1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Steering wheel hardness

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Iketani, Jun 29, 2015.

1. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Have you even tried to follow the tip to use 100% on dampening in logitech profiler, put to 100 in advanced wheel menu and just put it to whatever you want in the garage before you start driving? It can be enough to use only a few % of dampening.

to me after reading your posts you want a constant clipping no matter if you turn or going straight. But i suck at FFB so cant really tell.

2. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I begin to understand that friend wants the steering force from rack.
    If this is the case, as far as I know, this force is hardware coded and is generated from suspension geometry and tyres. The only think you can do is to adjust the gain so that you get maximum forces but without chipping.

3. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Isnt that what filter and minimum force are for? As I said, I suck att FFB settings,

4. liakjim

liakjim Alien

No. Filter cuts some of the frequencies, if you put filter to 100% , the wheel will stop responding. Minimum force is a value below of which the system will never dropped. This is to eliminate dead zone in many wheels.

5. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Oh, thanks. But what if he put some dampering? Shouldnt that give the same feeling as heavier wheel?

6. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Yes, but as he said , it's fake and linear. An example: in iracing , wheel is heavy and when you start it becomes light, as expected. In AC no.
    But in A.C. you feel the weight better increased when you are in a high downforce car. So every game has it's approach and it's character.

7. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

They could maybe make that as a function then. I leave the thread now since i dont have a clue about what the talk is about :)

8. Iketani

Iketani Simracer

For example: McLaren F1 GTR
    Default FFB config (100% of gain)=Exagerate level of FFB effects.
    If I put 50% of gain (for example)=Correct level of FFB effects but then the steering wheel resistance very low.
    If I put 50% of gain (for example) and 100% of damper=Correct level of FFB effects but then the steering wheel resistance very fake xD

9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

If I was you, I'd try damper values lower than 100 %. I don't see a systematic approach in testing one extreme value and then deciding it's all fake.
    Also, you never replied to my suggestion of using the min force slider.

10. Iketani

Iketani Simracer

Ok I'll try with less damper. And I've 3 in minimum force, but I don't think that this is the problem...

11. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Wait for v1.2 game update (maybe in around a month) that will correct the SAT (self aligning torque) values in the tires/wheel, as it was announced by the devs. That should mean you can use higher ffb% for more cars, where you're now using lower ffb% because the high forces coming from the car to your wheel are too high, but more correct SAT values I think will fix that.

Iketani likes this.
  12. Iketani

Iketani Simracer

I hope so :) Thanks for the info.

13. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Maybe not. Clipping is not from SAT currently.

14. Fivizzz

Fivizzz Simracer

The magic number with the G27 is 13% minimum force. Below 10% you must have a terrible FFB deadzone on the first 5° to 10° of rotation, which is typical with the G27. I don't think this is what you mean either, but it can't hurt to set that correctly to begin with.

Iketani likes this.
  15. Iketani

Iketani Simracer

Ok thanks.

Returning to the topic, I've just put 25% of gain, and now the steering wheel resistance it's veeeery low xD Seriously, the FFB effects at 100% of gain are very exagerates. I'm always waiting for option to adjust the steering resistance...:(

16. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Try settings in my signature. Gain at 100%, everything else at 0% . To avoid clipping, use the anti clipping tool and adjust FFB strength, from inside garage in each car and in each track.

17. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Ok, here's how it works:

The game will figure out the steering rack forces based on tire physics and steering geometry.
    It will apply any modifiers like power steering, filtering, gains and so on.
    This value is sent as a torque request value from 0 to 100% to the wheel.
    Your wheel can output a torque from 0 to 3Nm (cold G27 in mint condition)

So, the pretty graph that you get from wheelcheck app is how this torque request is translated into torque. You can (a little simplified, granted) use my app and read the graph (this is the torque request sent to the wheel) and see the corresponding torque your wheel will generate. For many wheels this is not a linear relationship, the G27 is particularly bad.

But, some cars have VERY high steering rack forces, others are very light. The G27 can only output 3Nm, which is not a whole lot, so the force needs to be scaled down. This is like turning down the volume (gain) of your stereo, so your music (ffb signal) sound nice and clean (no clipping). This is what my app can help you with.
    So, once you have the ffb gain set appropriately, the cars that generate very high steering forces will naturally feel "lighter" when the steering rack is unloaded, like on straights. I like exammples with numbers, so here we go:

Car 1 is a high downforce formula car, so it can generate a max force of 10Nm at the rack. For the G27 to be able to reproduce the entire range of forces for that car the gain needs to be set to 3Nm/10Nm * 100 = 30%

Car 2 is a family car with power steering and it only generate 3Nm peak, and the gain is of course 100% for this car.

But here's the kicker: Going down the straight slowly both cars generate almost the same force (road noise and stuff) at let's say 0,5Nm for both cars, just for the sake of this example. So, the level of force you feel with the family car is unscaled at 0,5Nm, but the formula car this noise is lowered to 30%, or 0,15Nm. So the formula car feels really light in your hands going down the straight where the family car feels nice and solid, quite the opposite of what your intuition tells you.

Or there is a second theory:
    You are talking about the resistance you feel in teh wheel when the car is stationary. iRacing and rFactor2 have faked effects to simulate this, Kunos hasn't thought of this as important since you are generally moving when racing and it's irrelevant except to raise a discussion like this.

Could the OP please clarify what kind of resistance you want to feel, because I'm still not sure, and I think most of us here are more able to help when we understand the problem properly.

liakjim likes this.
  18. Quffy

Quffy Alien

You can't use the same gain% for all cars. Because of things Atle Dreier explained above in his post. In main menu leave it at 100% gain. Now in Car Setup go to Generic tab and if the car is too strong at 100%, lower the force feedback % by how much you think feels good for that car, and take into consideration some high speed corners, because that's where the steering will be harder; but also take in consideration the lower speed corners, where you need to somewhat feel the car. (the force feedback% from car setup is a multiplier of the gain% from main menu. for example 100 Gain * 73 ffb% = 73% Gain). Use pedals app to check if the forces are clipping (4th bar from the right, will show red color when clipping, a bit red is fine in some situations).

19. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

My app also takes the slower corners into consideration, and it's easier to spot clipping than the pedals app. :)

20. Iketani

Iketani Simracer

I give up an other time... xD For most cars I've 25% of gain... perfect FFB effects strenght for me, but then the steering resistance it's very low (straights, corners, low speed, high speed...).