1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Physics/ffb in assetto corsa vs iracing vs real life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Radiantm3, Feb 25, 2015.

1. yusupov

yusupov Alien

the ffb in iracing has really put me off for awhile now. everything else im fine w/ or even think its great. but the ffb is not only totally unlifelike but also dead feeling (yes i have it setup as recommended). i honestly prefer some simcade/arcade ffb to iracing's or at least its close...its frustrating bc they have a ffb guy who clearly cares but his opinion of what makes good ffb seems to be unique, to put it nicest way possible. its nothing like GSCE/rf2, or AC/R3E, which have very differnt modes of ffb i really like each (rf2 can't be beat though). iracing is just..uhg. i go a few days w/out playing rf2 & the ffb makes my fingers tingle. iR i get kinda queasy thinking about. yeah i need help :D

Radiantm3 likes this.
  2. I've never played any other 'real' sim, so AC is my only experience. But for the most part, i've found it to be really satisfying, and convincing at recreating what a real wheel would feel like.

When driving at track speeds, i have no complaints, but when cruising down Lake Louise or Trento-Bondone at low speeds, so less than 70mph, as i would in real life, the steering feels slightly off.

I can't really pinpoint it, but i think theres not enough force keeping the wheel straight (i have min force at 12 i think), even though overall force is probably more than any real life car i've driven. As in i feel like i'm doing more work to keep the car cruising than i would in real life.

Mogster likes this.
  3. yusupov

yusupov Alien

well that is one thing, iracing does have great road feel, at least as far as surface, probably second only to rf2 (but the laserscanning makes it 1st rank imo). but you hit the nail on the head w/ weight transfer...i really hope they get it sorted bc its got so much going for it but the ffb lately just keeps me away

Radiantm3 likes this.
  4. Quffy

Quffy Alien

The gamma from advanced ffb controls does just that. Is recommended gamma 1 for ffb wheels for 1:1 steering input, but if you increase the value I think the tyres will only start to move after you've moved a bit the steering wheel, like you described, but haven't tested yet with a wheel, only when I used to play with gamepad.

5. MrGiggly

MrGiggly Racer

My 13 year old Golf has a 'deadzone' of couple of degrees. Its had a new steering rack but I'm guessing new ball joints are on the list of upcoming fixes. Steering is pretty numb and uncommunicative but that's coming from 8 previous years of exige/elise ownership and spoilt with no PAS, excellent geometry and a 300mm wheel. Would be really nice if AC simulated non PAS cars heavy steering at low speeds.

Lucas - Xtremepsionic likes this.
  6. I agree, the ramp down of resistance as you gain speed on a non assisted rack should be simulated!

7. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

Essentially I find with a T500, it's like racing without power steering. Or power-assisted steering. I own a 1986 300zx with power-assisted steering and it's quite similar to most sims. More closely in between AC and RF2.
    It's before standard power steering came into play. Older cars like my 300 are definitely more in line with what most sim racers would be used to.

8. Traind

Traind Hardcore Simmer

I agree with your comments... and not just because I have also drive an e46 M3--for the past 10 years :)

I recently re-subscribed and the latest build/tire model from iRacing has improved low speed control and I actually can catch slides at higher speeds now with at least some degree of regularity. The limit is still not as clearly telegraphed as it is in AC but better than it was. I got into a pretty big slide in a GT3 race at Watkins Glen in the high speed turn after the bus stop but caught it before going round. A year ago that just would not have happened in iRacing... at least not for me.

The best FFB though is RFactor 2. In most of the ISI built cars it feels great. RF2 is particularly good at telegraphing feel at the limit and the RF2 engine is very sensitive to throttle at the limit as well so, paired with the FFB, this is a great combination.

9. Masternick13

Masternick13 Gamer

AC is great for racing and with slight oversteer but when doing full on drifting it still feels off to me, I find it much harder to hold drifts and run a good line, it also doesn't help that the handbrake in AC is horrible.

