1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Off-track 5 Second Penalty

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FerrariMan96, Nov 13, 2013.

?

What do you think of the current penalty system (with the 5 second throttle-cut)?

1. I like it and it should stay as it is

7.1%
  2. I think it is good but it is currently too harsh

4.8%
  3. I think a two-stage penalty system should be used instead (see below)

12.1%
  4. I think only 'invalidated laps' should be used as a penalty, like in the tech preview

49.5%
  5. I think there shouldn't be any penalties at all for track limits, apart from serious corner cutting

26.6%
  1. Madsen

Madsen Hardcore Simmer

we'll see :rolleyes:

2. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

This is one of the most annoying and esiest things to do right - for the Hot Lap: no penalty, just invalidate the lap, like Gran Turismo has it. It works best.

3. BigTool4U

BigTool4U Racer

Please Kunos, remove the penalty, especially in the AI races: it's hateful to see a good race ruined only because I went long to a curve and I put two wheels on grass!!!

massimo0vacca likes this.
  4. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

Well hang on people, the 5 second thing is better than nothing. Sure I hope they replace it as a matter of urgency with long cut (eg first chicane at Monza) is drive through or invalidated lap, and shorter cut all 4 wheels leave race track by less than a meter is 2 warnings then drive through. However without the 5 second rule the hotlaps and racing becomes a pointless cheat fest.

Give the devs a chance to implement something better before shouting from the rooftops. I was just driving and it seems the 5 second rule has been replaced by nothing, that seems actually worse.

5. The 5 second thing is gone from the AI races, but you can now cheat to your hears content. So what is the lesser of 2 evils or how can it be replaced.

6. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

if people want to cheat then leave them to it, pointless having the sim really but each to there own, something will be in place by the time MP is implemented and then there lack of skill and staying on track will be there for all to see, personally I don't give a monkeys about someone cheating there way through career mode, its there choice to cheat themselves out of a proper experience

FerrariMan96 likes this.
  7. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

^Agree with @Tucker73, although as I stated when I started this thread I don't want the system gone, just changed to something more realistic/less intrusive to the experience. Part of the problem is that I want to be penalised for gaining an advantage at a corner illegitimately (as real race car drivers do, push the boundaries - e.g. By running wide on the exit of Ascari at Monza), and perhaps see the AI punished too by having them push the boundaries. Then when MP comes it will be especially important that something is enforced.

So I'm happy that it's gone for now, but hopefully getting rid of it is a short term solution.

Rui Santos likes this.
  8. BigTool4U

BigTool4U Racer

I'm glad that the 5s/50Kmh penalty was finally removed from the AI races, it was like a cheat that favoured the AI, now I hope that in the future we will go back to the invalid lap penalty in hotlap mode like in the techpreview and every other sim.

9. I'm sorry but that made me lol. The penalty was in AI races less than two days.

10. BigTool4U

BigTool4U Racer

"finally" because finally something is changing.:p
    As I wrote in my previous posts I simply hate that type of penalty.

11. I thought the penalty was harsh enough that it would teach people to stay on track and not cut corners and run exits wide.

12. BigTool4U

BigTool4U Racer

It's still a game and the penalty shouldn't limit the fun, especially when the player is disadvantaged compared to the AI.
    Same thing in the hotlap mode: an invalidated lap could be still instructive, a lap with a 5s/50Kmh penalty it's only a waste of time.

Of course IMO. ;)

FUORIGIRI likes this.
  13. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

This is true, but I think it's too harsh. You see even F1 drivers may lock a brake and run wide, but they don't loose very much time (compared to if their throttle was cut for 5 seconds). The real problem with the penalty was that it penalised mistakes as well as cheating - a mistake is a penalty in itself so to penalise it even more is both silly and annoying.

FUORIGIRI likes this.
  14. With no penalty in practice how do you know if you cut the corner or ran too wide on exit? In my opinion the severity of the penalty was to make you not do it again...for example, if lap after lap you are getting the penalty for going to wide on the exit of turn 1 at Silverstone you will start taking the corner differently so as to not get the penalty; once MP is out you will be in the habit of not running the exit wide.....with no penalty alot of people will think that running past the rumble strips is the correct way. (I use this as an example because by running the exit wide you don't have to get out of the gas as much on corner entry which will make passing much easier than if you had to stay within the rumble strip on exit)

I just thought the penalty would teach people to drive within the track and MP would be that much cleaner with people knowing the boundaries. Now that people can drive anywhere they want to beat the AI many of them will develop sloppy habits that they will bring to the MP side when it is released. And MP will for sure take longer to release now that the devs have to figure out some way to give everybody several chances to cheat before they are penalized like everybody seems to want.

Rui Santos likes this.
  15. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

Had to vote that it is harsh.

There is no option for drive through or stop/go penalty which is how I think it should work in race condition for repeated offences.
    Invalidating the lap is enough for hot lapping
    The 5 second rule is simply annoying when practicing, and if you get run off the track during a race will be unfair to punish the victim.

16. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

I know what you're saying, but the way that it is implemented is just too 'annoying' for me. Of course everyone has their own views, but I find that an invalidated lap is enough as it is in terms of "enforcing the mistake". You may or may not be right about MP, but I think that it would need to be done at some point anyway. There are other problems the penalty could create in MP too, such as when a driver gets it he will come back to the track as quickly as possible (to get rid of it), possibly impeding other drivers because he'll be going much slower. Even worse, if someone runs just slightly wide (as in just slightly over the 'trigger point' - T5 at the Silverstone International Circuit is a place where it's very easy to do so) and there are other cars following closely (but don't run quite as wide) they may pile into him because he unexpectedly slows down.

17. I think the slow down penalty still needs to be there but you should have 15 or 20 seconds to serve the penalty before the game kills your throttle for you. With no penalty at all (or several free passes) a person could gain a huge advantage going wide in T5 at Silverstone International.

18. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

I wasn't suggesting no penalty at all, just that it needed to be different ;)

I agree that this is a much better solution. I still believe in the more "realistic" penalty system, but as a much simpler system to implement, this would be a better solution than the current version of the "throttle cut", because you can pull off the racing line and then do it - however, instead of a 5-second throttle cut, I would suggest that the driver has to bring the car to a dead stop, because otherwise they could wait until they got to the next corner and serve the penalty under braking.

19. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Hardcore Simmer

IMO cutting/going wide should invalidate your lap in practice/hotlap mode, in race mode (AI or MP) you should get a warning, after 2/3 you have a drive through or stop&go penalty, also the engine should calculate if you gained time or just being pushed offtrack because sometimes you lose time going wide...

It also should be optional when setting MP rules...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Snarffu and bigbawmcgraw like this.
  20. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

I agree, but the problem is that this requires a lot more (difficult) coding and time spent by the devs. Good solution, but we'll see what they do.

Rui Santos likes this.