1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Off-track 5 Second Penalty

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FerrariMan96, Nov 13, 2013.

?

What do you think of the current penalty system (with the 5 second throttle-cut)?

1. I like it and it should stay as it is

7.1%
  2. I think it is good but it is currently too harsh

4.8%
  3. I think a two-stage penalty system should be used instead (see below)

12.1%
  4. I think only 'invalidated laps' should be used as a penalty, like in the tech preview

49.5%
  5. I think there shouldn't be any penalties at all for track limits, apart from serious corner cutting

26.6%
  1. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Going back to the OP, in practice you don't get a 5 second penalty for going off track.

2. TCLF

TCLF Alien

but the op is talking about the hotlap mode

3. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

It was in answer to this....

4. TCLF

TCLF Alien

O sorry, I thought that you ment back to the OP

5. kalabaleek

kalabaleek Simracer

Ah, right. There we go.

6. I think when you play with both wheels out would have to anularte around. although let 5 seconds with speed is the same. I also think that this anger improving part, (for if you step on sand is not the same as land or pasture).

7. magicaldog

magicaldog Guest

I really thought that the "Off-track 5 Second Penalty" was just a temporary thing because it does not relate to reality :rolleyes:

When you leave the track you're automatically slower and if you drive straight through a chicane it's a clear case of invalid lap !

Patrik Marek likes this.
  8. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

Best way when cutting (or what ever thats not legal):

- in practice: no penalties what so ever, as long as the laptimes aren`t recoreded (in case if they are, same as per hotlap mode)
    - in hotlap mode: stop the clock (and reset it, like this lap does not count)
    - in qually: same as per hotlap more
    - in race: like in reality, 2 warnings, next cutting that follows is a drive through (or 10, or even 5 seconds stop&go - this one will be used in F1 in 2014)

As simple as that.

Rui Santos likes this.
  9. Dwardu

Dwardu Rookie

I can see how this would be nice for multi player, but does this really need to be active on practice mode?

Can't the lap time just get invalidated? Its really annoying trying to learn new car/track when it just cuts the gas out all of a sudden and turns your small mistake into a large spin...

10. AC Support

AC Support Official Support Staff Member KS Dev Team

Please use the search function before posting.

11. I am not aware of any racing series using this in real life.
    I think that if you put so much effort in creating the most realistic simulator,
    the obvious way to go is to implement the rules (flags and penalties) as used in
    real racing series.

This means (for a number of series) no penalty in practice, in qualification you
    move to the end of the grid and in the race you will be awarded a drive-through
    if leaving the track gaining an advantage. Or adopt any other set of rules from
    one of the series that you guys seem suitable.

In most of the leagues where I participated, there was an unwritten rule that
    you gotta keep 2 wheels on track. As a part in this, detecting leaving the track
    with all 4 would be valuable (in a race report or something)

Patrik Marek likes this.
  12. AnssiH

AnssiH Gamer

Don't forget though that you can't just give drive through penalties without giving the driver a chance to ease off and give back the time they gained.

Detecting that is slightly tricky, and that's the reason why realistic rules have not been implemented in any racing game yet. It's possible to do it, the only question is, is it worth building the necessary system for it. That's why I posted;
    http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/suggestion-for-corner-cutting-detection.4587/

Personally, I would love to have that even in league races if it was implemented well enough to not be intrusive. I noticed in iRacing they have something sort of like this, it's just not very accurate. It requires you to slow down a lot more than necessary (a lot more than they slow down in real races), and the detection allows some corner cutting still.

-Anssi

Patrik Marek likes this.
  13. Nao

Nao Alien

Just read some posts on another forum that 5-second penalty should not be enforced in practice in current patch. As i have it active for quite a long time now, I thought it was a normal feature.
    Reeding more on the issue only got me some conflicting answers, but from what i understand it shouldn't be in practice anymore in the current patch.

What's confusing me more is that I just recently i did steam cache integrity verification (was trying to resolve HDR issues) which should resolve problem like this, but the penalty still is in effect in practice mode.
    Should i try reinstalling the whole game or is it a feature working as intended?

ps: Oh just to be sure as somebody suggested in other thread I tried uninstalling RSR timing app but it didn't change anything.

14. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

Theres been a lot of discussion regarding the cut track penalty, and some very very good points for and against.

I hope this will get some clarification to the devs and our community who voice their opinions what is really wanted. I do think this needs to be rectified as this does take realism away from the sim.

Personally i can see the throttle cut as being bad, in an ai race or mp, you can get the penaylty and an unnoticed driver from the rear will just back end you cause you will come to a sudden stop on the side of the track.. Also can ruin momentum on your next hot lap?!

I think the time added penalty will work, because if you make penalise by adding 30 secs, and you cheat in a race, you can possibly lose a position or 2 by the end of the race. Maybe in AI races you can set the penalty yourself.

PLease cast your vote/post respectably.....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  15. OffAgain

OffAgain Simracer

Vote for Other Method here. Personally, I'd like to see the following, or something like it at least.

For sessions in which the objective is to set a lap time (qualifying, hot lapping, etc), just discount the lap. In addition, where tracks have a hehe-sneaky cut available in place which would allow more speed to be carried into a subsequent lap, add some sort barrier (Big Bit of Polystyrene or whatever) to close off that shortcut that's toggled according to session type. It might not be there in real life, but a simulated styrofoam steward seems like a handy bit of fakery in this case.

For race situations, it gets a bit trickier insofar as the system needs to distinguish between cutting the course to gain an advantage and merely taking an unplanned trip to see Mother Nature. Cuts need to be penalised with some sort of black flag system (give up X seconds and any places gained within Y seconds or you get a stop-go), whereas other off track excursions merely need to be noted - the time lost, possible damage incurred, and inherent embarrassment of bouncing along the grass should be enough. Yes, it's a bit more effort as zones would need to be defined in the track models, but it would at least remove the insult to injury effect of losing time, hurting the car, and then being penalised for it. In a multiplayer scenario, some means of alerting the server admins to vehicles leaving the track, such as a live text log of incidents combined with lil' flags on the replay timeline (add these for vehicle collisions as well for extra happiness), would assist admins in dealing with issues. Make the penalty system configurable / disableable in a multiplayer scenario, and offer server admins the ability to hand out penalties (stop-gos, drive throughs, parks, subtract laps, etc) manually and things would look really rather golden.

I also demand my own private island with it's own nuclear deterrent, but that's not really within the scope of the sim.

Patrik Marek likes this.
  16. This is actually my biggest pet peev in AC (although minor) and it really breaks immersion as I often go to meet mother nature. In practice or hotlap, it should just invalidate the lap and in competition you should just be given a incident score and give up time gained similar to iRacing.

17. TCLF

TCLF Alien

this is the only thing I'm annoyed about with AC. The 5 sec 50kmh penalty. It just puts me out of flow and it's unrealistic. I suggest to do it to either time penalty or lap invalid.

18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Hardcore Simmer

What i think it should be priority too is to fine tune the blue flag, disqualifying those who don't respect it, because in rFactor for example it has bugs and because of that some guys don't respect blue flags which is very annoying and ruins the fun of racing IMHO...

Patrik Marek likes this.
  19. Madsen

Madsen Hardcore Simmer

if you cut the corner your car should explode :p

nah just kidding ;)

softgrip and Remco Tissink like this.
  20. how is it going to be when racing against AI?