For me Live for Speed is still the closest to real life drifting atm.

gahorneck and Zentiusd like this.
  10. ouvert

ouvert Alien

well not really .. dont expect real cars to feel anything like FFB in AC, iracing or Simbin games ... youve never driven a car but you probably was a passenger .. well congratulation youve allready felt most of a car :)
    in cars without powersteering you feel lot a resistance when standing or driving really slow but other than that you dont feel much (most of a time you can drive with one finger) ... with FFB it is hard .. you can go with as low fake forces like AC does or you can add more information like simbin or Reiza does .. niether way is right .. i preffer fine tuned simbin FFB (via config file .. when I add just enough info about weight transfer without it interfeering into steering .. just feels better and makes a big difference in car feeling.. you know what is gonna happend before it happens) .. and it feels weird not to feel at all what you feel with your body ... but it is a matter of taste and what you are used to ..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Lucas - Xtremepsionic likes this.
  11. wedge_one

wedge_one Simracer

Welcome to the club.

iRacing FFB is far from being good when compared to AC and rF2. And yeah, try rF2, even the demo.

yusupov likes this.
  12. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

Am I the only one who doesn't like rF2 FFB? I'm just curious... And yes I've only tried the demos, a few times actually. I don't know exactly why, I just don't like it. AC feels much more natural for me.

It's ok though because the biggest turn off for me are the obsolete graphics. rF2 looks very bad, even R3E looks better and as I side note I like the FFB in R3E.

13. Snooky

Snooky Racer

No, i like the ffb on rf2 very much. And if you max the graphics in the new build it looks quite okay. In fact driving in rf2 improved my driving style in AC as well. I can now control the car much better on limits. The ffb Rf2 has more detail on drifting i believe but this can also depend on the setup i guess.

Powersteering sucks a lot of details wich the ffb in both sims give you back. L was driving old military trucks in rl without powersteering (mostly mercedes 1013) wich had more details. There was also a deadzone tolerance for about two thumbs to left or right wich is ok. In cars it may not be more than one thumb i assume.

14. iVG

iVG Alien

There is no dead zone in AC ffb that is hard coded into the game. IMO, it comes from the tyre physics which, depending in the tyre/steering degree might give you 2-3 degrees of dead feeling due to try tolerance to very low slip angle. You can test it yourself with your car - turn off the engine while standing still, centre your steering and move it slightly left and right. You should be able to move it at least a degree in each direction without much resistance. Once you exceed that you start hearing the scrubbing noise of rubber on tarmac.
    I think this is due to tyre wall bending before that actual tyre contact patch starts moving. Again high road tyres and low road pressure is required.

P.s. not to be confused with actual steering rack problem.

HONDAHOLIC likes this.
  15. My new Logitech G27 has a nice, firm feel to it (even close to the centre). In fact, this has made me realise just how "loose" the feel of my old G25 had become. The G27 gear shifter also feels significantly tighter than the G25 version. Conversely, the G25 pedals must have remained very consistent through those years, because the new G27 pedals feel very similar. I am really looking forward to racing with the new wheel tonight....

16. Slamdrunken

Slamdrunken Racer

I think that it's because your g27 is new & your g25 is old & tyred

17. Yes, that's basically what I was saying. Subtle changes are generally undetectable over a long period of time. Whatever the case, those improvements are very welcome!

18. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

But what wears out...gears, the Sensor? I ask because I am currently modding my DFGT and I really dont see mich that could wear out in there. The Sensor is optical so no wear. AS for the gears...yeah sure they might, but only over a long period of time that can be extended by Grease maintenance. Mine has several hundreds of hours and the gears look like new.

19. iVG

iVG Alien

It might be the motor that driving the whole gear system getting weaker over time. Dunno.

20. Jos_theboss

Jos_theboss Hardcore Simmer

The g27 has helical gears, the g25 normal ones. That might be the difference.

Christopher Low likes this.