1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Off-track 5 Second Penalty

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FerrariMan96, Nov 13, 2013.

?

What do you think of the current penalty system (with the 5 second throttle-cut)?

1. I like it and it should stay as it is

7.1%
  2. I think it is good but it is currently too harsh

4.8%
  3. I think a two-stage penalty system should be used instead (see below)

12.1%
  4. I think only 'invalidated laps' should be used as a penalty, like in the tech preview

49.5%
  5. I think there shouldn't be any penalties at all for track limits, apart from serious corner cutting

26.6%
  1. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

This is essentially what happens in R07 and it works quite well mostly. There are some instances where it isn't quite right though, namely when you get punted off in T1 Monza and get a stop & go penalty through no fault of your own, but most people know where the flaws are.
    It does seem to register if you have gained any time or not and gives you 2 warnings but if you deliberately cut a chicane you are given an instant stop & go penalty.
    It is doable.

Rui Santos likes this.
  2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Hardcore Simmer

Another VERY IMPORTANT thing is the working Blue Flag ( letting fast drivers pass in the next two corners for example) as we had some bugs in rFactor that (mostly) ruined races because some guys just don't respect it...

3. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Again, already replicated in R07.
    3 warnings of blue flag then you're DQ'd
    You really should try R07 if you haven't already lol ;)

Rui Santos likes this.
  4. Rui Santos

Lol, i'm just trying to focus on what it's important for future and for Assetto Corsa, because it's VERY important for the healthiness of online races, i know some sims really had good penalty systems, they should pick what worked well in some of them ;)

bigbawmcgraw likes this.
  5. Without pit stops the races should be short enough that nobody should get lapped.....And I don't think I have ever seen somebody in real life get DQ'ed for ignoring a blue flag.

6. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Yup, I think that's what we all want :)

Rui Santos likes this.
  7. Rui Santos

In 30 minute races YES it's possible to lap slowest drivers and in MP virtual racing respecting blue flags not to ruin fastest guys race is a MUST!

8. Why is respecting a blue flag in the real world a courtesy yet in virtual world it's a must? It's nice when a lapped car gets out of the way but in no way is it mandatory. The blue flag is just a notification that faster traffic is approaching; it is completely up to the slower driver to adhere and give way or to be an *** and take the preferred line....either way it is the fast guys job to find a way to get by...

9. Rui Santos

Lol, end of conversation with you...

Snarffu likes this.
  10. AnssiH

AnssiH Gamer

Yeah you can ignore the blue flag, but then you get a black flag and that you can't ignore :D

Seriously though, it is actually mandatory in most series, probably in all professional series. In F1 you get a penalty for ignoring three flags, that typically means you have 3 corners to make room, and that does mean getting out of the racing line.

Although there has been semi-serious talks about changing it so there are no blue flags at all. At least it would bring another interesting strategical element to the races, but also some pretty frustrating and unfair situations, especially in places like Monaco.

Rui Santos likes this.
  11. I'm just saying, I have never seen a driver in any series in real life get black flagged for ignoring a blue flag....I'm not saying it hasn't ever happened, I just have never witnessed it.
    I also find it funny that somebody can be against a slow down penalty for cutting the corner or running the exit wide and wants three or four warnings before getting a penalty yet wants a lapper DQ'ed if he doesn't get out of the way within a couple turns.

12. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I think it's preferred that the slower driver stays on the racing line unless it's safe to move off it (different for qualifying though), just so the following driver knows where he should be and can overtake him.
    Other games do deal with these things quite well, but cutting the throttle for 5 seconds is just so unrealistic. It is little things like this which will make or break the game for most online players who want a proper sim.

Darren Blythe and Rui Santos like this.
  13. AnssiH

AnssiH Gamer

It doesn't happen too often because it would only happen by driver mistake, i.e. not paying attention to blue flags. In most series the team would also be shouting into your ear if you are not noting the blue flag, and the stewards often let little lapses slide if they don't occur repeatedly to the same driver. There are probably only 5-10 penalties like this per season in F1.

Then of course there was the famous incident when Eddie Irvine was a rookie, and was having a fight of his own in front of race-leading Senna in Suzuka. Irvine didn't let Senna pass in a hurry, and before the race ended Irvine even unlapped himself back to the leading lap because Senna was moving slower. Irvine got his penalty after the race; a punch in the face from Senna :D

I think what people really want is just that mistakes would not get punished, only time gains. A lift-off system would do that.
    And yeah DQ is a bit harsh. In real life a repeated offender would just get a drive through or time penalty after the race, but there are also mitigating circumstances, such as, your pace was not demonstrably slower than the lead car, and you were having a fight of your own.

Once in GTR2 in a drying track race, I was driving with absolutely blown intermediate tires trying to get to a cross-over point for slick tires, while my team mate had already decided to get new intermediates and was moving probably 1-2 seconds a lap faster, right behind me, at the previous lap. I let my team mate back onto the lead lap, and almost caused him to get a penalty by the stupid blue flag system which thought I was trying to pass him. I had to ease off enough for the blue flag to disappear, losing precious extra seconds (A very sinking feeling when I was in a terrible hurry; I knew the lead had different strategy to mine and that I should catch it up in the very final stages of the race).

So the lesson to be learned there, a real life blue flag system would also be extremely complex thing to implement...

Darren Blythe likes this.
  14. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

It doesn't happen very often, because race drivers know to obey it. I haven't seen a DQ, but in race penalties have been served. Adrian Sutil got a drive-through during the Canadian GP this year (and he wasn't happy because he thought it was an unjust penalty).

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/06/09/sutils-criticises-inconsistent-fia-after-penalty/

Snarffu and Rui Santos like this.
  15. Rui Santos

+1000000000000 ;)

16. BigTool4U

BigTool4U Racer

OK, with the 0.6 update the 5s/50Kmh penalty was reintroduced in the quickrace events, that's sad since IMO it's a step back.
    But for example there isn't any penalty if you drive in the wrong direction: isn't this ridiculous?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  17. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

yes....driving the wrong way is ridiculous, you can turn the penalty system off if you like

18. BigTool4U

BigTool4U Racer

...but disabling achievements and the saving of the best lap, so it's a not useful option.

19. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

Well otherwise you could cheat. I still hope it's a temporary solution but it is at least better that you can choose.

Rui Santos likes this.
  20. dr.solveberg

dr.solveberg Racer

What I'm wondering is, why do you get a penalty when you run too wide and slightly touch the gravel/grass on the outside?