 10-20 mph, anything above that and it's an automatic penalty. For that to work though needs these zones added to the tracks that need it.

20. Robnitro

Robnitro Rookie

Hi,
    Just bought the game after some dabbling in "demos" and I love it.

I have been doing the career mode which is fun.
    However, the penalties are quite ridiculous.
    If I lose control and run on the SLOWER outside of the corner I have this 5 second penalty, which to me is not a good thing, but guess what, like in Vallelunga, the outside of some corners does not set off penalty!

So, if really the area is slower, why make a penalty????

victor86 likes this.