1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Off-track 5 Second Penalty

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FerrariMan96, Nov 13, 2013.

?

What do you think of the current penalty system (with the 5 second throttle-cut)?

1. I like it and it should stay as it is

7.1%
  2. I think it is good but it is currently too harsh

4.8%
  3. I think a two-stage penalty system should be used instead (see below)

12.1%
  4. I think only 'invalidated laps' should be used as a penalty, like in the tech preview

49.5%
  5. I think there shouldn't be any penalties at all for track limits, apart from serious corner cutting

26.6%
  1. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

Hi all,

I just want to voice my opinion by saying that I personally detest this 5 second penalty thing. I think that it has its place, but it is too harsh at the moment.

I propose something like this: Firstly, if you actually commit a 'bad' driving offence (e.g. actually cutting off a corner, rather than running wide), then this 5 second penalty should exist as is. However, for just running a bit wide, I think it is way too harsh. More importantly, I find it makes it hard to enjoy the game when you're hot lapping around to your heart's content. Don't get me wrong - I'm loving AC, however this really bugs me. For example, when I come around the Silverstone National Circuit's first corner slightly too fast, I and manage to get 4 wheels off the road, I think definitely my time should get invalidated for that (as in the Tech Preview), however to get this 5 second throttle cutoff I find plain annoying. It's a sim, which by extension is really a game, so I'm here to have fun - something I'm not doing when I keep getting my throttle cut for 5 seconds because I got some oversteer in the middle of the corner, and went off track after over correcting.

Now, what I'm not saying is to remove the penalty system entirely - it needs to be there, it just needs modifications. For example, in a hot lap competition, there is no-one cares if their lap is invalidated because they run too wide - it would be unreasonable to not accept that. However if your throttle is cut for 5 seconds, it feels like an eternity of not having fun. If your lap was simply invalidated, and didn't count, then there would be certainly no advantage in terms of competition to the offending driver, it only means that it doesn't annoy them. In a racing environment (online/with AI) I would suggest two stages of penalties: The first stage would be a simple lap invalidated, from running wide etc. and perhaps if a player runs wide too often (e.g. 3 laps in a row), then they should get a '5 second throttle cut' for repeat offences. For the second stage, I think the 5 second throttle cut should remain, but only for more 'serious' track limits offences (e.g. actually 'cutting' a corner).

Some may think I'm nitpicking, but I'm sure there are others who agree with me. Let me know what the rest of you think in the poll.

Anuj, tombax338, gandlers and 4 others like this.

2. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I agree with you for final version but you can disable it for now by going to Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg and open the race.ini with notepad and change the "ALLOWED_TYRES_OUT" from 2 to -1

I'd prefer if the count matched the time your tyres were off the track, ie if your tyres were off track for 0.3 seconds then there is a 50kph limit for 0.3 seconds or until you rejoin the track.

You also have a problem when racing against AI or MP if someone else shoves you off track. There should be no penalty for this or even a penalty given to the offending driver?!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

Ah thanks for that, I was looking for a tweak like that but I couldn't find it. Just out of interest, any idea what the 'other' values do? (One would assume that 2 and -1 are legitimate values, then at least 1 and 0 would be too...)

4. Esrever

Esrever Rookie

[quote="bigbawmcgraw, post: 16396, member: 6234"Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg and open the race.ini with notepad and change the "ALLOWED_TYRES_OUT" from 2 to -1![/quote]

I've changed ALLOWED_TYRES_OUT" from 2 to -1, but I still get a penalty when off track.
    Any idea?

5. Felice Pugliese

Felice Pugliese Hardcore Simmer

I agree with you! The solution is to cancel lap because the slowdown in addition to break the rhythm is frustrating, many times I leave the track because I'm tired of this system, DELETE LAP is the solution!

6. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I've changed ALLOWED_TYRES_OUT" from 2 to -1, but I still get a penalty when off track.
    Any idea?[/quote]

Don't know, works for me.
    I presume you closed the file and saved then restarted the game?

7. Ruskyv

Ruskyv Gamer

I too think that the lap should be made invalid. With no time penalty. To be punted off by AI and then end up with a corner cut penalty will cause alot of frustration.

tombax338 and paulieGTR like this.
  8. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

Hang on, let's hope we don't get punted off by the AI in the first place! :p

You're right though. It is frustrating.

paulieGTR likes this.
  9. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

My fear is the KS dev team have spent so much time and effort giving us such detailed cars/tracks/physics etc, that they may not put as much time into the MP side of things when it comes to penalties/cheats/hacks etc. I hope and pray I am proved wrong though.

10. Adrian J.

Adrian J. Gamer

The Iracing system is perfect,

You stay in control of the car ( the software taking over seems arcade to me )

But the spotter warns you & you have to slow down for a set time period or come into pits for a stop go , you get disqualified if you don't slow or pit

Tony74, ChokDK, 7TeeNein and 8 others like this.
  11. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

Don't like the 5sec, it's not realistic,

In real life lap would be invalidated and if you cut all the tine you get drive through, stop and go and eventually black flag

Agree on iracing tech too, if you cut corner and/or pass to overtake while cutting, you should remain in control and be given warning to slow down , give place back, and if not penalty or black flag

Since it's simulator, it shoud simulate real life, no arcadish stuff please

Tony74, Spark 2, tombax338 and 13 others like this.
  12. Cranck

Cranck Hardcore Simmer

change the "ALLOWED_TYRES_OUT" from 2 to 4, and there aren't penaltys, "tested in practice session"

13. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

Invalid lap times should be enough HOWEVER, under RACE conditions more than 2 wheels off the tarmac repeatedly on the same spot or a couple of times in a row should be dealt with a drive-through penalty.

It happens IRL, btw.

Tony74, Spark 2, CooMoo and 6 others like this.
  14. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

Yeah, I'm totally against it. Give me an invalidated lap, or a drive-through penalty. Don't take control away from me. It's a pretty arcadish feature.

Aside from removing control and breaking immersion, it also prolongs the process of getting back onto the track in the first place.

15. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

same here, it's called simulator for a reason :) leave the 5sec penatly and ghots to games like Grid

16. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Alien

Agree with every one, Loose the 5 sec penalty.

17. joethepunk

joethepunk Gamer

5 second penalty is definetly too arcady,this is afterall,NOT Codemasters,though I would say "masters of code":)

18. Alexease

Alexease Gamer

The throttle-cut little-bit simcade style:)
    The invalided lap (and maybe iRacing time-penality-style) is OK.

19. yeah, leave the x seconds to more arcade games and iRacing... some kind of warning should be ok at first even if it is a display, that doesn't block your vision (WARNING - OFF TRACK, NEXT TIME DRIVE THROUGH PENALTY) some thing like that.?
    toca 3 did something like that, first time off track or crashing a car from behind it was a warning, then some kind of penalty that i can't remember.

20. StevieThomas

StevieThomas Rookie

The choice wasn't in the list but i think a verbal or visual sound, warning , alert or flashing text to slowdown or disqualify lap or entire session.