1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Talk about that AI

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by piano.player, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

As far as I know the AI isn't currently capable of moving off line if it knows it's being lapped, if this was incorporated it could maybe be used for multi class racing?

I believe Kunos have an automated system that tests every official car on every track and reports back if a car leaves the track and path adjustments are needed. Maybe it could also generate some numbers based on laptime, top speed, minimum speed, maybe sector times etc. and attach this data to each car.

If the car in front looks at this data and knows that it's not racing in the same class as the car behind, it goes into "I'm being lapped" mode to make it easier for the faster car to pass by moving off line closer to the side of the track. Maybe even brakes a little early if necessary.

Similarly, if the faster car sees a slower car ahead it goes into "Be Brave" mode to make the pass quicker, and doesn't chicken out because it knows the slower car will yield because AI knows that the other AI has "seen" it.

It's going to mess up and cause carnage sometimes, particularly when racing us humans, but look at real multi-class racing with humans and you'll see the same thing :D

Likewise in Practice and Qualifying if an AI car comes out of the pits it stays in "I'm being lapped" mode for the first half of the lap, similarly if it knows it's going into the pits it won't race anyone.

I'm sure Stefano has thought of all this stuff, but probably hasn't had the time to explore it fully because he's had to create Hybrid systems, locked diffs and all sorts of other systems required for all the new cars we've had lately :) Oh, and moving office and restructuring the company... :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Quffy, Epistolarius and Andy-R like this.
  2. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

(100% AI)
    There are also situations where the AI surprises me - though not sure about the way it joined back, if that part with the asphalt runoff weren't valid track the AI would probably also wait until it's safer to rejoin.

deni80s and Fat-Alfie like this.
  3. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

This is still an issue sadly.

Cuba likes this.
  4. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

Is that a joke? o_O

nate likes this.
  5. piano.player

piano.player Gamer

Well, according to the very strange behaviour the site shows ONLY when I am logged in with THIS account and only this account, the conclusion is not that difficult. At least I have absolutely no other explaination for this. On another account and also not logged in at all, the site behaves as always, fast and responsive. It is also not my line, it is 1GBit line, glassfibre, direct server setup...

And as the support is not reacting to my request on solving this issue, the conclusion is even more obvious.

6. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

It certainly is.

nate likes this.
  7. Turk

Turk Alien

Aliens?

nate, Fat-Alfie, mms and 1 other person like this.
  8. Berry

Berry Alien

Lol, this was not criticism, this was straight out flame about a known subject/issue while being incredibly rude.You're probably not imagining things, as far as I know, you can get a 'Miserable User' status which heavily restricts your forum access, either way, you deserved it if it's the case :).

Fat-Alfie and Andrew_WOT like this.
  9. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

I think a trick to help AI race better is for races have AI cars take on different tyre compounds when there is pit stop involved.

I really hope @Aristotelis or @LordKunos consider this in future.

For example SF-15T around Silverstone, all AI cars will take medium compound tyres and pit once and take medium compound tyres again.

There is no variation.

Now if you could have some cars take on softs, hards, medium etc it would be passing mayhem as AI have no issue overtaking other AI when there is 0.5-1 second difference in speed between each other.

Consider when you load up practice session with Sf-15T they are all on different tyres and there is tons of passing.

So I am sure its possible to make that work in race.

Probably zero percent chance kunos staff will read this post considering the thread title :(

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  10. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Alex Jones need to look into this. If Kunos slow down users account because of criticism against the AI, who knows what the AI is hiding.

nate, BrandonW77 and bondyboy like this.
  11. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

Have you done any Wireshark analysis to confirm this?

12. bromstarzan

bromstarzan Hardcore Simmer

So use the other account, problem solved.

Fat-Alfie and Minolin like this.
  13. They are really bad on the entire last quarter of the lap on the Nordschleife. They're especially terrible at the fast esses just before the 2nd mini karousel.
    And the entire corner section just before and after Youtube corner.

14. Turk

Turk Alien

I would say that since switching to VR the AI is offering up no opposition at all. So far at least every race I've done against them I've won quite easily, I did a race with the Porsche cup to practice for tomorrow's racedepartment race and I was 2-3 seconds faster than them. I started from the back, spun twice and still won the race by a large margin.

I find it a bit hard to get to upset about that though, as I see it I've simply outgrown the AI. I've been doing this for four years now I should be getting better at it. AI is always going to be at a disadvantage to a human and the only way to rectify that is to dedicate more processing power to it or have them break the laws of Kunos physics.

Certainly want to see AI improved, even with my 3 second advantage I'm nowhere near the world record time on RSR, but I still maintain that if you want a proper challenge you have to race against people, no matter how good the AI gets it's only ever an imitation of a human driver.

15. AccAkut

AccAkut Alien

Kunos is way too Italian for low level shenanigans. If you make enemies on this forum you're straight up banned :D

And that this thread has not been deleted or even renamed (which are powers the mods DO have and use often) shows that they don't exactly disagree with you.

Andrew_WOT, Fat-Alfie and Minolin like this.
  16. St3fan

St3fan Alien

From my tests with Porsche GT3 Cup I find Porsche cup AI is not fast in the first place, compared to other cars. But your experience sounds interesting to me. 100% AI shouldn't be that slow. What combo were you trying? How many cars?

17. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

A lot of the AI is very slow now, whether or not it needs re-examining after the tire model update or whether it just needs general work I can't say. Most cars are a couple seconds slower than they could/should/need to be.

18. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

For some reason the AI turned right into me because of the pit exit at Nürburgring? The Turbo would've just overtaken me if it didn't turn. Race in the 911R against an assortment of cars with 100% AI.

kofotsjanne likes this.
  19. Turk

Turk Alien

I'm not sure, it was an issue in general with the porsche cup though. GT3 is a different story, I find them much faster.

20. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

I've been hoping for some sort of significant AI update since last summer. Hope it happens one day.

I still remember how Stefano was excited about how AI could drift the old Maserati around Magione, and how that could be incorporated into AI to make it more human. And 1.7 had very nice AI, then they got neutered.. and they've never felt the same since. Some issues could be fixed with just better AI line, LilSki made AI line for Spa which makes AI handle Eau Rouge with no problems.. so it's not just the algorithm but AI line at least in Spa

And I would never say it's "utterly stupid" or "poorly programmed". Far from it, is quite good. And there's been clear improvements, like AI losing stability control on contact. But still hoping for that larger "step up" one day. On top of my wishlist, by large margin

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    TwoHardCore likes this.