1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Off-track 5 Second Penalty

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FerrariMan96, Nov 13, 2013.

?

What do you think of the current penalty system (with the 5 second throttle-cut)?

1. I like it and it should stay as it is

7.1%
  2. I think it is good but it is currently too harsh

4.8%
  3. I think a two-stage penalty system should be used instead (see below)

12.1%
  4. I think only 'invalidated laps' should be used as a penalty, like in the tech preview

49.5%
  5. I think there shouldn't be any penalties at all for track limits, apart from serious corner cutting

26.6%
  1. Rune Brambo

Rune Brambo Rookie

Agreed, one or two warnings and then a drivethrough is enough. Though if the penalty isn't served a DQ or post race time penalty should be given.

Darren Blythe likes this.
  2. F2kSel

F2kSel Racer

I've gone with option four, having seen something like this before I found it to be unfair and cause accidents.

If the car in front is a fraction wider than the flowing car the first car slows and gets hit from the rear.
    A car goes off track to avoid an accident he gets a penalty or to avoid the penalty they try and drive through the accident causing mayhem.

You shouldn't need slow downs in gravel anyway unless they're not working.

3. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Gamer

At least funny to see growing this discussion... and thank you Kunos for restoring the "Off-track 5 Seconds Penalty" into 0.2.1
    My question is very easy and without second intention: why are you all guys worried about penalties? The easier solution is a responsible way to drive. Don't you like the 5 seconds or don't you like the DT as well as the Stop&Go, the lap deletion or other modes? Well, do not cut!

4. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Its not always clear cut though. Some circuits allow you to run very wide, like at Monza at Ascari. Anyway its artificial having a slow down function, its supposed to be a simulation.

5. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

I'm not saying that I don't think there should be a penalty, it's the type of penalty that exists. I think having invalidated laps/a drive through after a few offences is perfectly legitimate. The problem with the 5 second penalty is that it's annoying and unrealistic, because it takes away control from you.

Regarding the "driving responsibly", the reality is that I don't trigger the penalty very often, it's just an annoying thing when I do. Plus, this is a RACING sim, and if you watch real racing, drivers make mistakes all the time (especially in qualifying).

6. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

atm there isn't any penalty in practice, right? And all lap times count? This means I don't know if my laptimes are valid, and I can't learn where the track limits are in practice mode.

Could we please have a warning message for leaving track limits and invalidate the lap in practice mode?
    For any time attack/hot lap/qualifying mode it should be the same I think, no need to have a slow down, but invalidate the lap.

For MP though we of course need some sort of slow down. I think the way iRacing is doing it is very good, you can leave the racing line before slowing down. I know, this is probably a bit tricky to implement, you'd need to have some sort of reference to measure the given up time. But having this reference would also allow measuring the time gained, and you could only give a penalty if there was actually time gained, not if you did a mistake and lost time anyway. I think it would be worth the effort.

Cheers

Erwin likes this.
  7. abpetri

abpetri Rookie

dudes I nearly stopped playing since update, all because of this silly penalty and the impossibility of removing it through race.ini
    I understand the value of it and the attempt to discipline drivers, but I don't think this will be the best solution.
    I hope it's updated asap, I'd like to get back on track without that annoying interference

8. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

I is still off for me ? .. weird and I definitely got the update

nah, keep it realistic, in real life you would have your engineer/crew chief telling you to give the place back/don't cut , rather then icon flashing somewhere
    plus I was was to drive from cockpit view , I will mostly likely turn off ALL MY UI and rely only on what my car and guy with pitboard tells me

9. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

I think now it's only on in some modes (unless there's been another update since I last played a few days ago), so Time Trial and Hotlap have the penalty but Free Practice doesn't.

10. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

that could explain it, since i'm 99% of the time running free practice

11. abpetri

abpetri Rookie

oh there it is. lol
    I've been playing only in hotlap sessions... Back to track asap hahaha.
    But still, the peanlty feature bothers me because even if I make a correctable mistake, my overall concentration and race-flow gets demolished. Silly comparison, but I get that same feeling when I was a child and grown-ups would stop me from doing what I liked. Sometimes altgouh a driver may seem pretty chaotic doesn't means that he wont be a serious driver, neither means that every 100% of them will be crashers. It's easy, just imagine what would happen if a BTCC real race had this kind of penalty for driving out of track.
    If the driver made a huge mistake, he won't recover anyway. Grass+hot rubber is like soap in real life.. so let the guy deal with his mistake anyways. ;)
    But on with the development! Let's not make a fuss out of this right. :)

12. BlitzPig_EL

BlitzPig_EL Gamer

So far I'm really liking the sim, with one exception, that giant hand that comes done and grabs your car if you so much as put a wheel over the curbing. In all the years I have crewed for and driven real cars on the track, I have never seen any system that would slow you down if you raise the ire of the chief steward.

After your session, sure you would get a talking to and perhaps a penalty, but even the Steward of the Meeting
    has no way to control your throttle while on track.

It's a pretty gamey solution to a minor issue, especially during a practice session. Sure if it is during qualification or the race, you should incur penalty, but it has to be assessed after the fact, via lap time penalty or a black flag stop and go penalty during the session itself.

At least it should be a switchable difficulty setting, especially for single car practice.

13. Horus

Horus Alien

In total agreement here, this kind of reminds me of the silliness that was GTLegends missions/licences. You buy a sim to be a sim, not a mixed up sim with arcade elements, I know AC will have arcade style game play as well as a full simulation, but they should be kept apart. I have never been a fan of AI race stewards, personally I prefer to leave the cheaters to their conscience, if you need to cheat then you are not racing anyone, least yourself. :)

14. Totally agree, if someone feels the need of cheating he/she will only waste the great sim experience they bought from Kunos… waste of time and money. This should be enough and shouldn't affect my simulation experience introducing urealistic penalty elements.

Sent from my Nexus 4 with Tapatalk 4

15. BigTool4U

BigTool4U Racer

I hope KUNOS will consider the results of this survey.

I simply hate the 5 seconds penalty, it destroys my concentration, many times it makes the car spins out of control and the lap basically useless.
    I would like the invalidated lap back, like in the TechPreview and other serious sims.

16. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

I usually brake to slow the car down below 50mph/kph and go again, not necessary must wait for 5sec ...

17. kalabaleek

kalabaleek Simracer

So... What's the difference between practice and hotlap? I've only driven HotLap as that's the only place to score times.
    Practice seems like an unnecessary mode?

18. TCLF

TCLF Alien

Practice is for setupping, hotlapping is for driving hotlaps.

19. kalabaleek

kalabaleek Simracer

But... you can set up the car in hotlap too? One keypress to go to the pits?

20. TCLF

TCLF Alien

yes, but you don't have the pressure of your times getting recorded, so you can put all your concentration into setupping